iMod Vcap dock & PORTABLE Vcap Dock - Info and Talk Soup
Aug 6, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #18 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.2gotboost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Price would be nice . . .

Sorry about the delay in price, I am in negotiations now with the wood worker on the price he is going to charge me for each finished dock. They are not going to be cheap though. I am pretty sure I will have a figure in a day or two though.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Aug 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 328
Anychance on there being a charging cicuit so it can be charged in that little beast too?

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 328
oicdn -- An LED indicator on the front panel to indicate when charging of the iPod battery is taking place (via a rear-mounted “on/off” pushbutton switch and included linear power supply). Switching the charger “off” with the pushbutton switch is designated for critical listening where any AC line noise via the power supply is removed from the iMod unit.

Skylab, that is a cool looking set-up and thanks for the review.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #21 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oicdn -- An LED indicator on the front panel to indicate when charging of the iPod battery is taking place (via a rear-mounted “on/off” pushbutton switch and included linear power supply). Switching the charger “off” with the pushbutton switch is designated for critical listening where any AC line noise via the power supply is removed from the iMod unit.

Skylab, that is a cool looking set-up and thanks for the review.

I think I am going to switch the power supply that comes with the dock to a switcher (non-linear) because these have removable prongs for other countries.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I am going to switch the power supply that comes with the dock to a switcher (non-linear) because these have removable prongs for other countries.

Ken

Ken,
I think a number of people would be concerned that a switcher would not provide the power quality.

As a suggestion, you could go a route similar to Jan Meier, plus offer PSs for sale:
1. Specify the PS requirements, or recommended ranges, and let everyone in different countries deal with it separately.
2. Offer 2 to 3 (only) recommended USA, Euro, Asia-spec PSs as an extra. This would appease the folks that do not want to shop around.

OR, just do #1. Possibly less headache.

If people are willing to poke around for a good PS for the Corda MOVE, I'm sure many would do the same for the V-Cap dock.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #24 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by V-Duh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken,
I think a number of people would be concerned that a switcher would not provide the power quality.

As a suggestion, you could go a route similar to Jan Meier, plus offer PSs for sale:
1. Specify the PS requirements, or recommended ranges, and let everyone in different countries deal with it separately.
2. Offer 2 to 3 (only) recommended USA, Euro, Asia-spec PSs as an extra. This would appease the folks that do not want to shop around.

OR, just do #1. Possibly less headache.

If people are willing to poke around for a good PS for the Corda MOVE, I'm sure many would do the same for the V-Cap dock.

Sure thats a good idea. But I built the device with a on off switch for critical listening, so if you do not want charging noise (yet to hear) you can just stop charging - press button. I do have some linear PS's here and can send with. The PS you need is just a 5V 2.1mm center pin + and a 5.5mm -

hope this helps?

Ken

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soo, about this price, thing.

Are we talkin benjamins or clevelands ... just as a ball park.

go ahead! hit us with the scientific notation here

We are somewhere around $550, the high cost is because of the wood work. Right new I only have 2 left and my wood worker is busy finishing up some other audio company's fancy speakers.

ken

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #26 of 328
This dock is for use with the 5g iMod correct? So if you don't have an unmodded iPod or 4g iMod would be unable to use it?

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #27 of 328
Quote:

Originally Posted by starmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This dock is for use with the 5g iMod correct? So if you don't have an unmodded iPod or 4g iMod would be unable to use it?

I'm not sure, but i think it works with non imoded ipods also. Something like a line out dock, but way better.
If it works with non imoded ipods, of cource that it'll sound a lot better with an imod ...

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #28 of 328
As far as I understand, the iMod Dock was intended for use with the iMod. The extra caps in the signal path are to accommodate the lack thereof in the internal iMod body by Vinnie.

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 328
So what happens if you use it with a 4g iMod?

Aug 7, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #30 of 328
Possibly bad news bears, I guess. I don't know much about this particular electronic signal, but the line out on the 4th gen iMod was disabled for sound, right? So that wouldn't really apply ...

I don't know how much damage, if any, it would do to put an iMod 4th gen or any other stock iPod on this thing, but it's clearly not intended for any of those products.

Maybe we'd all better await the official KenALO response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back