HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Dec 29, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #61 of 1,984
source: https://weibo.com/shzyt?refer_flag=1001030103_

size.jpg

Dec 29, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #62 of 1,984
Pity you don't have a comparison pic with the updated 'PAW' that is rumoured to be on the way (same designer, differerent brand, perhaps), in 2018

Dec 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #64 of 1,984
The guy who took the picture said near the maximum output of R2R2000 it could power the HE1000V2 without any issues and he really liked the sound. I think Hifiman has a number of working sample with different tuning and based on people reaction they will finalise.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #67 of 1,984
Well.. Fang Bian basically took shot at everybody during the press conference... In these Weibo posts he main points were:
1. R2R2000 looks better than all non-Chinese DAPs and sound better than all Chinese DAPs

I'm really not digging the design to be honest... I love how small the device sounds, however it's really not better looking than all DAPs.
I'ts like they've tried to copy some of the A&K design signature and took all the bad bits. In saying that, better than their previous designs of the 901/s...

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #68 of 1,984
Can't agree. Personally I find the aesthetics of the 901s to be somewhat steam punkish. To put it another way I feel like Spock searching for signs of life. To put it yet one more way, perhaps, from all the 90's animes showing old tech from earlier eras..either way big fan. I will agree and say that Hifiman could have done a lot better to make themselves stand out from the competition as opposed to going along with aesthetic cues from others.

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #72 of 1,984
New model, fancy German design, R2R dac, and balanced....curious if you can swap batteries out like the 901/s. Anyone know?

I kind of disagree:

New model : so what? They have never sold a DAP above 1.2k at most
Fancy german design. I work with many german companies, including leading designers, and that is not it (in my opinion not just a matter of taste, just cheap finish)
R2R Dac : old and cheap (can sound good, but should be so expensive)
Balance : like everyone these days above 200$

This doesn't mean I am not curious because :
- It is small
- It attempts to take a different direction technically

Jan 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #73 of 1,984
New model, fancy German design, R2R dac, and balanced....curious if you can swap batteries out like the 901/s. Anyone know?
May I ask you try reading this with sarcasm? Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. I'm not standing behind the decision for the R2R2000 to be at the price it is. I will say, I feel and think that for everything involved as far as build materials and the feature set it could be a lot more reasonable. 1400-1600 no more. I'm also currently having trouble being excited for it because looking at that sony I feel the value is justified with everything you get, but more importantly the designing and implementation of various components. Like you, I will agree with the change in avenue in offering something different and I'm personally just looking forward to seeing a what would be in my mind be a proper r2r dac based player. I don't seem to understand at the moment why a r2r dac based players currently and in the past have always managed to come without a screen, nor why other brands have so far thus passed on using any r2r based dac. Either way at this point if the Hifiman doesn't seriously contend with the current market offerings it will be found out quite fast I suspect.

Depending on everyone for impressions!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back