HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #31 of 1,984
Expect a lot of 4.4mm DAP in 2018. R2R2000 will have a lot of competition. There are number of high end amp makers who are also will be releasing portable daps with 4.4mm plug. The designer behind LPG, who is currently working on his own under XIAUDIO is going to release a pentaconn class A amplifier.

I'm looking forward to 2018 and my only rule is if it doesnt have a pentaconn I'm not interested.

Dec 25, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #32 of 1,984
I think the pricing is based on the other R2R portable DAP and simply because it is an approach never tried before. I certainly dislike the pricing and wish it was more in line with other DAP but naturally the market will decide it.

Part of me wants to be positive, I shall wait till I hear it and judge it for myself.
Long live Tera Player:)
Happy Christmas.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #34 of 1,984
Expect a lot of 4.4mm DAP in 2018. R2R2000 will have a lot of competition. There are number of high end amp makers who are also will be releasing portable daps with 4.4mm plug. The designer behind LPG, who is currently working on his own under XIAUDIO is going to release a pentaconn class A amplifier.

I'm looking forward to 2018 and my only rule is if it doesnt have a pentaconn I'm not interested.
I own the Fiio X7ii and they say there is a 4.4mm amp module coming soon, ill have to try that. I'm much more a fan of the bigger jacks especially over a miniscule 2.5mm jack.

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 1,984
c6b5b962e1f53a0586eb479f27e1d742e5ab241f.1514285430.jpg

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #37 of 1,984
So PCM1704 is single channel so you need two to have stereo. In this size it is safe to say 24/96 is best that it can do. And if it is done properly it can sound like your typical PCM1704.

Dec 26, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #38 of 1,984
As a recent fan of hifiman through a acquisition of a 901s I've been anticipating their new flagship announcement as I noticed they took off the 901 line from their site in the last few months. Them going with a r2r was unexpected in my book, however I have been curious to see a better r2r than what I saw with the walnut. Tempted on the combo price of player and headphones now.....decisions decisions.

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #40 of 1,984
Been reading everything possible about the R2R2000 music player. It will be released in march 2018. According to Hifimann thease is the last batch of the PCM 1704U- K and the only R2R chip that can decode 24 bit-384 khz.
There is no mention of the internal memory but cards of 256 GB and above should work. Design belongs to German company Kurz Kurz. Looking forward to see some videos of the UI and the player in general.If you have additional information please share with us.
Happy New Year to you all high quality music lovers:)

Dec 26, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #42 of 1,984
I'm honestly not being sarcastic, here, but I reckon the single most noteworthy feature of this DAP isn't the DAC implementation, but the adoption of 4.4 balanced socketry.

I'm not even a fan of balanced.

I just think it's about flippin' time one of the DAP-makers had the balls to throw 2.5mm balanced sockets in the garbage bin, where they belong, and move forward with something more robust. A&K's continued use of 2.5mm, on high-pricetag DAPs, is a slap in the face to customers who deserve better.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #43 of 1,984
I think the combo price is strictly local.

There's a cult comedy-horror series, on BBC, call 'The League of Gentlemen', which has a recurring pair of characters, who run 'a local shop for local people':

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzbbJT30jo8

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJzLtMrV01E

Anyway, back to DAPs, I dislike the price of this newest offering from HiFiMan, but I hope it performs well, for those who buy it. It'll be interesting to see what Fang and his team have achieved - it was only 6 weeks ago that I was idly pondering whether the world would ever see another DAP from HiFiMan...

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #44 of 1,984
I'm honestly not being sarcastic, here, but I reckon the single most noteworthy feature of this DAP isn't the DAC implementation, but the adoption of 4.4 balanced socketry.

I'm not even a fan of balanced.

I just think it's about flippin' time one of the DAP-makers had the balls to throw 2.5mm balanced sockets in the garbage bin, where they belong, and move forward with something more robust. A&K's continued use of 2.5mm, on high-pricetag DAPs, is a slap in the face to customers who deserve better.

iBasso did that as well a few months ago with a new amp module (amp4 w/4.4mm HO) for their DX200 dap.

Dec 26, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #45 of 1,984
Thanks, twister, that info slipped under my radar, as I'm not as avid a Head-Fier as I used to be.

To be fair to iBasso, they also used HiRose connector for some time, a few years ago, iirc, so they appear to have been tacitly acknowledging that 2.5mm socketry was/is inadequate for portable usage.

Nice that modular amp cards allows the flexibility to introduce different connectivity options, even after the mother device has been released to market (and let's remember HiFiMan were quite innovative in this regard, with their earlier DAP developments) .

Price aside, I'm pleasantly surprised to see how compact this new HiFiMan DAP is, in comparison to the 801, 901, and iBasso DX100!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back