iMod Vcap dock & PORTABLE Vcap Dock - Info and Talk Soup
Aug 7, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #31 of 328
There is NO DOUBT you should not use the VCap dock with anything other than a 5.5g iMod. First, only a 5th gen iPod will fit, so no 4G ipod need apply. But more critically, there are huge caps in the signal path! These are needed for the 5.5G iMod, but would totally mess up the sound for anything else. If you really wanted to use this dock just for the looks (and it is beautiful, no doubt), you'd need to see if Ken would custom make you one without the VCaps themselves.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #32 of 328
x3 or is it 4 on the hammond enclosure. Although getting wood would be great and does look so gooood, the metal dock would be more durable and probably would cost less. I have been mulling over the Imod for some time and the V Dock was the news that I was looking forward to...so far the quality of the sound is getting an excellent review from skylab. The Woody tho really does get the total price up there...although I have been looking at used $1200 and under CDPs...

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #34 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So nothing but the Imod works on the Vcap dock ... ?

Correct.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #35 of 328
Why am i not surprised ... ?
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #36 of 328
You shouldn't be, since that is what the VCap dock was designed for
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #37 of 328
skylab,
What skin/case are you using that gives you that wood finish?

Is that an Invisableshield?

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 328
All,

-- The Vcap Dock was only designed for the 5G/5.5G iMods. Sure, you can use a stock 5G/5.5G iPod, but you will not get any benefit from it.

-- 4G iMods are a definite NO because the line-out of the modded 4G units exits from the 1/8" stereo jack on the top (formerally the headphone output) and the line-out from the dock connector is disabled.

-- Ken mentioned to me that he is working on a metal v-cap dock which will be more suitable for portable use (smaller) and less expensive.

I'm sure Ken will add more info to this thread when he gets a chance.

Best regards,

Vinnie

PS: My V-cap Dock has been accumulating the hours of burn-in and sounds even better! It really takes the sound quality of the 5G/5.5G iMod to the max. I know Ryan Clarin of 6moons.com is reviewing one and that review will be out later this month.
cool.gif
I hope he puts it up against a much more expensive dedicated CD player because I know the iMod + Vcap Dock will hold its own just fine
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I built the device with a on off switch for critical listening...

OOPS. I knew that, and then forgot. Your method is perfectly sound [notice the pun...perfect sound...
icon10.gif
]

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
skylab,
What skin/case are you using that gives you that wood finish?

Is that an Invisableshield?

It's a skin from Decal Girl (www.decalgirl.com).

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #41 of 328
Quote:

Mrarroyo,

Thats a great idea! Let me investigate and get back to you.

Ken

Ken, I hope this works. BTW you may want to test submerging the VCAPS in some kind of a resin/glue that solidifies and dampens the caps while inside a transportable enclosure. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #42 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope he puts it up against a much more expensive dedicated CD player because I know the iMod + Vcap Dock will hold its own just fine
wink.gif

It appears that you are going to get a lot of people worked up in the forums when this review comes out.

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #44 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan_can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really tough to drop $550 for v-dock. It would be great if less expensive casing could be used instead of wood.

Ten four on that... hang in there I am working on this.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #45 of 328
Quote:

Ten four on that... hang in there I am working on this.

Ken

Very exciting for me too. Thanks Ken. V-Caps for the People!*

*(with iMods, without $550!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back