Introducing Shanling M9 Plus - Updated Flagship Portable Player
Apr 26, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #46 of 69
Updates are sometimes not intentional. DAP manufacturers are often like scavengers, collecting the unused older generation parts from mobile phone manufaturers, as they don't have the quantity of a mobile phone manufacturer, and they cannot go to, for example, Qualcomm or a display company and ask for support or a specific size. So they just take what is left over from the bigger companies and use them. The SoC used in most of the DAPs today Snapdragon 660/665 is such a left over. When the stocks are finished and that particular part is not available anymore, the DAP manufacturer is forced to make an update with a replacement component, which could be a DAC chip, display or the SoC.

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #47 of 69
Which one isn't made in china? Not to mention there's an old saying "you get what you pay". So you can get the dollar bin player being a cheap-o electronics, and then TOTL who are made with high tollerances.
Though there is, in my experience, a big exception to the norm with a really expensive one being absolutely embarassing....won't name the company here but you can find it in my posts.

Getting what you pay was somewhat true until the concept became abused. Nowadays you are paying for exclusivity and brand perception. I bet you any of those TOTL DAPs can be sold under $2000 and still turn a healthy profit. I am not anti-China, but the cost benefits of manufacturing in China is lost on me when it is no longer reflected in the price.

A spade is not a hammer, it is a spade, and overpriced is exactly what it is, “overpriced “. Soon we will be seeing next gen TOTL DAPs costing US$5K with diamond cut volume wheels and rare asteroid mineral chassis.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #48 of 69
Getting what you pay was somewhat true until the concept became abused. Nowadays you are paying for exclusivity and brand perception. I bet you any of those TOTL DAPs can be sold under $2000 and still turn a healthy profit. I am not anti-China, but the cost benefits of manufacturing in China is lost on me when it is no longer reflected in the price.

A spade is not a hammer, it is a spade, and overpriced is exactly what it is, “overpriced “. Soon we will be seeing next gen TOTL DAPs costing US$5K with diamond cut volume wheels and rare asteroid mineral chassis.
Screenshots_2023-04-27-09-54-30.png

As long as this BS is tolerated, the prices will continue to increase. SP3000 costs €4300 here in Europe which is $4750! The copper version costs $4850! So it is already about $5K for us over here. What A&K writes above is a lot of BS, but as soon as someone mentions that, he will be called a heretic in this community. It is the community that accepts this level of BS that feeds this system, where engineering knowledge that makes these devices possible is disregarded.

Sorry for derailing the thread. Back to M9+.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #49 of 69
As far as I can tell all UK official retailers are charging the exact same price for both the SP3000 standard and copper limited edition. Perhaps more helpful to ask the local EU distributor the open question, although they are likely to decline discussing commercial agreements

Cost and value for money are different things and and have different meanings to individuals

If all top tier DAP releases being near the same 3k to 4k price range or MQA additional license cost or Android 10 are deal breakers the answer is make the decision not to buy and see whether the market is with you. There is no requirement to keep up with the next door neighbour. DAP releases are a niche of a niche, despite this thread being on page 4 before any review or public release

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #50 of 69
As far as I can tell all UK official retailers are charging the exact same price for both the SP3000 standard and copper limited edition. Perhaps more helpful to ask the local EU distributor the open question, although they are likely to decline discussing commercial agreements
€4300 vs €4400. Do you think someone paying €4300 for a music player would refrain from spending an extra €100. OK, I have also found for the same price, so what? Does it change the fact that the above statements are load of BS? No, it doesn't.
Cost and value for money are different things and and have different meanings to individuals
For sure. Who am I to complain for the money someone else spends?
If all top tier DAP releases being near the same 3k to 4k price range or MQA additional license cost or Android 10 are deal breakers the answer is make the decision not to buy and see whether the market is with you. There is no requirement to keep up with the next door neighbour. DAP releases are a niche of a niche, despite this thread being on page 4 before any review or public release
I personally am not here to test the market or to try to keep up with anyone. I am just looking for a DAP with some specific features (e.g. outputs on top of the player, volume dial on the top or on the side and not as fragile as the SPx000, >1W @32 ohms, larger side buttons loctated on the top half so that I don't accidentally touch them, <1.5 ohms output impedance, possibility of using Wavelet and/or Poweramp EQ, smaller and easier to hold and carry than my M17, etc etc) and making my comments along the way. In that sense a €2900 M9+ and €1000 FiiO M15S are equals, and I weigh them with what they provide first and then their price. Internally an ES9038PRO and 4xAK4499EX will not produce different sound when properly implemented (other than maybe the newer one consuming less energy with a better fab technology). There won't be a groundbreaking difference between the two for producing higher voltage from the same 3.8V battery. Experienced engineers will produce similar quality of a device with similar quality components.

Otherwise the so called audio quality is over emphasized in relation to the DACs, construction material etc. For an IEM with multiple drivers and uneven, frequency dependent impedance of around 4-5 ohms, output impedance of the DAP will have much more effect on the sound than what and how many DACs are used inside the DAP. My main desktop unit (ADI-2 Pro) has a simple 2 channel DAC and I will take it over any DAC / amp combination at any price - not because I cannot buy them as bought more expensive ones, but because I get my money's worth and I know what I want.

Last edited:
May 4, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 69
@Shanling how about the lineout? Is it a real lineout from the DAC output, or is it over the amplifier? Meaning is it uncolored or does it carry over the HP output tuning?

May 4, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #52 of 69
DeepL translation of "https://post.smzdm.com/p/a90r83x7/"

SHANLING is a high-tech brand that integrates R&D, production, processing and sales of audio equipment. Founded in 1988, Shanling has a wide range of products, including SACD/CD players, Hi-Fi amplifiers, gallows amplifiers, advanced mini-combos, HI-FI tuners and AV amplifiers. Shanling has been granted a number of patents for the use of technologies such as HDCD by Microsoft, Dolby Digital, DTS and patent licences for DVD, SACD and CD, and has established close cooperation with many top international HI-END manufacturers.

The company is certainly one of the leading audio brands in China in terms of hardware design and mechanical workmanship. However, for a long time, their on-the-go audio products have been categorised by audiophiles as 'value for money' with good quality but not great musicality. This view has changed significantly with the introduction of the M8 music player, which is a clear breakthrough in terms of setting and controlling the sound style of its products, with a relatively thicker and warmer tone replacing the simple, angular quality-oriented style. The M8 was not a perfect music player, but it was one of the most "good sounding" in the Shanling family in those days.

Since then, Shanling seems to have "gotten the hang of it" in terms of tuning, and all subsequent music players have maintained a similar sound direction, although the quality of performance varies. If the M8 was a test run for the first flagship music player, the M9, which was launched last year, is the first true 'flagship' music player from Shanling. This 'flagship' refers to the fact that both the hardware design and the tuning level have reached the same level of performance in the market. Although it still cannot be said to have reached the 'top' of the industry, it is at least one of the high-end models that cannot be ignored, especially because its sound style has inherited the warm and thick sound of the M8, while at the same time improving the density of the three frequencies and the solidity of the mid and low frequencies.

What's surprising is that Shanling's 'drive' is so strong that by the middle of 2023, their lineup has been revisited. Defined as a 'super flagship', the Shanling M9 Plus has been launched as a 'Shanling 35th Anniversary model', and there are two things to look for in this machine. The first is whether it really has the quality and sound performance of a "super flagship". The second is why it is still priced at the level of other sub-flagships. Today, we're going to talk about it.

Not a single penny spent, all in the 'belly'
To be honest, I was a little disappointed to see the 'first side' of the M9 Plus when I first opened its exquisite solid wood box. Although the M9 Plus is officially described as an improvement on the M9's casing, including shaping and improving the screen-to-body ratio, the overall design doesn't quite match the M9's. Of course, I have to admit that the workmanship of this machine is really quite exquisite.

As the 35th anniversary model of Shanling, the designers have indeed given the M9 Plus all the best hardware available today, but this has its good and bad points. The new current-type AKM AK4191 + AK4499EX flagship combination replaces the older AK4499 as the 'heart' of this generation of players. This is a generation of DAC chips that Kudan highly respects, although the combination does not offer a 'significant' improvement in terms of signal-to-noise ratio and other hard parameters compared to the AK4499, and even separates several functional components previously assembled in a single chip into a multi-chip design. Theoretically, this design may not improve the metrics, and may even be fractured.

However, AKM's design has received a lot of praise from digital audio designers, as the separate digital processing modules give designers more scope to adjust the sound signal on the digital side, allowing them to tailor the sound performance to their needs. No doubt the designers of the Mountain Spirit have done a lot of work with this facility, and the new I/V conversion circuitry and CPAF low-pass filtering technology have finally been implemented in this generation. Note that the high output current characteristics of this digital processing module are of great help to the subsequent design of the analogue amplifier circuit and the final headphone driving capability and sound dynamics. The latest version of the XU316 USB interface and FPGA technology and KDS low phase noise active crystal oscillator are also not left behind as well as other technologies that are 'standard' in flagship players.

Thanks to the M9 Plus' relatively large size, more sophisticated analogue amplification circuitry has been built into the machine. As a label with decades of experience in designing and founding analog amplification desktop devices, Shanling has never been more comfortable with designing analog amplification systems for portable devices. The Muses 8920 and Buf634A combination couldn't be more classic, as the OP+Buf architecture has been played to perfection. It's not exactly a 'high end' design, but the sound is durable, warm and relatively fine and silky across the full range, which is a key priority for a product that wants to be in the top tier of music players.

Of course, all the 'supplements' that audiophiles love most have to be used in the 'ultra flagship', and the configuration has to be stretched to the limit. This is why we can see the presence of Japan's ELNA premium Silmic II silk film capacitors on the M9 Plus, and even the earth wire, note the earth wire, of the headphone output is made of imported high purity monocrystalline copper wire, which the designer has chosen among the many "top tonic wires". I can't really tell how this design affects the final sound, but there's no denying that it has an accelerating effect on the opening of the "brain amplifier". These are the main upgrades to the M9 Plus, so you can see that the 'Plus budget' has almost all been used in the 'belly' of this machine.

A side-by-side comparison in its class, with a reasonable analysis of thrust, sound and price

Although Shanling has an official description of the M9 Plus' thrust, I'd like to talk to you about its performance in pushing various types of headphones from my own practical experience. Firstly, I don't think the maximum output of the M9 Plus is a significant improvement over the M9. The most perceptible difference is that the dynamics of the M9 Plus are noticeably more impressive when driving earbuds, and this is on the premise that detail analysis has also improved. Secondly, the M9 Plus is more comfortable when driving some low-resistance and low-sensitivity headphones, very spacious and natural, which is something the M9 cannot do. In addition, the M9 Plus continues the 'suit' tuning design of the flagship model and its own headphones, and the M9 Plus is clearly a very harmonious match for driving the ME900, with a balance of quality and warmth.

Then, the three-position gain adjustment and the exclusive mode for large headphones are quite good in terms of experience. Especially for people like me who like to listen to headphones indoors, the maximum gain + large ear mode can drive very large unit size dynamic headphones like the ZMF Headphones VC with more pleasure than even a few similar units that cost nearly $10,000 more. But be careful not to use flat-diaphragm headphones or low-resistance, low-sensitivity headphones such as the HiFiMAN Susvara or Fostex TH900, which are "impossible for me to do" with the M9 Plus.

In terms of sound performance, the M9 Plus is a departure from most of the top music players on the market, starting with the fact that it has a significantly more resilient and thicker sound base. It's just not as 'thick' as the M8 and a little less so than the M9, but it has a basic thickness that provides a toughness not found in any previous Shanling music player, which is somewhat similar to the sound performance of Shanling's top of the range desktop players. Secondly, the M9 Plus's dynamic transients, especially in the low end, are of an exhilarating and spot-on standard, specifically in the context of a music player, and this kind of low frequency control is really a first for Shanling, as well as a flagship music player should be.

It doesn't dwell too much on the glamour and beauty of the mid and high frequencies like the SP3000, nor does it pursue the path of high quality and density like flagship models such as the Kayin and Seabees, but instead strikes a good balance between quality and musicality. The main focus is on a warm and delicate sound, but the quality is significantly better than the M9, which makes it not look "soft" in a crowd of expensive flagship models and gives a better sense of musical envelopment and atmosphere than many similar models. This is especially true for the playback of pop vocals, live jazz and small-format string music. The fine and adequate quality of the sound gives better detail reproduction, and the thick and warm style makes it easier to bring in the music quickly. The high current and excellent control of the output allows most headphones to release dynamic transients fully and without too much excitement, making it one of the best flagships for compatibility.

Lastly, buying advice

After more than a month of experience, it seems that the M9 Plus does not quite surpass the absolute quality of the top flagship music players on the market, nor is it the most musical of them all, but it is the one that has the best balance of quality and listening. You may think it's middle of the road, but on the other hand it's the best for music. But the price of the ...... is too "inward", at $15,890 it's a few thousand to $10,000 difference to several flagship models of the same calibre. It's a bit like the Kawasaki playbook in the motorbike world, I'm more expensive for the same price, and I'm less expensive for the same fit. Anyway, I have my own factory and I have an inherent advantage in the price war. ...... In short, I want to have a better "sound to price ratio" than all of you!

May 4, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #53 of 69
I knew this updated player was coming out about now due to Shanling's almost yearly update schedule although this means that the M7+ will arrive very soon and this is the player I prefer. I hope they keep the same colour as per M7 and not provide what looks like some shiny black version here as the M9+.
The next update will of course be called the M9/7 Pro, after which if we're still around the next gen player will make it's way.
I too would have preferred a later more modern Android version although what can we do.

This is incorrect for M9 Plus.

M9 was limited release, with our last stock of AK4499 DACs. Right as we announced it, we promised that the next M9 version will be coming with different DAC. We hoped for earlier release, but it was delayed due to waiting for the new AKM AK4499EX.

@Shanling how about the lineout? Is it a real lineout from the DAC output, or is it over the amplifier? Meaning is it uncolored or does it carry over the HP output tuning?

No dedicated lineout circuit.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #55 of 69
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 31, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #57 of 69
Just finished installing and downloading the update OTA (which I know wasn’t recommended). Start to finish it took a total of 70-75 minutes. YMMV of course, but will give you an idea if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #58 of 69

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #60 of 69

Users who are viewing this thread

Back