Introducing Shanling M9 Plus - Updated Flagship Portable Player
Apr 25, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #31 of 69
@Shanling looks amazing, great job guys!

I think the most impressive feat is fitting 2x AKM AK4191 & 4x AKM AK4499EX in something so small. Those ICs are huge!

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #33 of 69
Sorry, not something we tested.

Each DACs output is combined into one, so at the end we are dealing with 4 channels from 4 DACs.
I have one question and I will be getting this one for sure if the sound profile is similar to the M8 and not like the M9. Does it have the Shanling signature sound or is it more like the M9? Like I said if I’d like the M8 I will preorder now, but if it’s more like the M9 I will not. Any news on which direction this dap will lean? M8 or M9? Thanks

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #34 of 69
Offering Android 10 means that in a year or two, many apps will break compatibility with this device. New versions of apps are usually linked with improved features and functionality and stability and security.

Hence, due inability to install updates, user experience will suffer greatly.

This is unacceptable at any price point because the user is cheated into buying a soon to be outdated software with (admittedly) excellent hardware.

Furthermore, daps running on the same chip and/or costing as low as 350$ already offer android 12.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #35 of 69
I have one question and I will be getting this one for sure if the sound profile is similar to the M8 and not like the M9. Does it have the Shanling signature sound or is it more like the M9? Like I said if I’d like the M8 I will preorder now, but if it’s more like the M9 I will not. Any news on which direction this dap will lean? M8 or M9? Thanks
*it’s

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #36 of 69
Exactly, that would mean one DAC per channels which is two DACs. Looking at the design of SP3000, it looks like 2 DACs for balanced mode, and two DACs for unbalanced mode. I assume you have a similar design.

1682405068325.png

Just because they have a "Made in Korea" stamp, do you really believe any of the components including the main board is made in Korea? Even if it is, do you really think it makes a crazy big difference? A&K and Sony are the reason for those inflated prices and exaggerated designs. Besides, Sony has much much bigger production facilities and would be able to achieve lower production costs than the others but it cannot, or "won't". So the main reason for those prices lies elsewhere, not in anti-China propaganda.
Agreed

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #38 of 69
As the M9 sounds similar as the SP2K, the M9+ should sound close to the SP3K.

See Shanling's reply on M9 Plus tuning which is leaning towards house / M8 / H7 sound.

NB: From their description, M9 Plus would not sound close to SP3K. Having auditioned SP3K, I hear it as a neutral reference sound signature (slightly analytical) and highly resolving with excellent details retrieval especially micro-details.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shanling-m9-plus-flagship-android-player.967669/post-17515960
M9 Plus is using different DACs, in different Quad DAC mode and different amplifier design.
Also the tuning is different, more towards our house sound /M8 / H7.

I would say M9 Plus is bit better, if you like its tuning.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shanling-m9-plus-flagship-android-player.967669/post-17516010
Can you go into a little detail as to how the tuning might be different?
Warmer than the neutal M9.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #40 of 69
Marketing
I think we are passed that, as even if the manufacturer would come out and say "we don't need that many DAC chips for a good performance" and sell the DAPs for a better price, it will be assumed to be "not high end enough" by the audiophiles. I of course, don't want to bad mouth the M9+, as I was actually considering it, but the market is now driven by the audiophiles that are ready to spend more money for more DACs, and juding the products based on DAC count and price. It is even weird that some recent TOTL DAPs have less output power than previous generation, and some didn't even cosider improving the output power. M9+ is (as far as I have seen) the only update that also improves the output power.

For me as a full size HP listener, M9+ is a welcome addition due to its physical properties (as a "DAP", I use M17) and >1W @32 ohm output power, but I prefer a clean, unaltered, neutral tuning and reading about the "explicitly warm" tuning I think I changed my mind. Which is actually why I also skipped H7. The design philosophy and additional SD card slot is great, but I don't want any "added warmth". The Topping G5 sounds superb, but fails on charging and battery size. Well, no perfect product for me so far...

Apr 25, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #41 of 69
I think we are passed that, as even if the manufacturer would come out and say "we don't need that many DAC chips for a good performance" and sell the DAPs for a better price, it will be assumed to be "not high end enough" by the audiophiles. I of course, don't want to bad mouth the M9+, as I was actually considering it, but the market is now driven by the audiophiles that are ready to spend more money for more DACs, and juding the products based on DAC count and price. It is even weird that some recent TOTL DAPs have less output power than previous generation, and some didn't even cosider improving the output power. M9+ is (as far as I have seen) the only update that also improves the output power.

For me as a full size HP listener, M9+ is a welcome addition due to its physical properties (as a "DAP", I use M17) and >1W @32 ohm output power, but I prefer a clean, unaltered, neutral tuning and reading about the "explicitly warm" tuning I think I changed my mind. Which is actually why I also skipped H7. The design philosophy and additional SD card slot is great, but I don't want any "added warmth". The Topping G5 sounds superb, but fails on charging and battery size. Well, no perfect product for me so far...
Have you tried your stealth with a DAP? Does any DAP drive it well? Will the power of M9+ drive it, do you think?

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #42 of 69
Have you tried your stealth with a DAP? Does any DAP drive it well? Will the power of M9+ drive it, do you think?
Dan recommends 1W+ @ 32 ohms for driving the Stealth and the Expanse. I am very satisfied with the result I get with Topping G5 which is 1.2W @ 32 ohms. Some people say you need much more but I don't know how loud and what kind of music they listen to. "The bass wars" is a hot topic here on HeadFi. Dan said he also likes to listen via Mojo2. He doesn't listen loud to protect his hearing.

My current DAP is M17. Although I like it very much, I want to have something more pocket friendly. My desktop unit is RME ADI-2 Pro, so again not a power monster, but I frankly cannot think of replacing it with anything else at any price.

So yes, for my listening habits M9+ should be good enough.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #43 of 69
I knew this updated player was coming out about now due to Shanling's almost yearly update schedule although this means that the M7+ will arrive very soon and this is the player I prefer. I hope they keep the same colour as per M7 and not provide what looks like some shiny black version here as the M9+.
The next update will of course be called the M9/7 Pro, after which if we're still around the next gen player will make it's way.
I too would have preferred a later more modern Android version although what can we do.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #44 of 69
Expecting M9plus to be sounding like a much better version of M6U, - very detailed (hence,I hope everyone tried Sp3000), warm tonality, (25% max), pitch dark black background - You’ll hear all sounds with “velvet” walls, they’ll be like floating. And it will be a very fast signature. Organic. So metal lovers, concertos- yup this is for us.
I expect this to be a great device, future proofed for couple years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back