iMod Vcap dock & PORTABLE Vcap Dock - Info and Talk Soup
Aug 4, 2007 at 6:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 328
ALO Vcap iMod Docking Station

I just wanted to post some information in more detail about the ALO Vcap Docks for the 5G/5.5G iMod.

After many revisions we have finally settled on a final design that suites the needs of function and form. Here it is:

2ALO-iMod-LG-cap-Dock.jpg

Myrtle-Wood-Dock-pod-sm.jpg
Myrtle-Wood-Dock-back-sm.jpg

DETAILS

-- V-caps! For the very best audio quality possible, our Vcap Dock features reference-grade OIMP Vcaps (Teflon Capacitors | Oil Capacitors by V-Cap) by VHaudio. These are connected from the dock pins to the output jacks using the OIMP Vcap leads, so there is no added wiring or solder connections in the signal path! This is as pure as it gets, and all other wiring is done point-to-point (P2P) using our own special hook up wire.

ALO-iMod-Vcaps.jpg

-- High-quality Cardas RCA output jacks

-- 1/8” stereo mini-jack output

-- An LED indicator on the front panel to indicate when charging of the iPod battery is taking place (via a rear-mounted “on/off” pushbutton switch and included linear power supply). Switching the charger “off” with the pushbutton switch is designated for critical listening where any AC line noise via the power supply is removed from the iMod unit.

-- Solid wood construction

We start with a solid block of wood and hog out wood to sculpt the Vcap dock. NO GLUE /SCREWS/ or NAILS are used. In an attempt to keep costs down we have moved from making the interior cavity by hand to using a $20,000 CNC machine that we have contracted out. The outer scoop out is still completed by hand.

VHaudio also makes a Teflon Vcap cap that costs $300 (per cap!) that is even better than the oil impregnated ones we are using. If you want us to make one for you with these caps please add $500 to the listed price, yeah they are a little more expensive! wow.

PRICING INFO

I cannot begin to tell you all how difficult the manufacturing of these has been and continues to be. We have already made seven of these with all but two being sold / spoken for. We are in the process of making more but I cannot yet say when they will be finished because I have learned that things usually take much longer than I estimate. As these become available, I will put them up on the website.

The final price of the Vcap dock is still not determined but this is due to be determined out shortly. Wood choices are going to affect the pricing. The two you see here, Paduke and Myrtle Wood will be priced as basic along with Coco bolo, while Maple and Camphor burl will be a added cost.

ALO-Vcap-Maple2-sm.jpg
ALO-Vcap-Maple-sm.jpg

I will let the reviews speak for themselves but both Vinnie and I agree that the sound coming out of the ipod (iMod) has reached it limits with the iMod and Vcap dock. I as a audiophile continue to me amazed by what I am hearing from mine. I want to thank Vinnie Rossi of RWA for all the technical assistance I received through out the development of this product.

Lastly, please be sure to check out the upcoming review of the iMod and Vcap dock at 6Moons (estimated to be featured at the end of this month)!

Thanks

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 4, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 328
I got my VCap dock yesterday. I will post more comments when it's fully burned in, but I have to say, even with just a few hours (12 hours break in so far) on it, the sound is simply stunning. I wasn't expecting a big difference between this and the normal female iMod dock, but there is MUCH deeper and tighter bass, even smoother and more detailed treble, and more liquid midrange. I am pretty impressed! NICE product, Ken! Ken and Vinnie have made my iPod capable of just shockingly good sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 328
Hey Ken,

Like Skylab, I only have a few hours on my V-cap Dock (under 20 hours right now) and right off the bat I can say that its sound is in a new league compared to the ALO iMod Superkind cable. It is hard to believe how much better it will sound with more burn-in, but even more surprising is how much better it sounds compared to the standard iMod dock cables with the BG caps. These V-caps are very, very fine!
very_evil_smiley.gif

With the V-cap Dock, I am hearing more dimensionality, more tone and more texture to the sound. Cymbals have a more natural shimmer and vocals sound even more rich. I really hope that those who have the opportunity to listen to it get a chance to compare it to much more $$$ high-end CD players and/or external dacs. In terms of musicality, this ranks up with the best that I've heard!

Again, I have a lot more burn-in to put on this dock (but at least I can run it 24/7 on the linear power supply to speed up this process
wink.gif
).

I also want to say that the build quality is really exceptional... what a solid, gorgeous looking dock (mine is in Paduke wood)! My wife wishes our furniture looked that good!
biggrin.gif

VERY nice work!
cool.gif

Vinnie

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 328
Ok, anychance this caps could be fitted inside a hammonds enclosure with a correct dock on one end a mini out the other? Some of us do not carry the iPod as a portable but as a transportablea and having this option would be a welcome one. If the version in the hammonds case had a charger it would also be a welcome addition. BTW I vote for silver cables.
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, anychance this caps could be fitted inside a hammonds enclosure with a correct dock on one end a mini out the other? Some of us do not carry the iPod as a portable but as a transportablea and having this option would be a welcome one. If the version in the hammonds case had a charger it would also be a welcome addition. BTW I vote for silver cables.
biggrin.gif

Mrarroyo,

Thats a great idea! Let me investigate and get back to you.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I second the motion. The vDock sure is a beautiful piece of work but my workplace would nick it to death :frowning2:

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second the motion. The vDock sure is a beautiful piece of work but my workplace would nick it to death :frowning2:

I have an enclosure on order right now and will be making test unit shortly.

Hold on...

Ken

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 328
At 40 hours now. Sound definitely improved after about 30 hours (overnight), and it's JUST STUNNING now. It is really VERY hard to believe that the source of the sound I am getting is still an iPod. I have had a 4G iMod iPod for well over a year, and as impressive as it is, the 5.5g iMod with the VCap dock is really shockingly good sounding. No question it sounds easily, noticeably better than either of my $1500 digital disc based players (when playing CDs). Granted, it's not that far below them in cost, but it's of course far more convenient
smily_headphones1.gif

Compared to the normal iMod dock, the VCap is more transparent, has deeper AND tighter bass, has slightly more treble extension, slightly more lush mids, and a slightly wider soundstage. I went back and forth repeatedly, and these things are easy to detect.

Again, great work Ken.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an enclosure on order right now and will be making test unit shortly.

Hold on...

Ken

Just as a bit of motivation, I too would be interested in such a thing!

Aug 5, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just for clearing this doubt: this dock works line an line out, right? It doens't have a built in headphone amp?
Can you post your setup Skylab ... ?

Correct, my rig is iMod iPod > VCap dock > Blue Circle Audio SBH Headphone Amp > Headphile deep-cup Darth Beyers:

DSC01413.jpg

Aug 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #15 of 328
Yep, serious EAR candy too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back