Introducing the HIFIMAN HE-R9!
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 356
About mentioned TH900 :darthsmile:. Wondering which one have better bass ...

TH9002.jpg

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 356
Likewise, tho I don't mind this hardware for their entry to mid level products either. It's present on the H10D and it has a nice weight and feel, tho their flagships really deserve to have that premium feel!

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #36 of 356
Bought R9 from AliExpress during the 11.11 sale hoping it'd be a budget version of the R10D. It looked really nice and premium sitting inside the box until I lifted it out. The build was super light but felt incredibly cheap. The plastic red cups felt egg-shell thin and cheap like a children's Halloween mask at a dollar store. Though I have to say the paint job was good. Bass had a forward presence, exaggerated, boomy and muffled like someone put a bucket over my head while the beats are going. Everything else sounded really compressed and smeared. It made great recordings sound like low-res MP3 and average recordings unlistenable. I earnestly tried to like the R9 - because it's a PITA to return stuff bought off AliExpress, but gave up in just under an hour because the bass was very close to giving me a massive headache. I still can't believe Hifiman released the R9 with such abhorrent tuning since I own four of their other headphones and really enjoy them.

Of course, YMMV. I am eager to hear others' feedback on the R9 to see if my experience was singular.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #38 of 356
Bought R9 from AliExpress during the 11.11 sale hoping it'd be a budget version of the R10D. It looked really nice and premium sitting inside the box until I lifted it out. The build was super light but felt incredibly cheap. The plastic red cups felt egg-shell thin and cheap like a children's Halloween mask at a dollar store. Though I have to say the paint job was good. Bass had a forward presence, exaggerated, boomy and muffled like someone put a bucket over my head while the beats are going. Everything else sounded really compressed and smeared. It made great recordings sound like low-res MP3 and average recordings unlistenable. I earnestly tried to like the R9 - because it's a PITA to return stuff bought off AliExpress, but gave up in just under an hour because the bass was very close to giving me a massive headache. I still can't believe Hifiman released the R9 with such abhorrent tuning since I own four of their other headphones and really enjoy them.
May i know ur close back reference as comparison, or how's this compare emu/fostex variant in your oppinion ?!

Jan 30, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #39 of 356
About mentioned TH900 :darthsmile:. Wondering which one have better bass ...
My money is the one with the red cups
(and biodyn drivers)

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 356
May i know ur close back reference as comparison, or how's this compare emu/fostex variant in your oppinion ?!
Sorry I have had no experience with emu/fostex var. In fact, my preference is open back and I do not currently own any close backs. Nonetheless I've owned a fair number of close backs ranging from ATH-M50x, Sony Z7 to Denon 7200, Focal Radiance and Stellia. My daily drivers are HE1Kse and LCD-X 2021.

To put into perspective on how poorly my copy of the R9 performed, the free earbuds that came with my Samsung Note 8 had better sound quality. Nonetheless, please keep in mind that my experience may be unique and I encourage anyone interested in the R9 to either purchase their own copy and decide themselves or at the very least, read or watch reviews from trusted professionals before passing final judgement.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #41 of 356
Who is this headphone geared to? what are its strengths? Treble heads? Bass heads? Neutral heads? R&B, Hip Hop, Rap, Trap, Alternative, Rock, Nu Metal, Metal, Grunge, Black Metal, Black Ambient Metal, Dungeon Synth, Industrial, Synth-Pop, Electronica, EDM, IDM, EuroDance, ItaloDance, Euro Disco, Mariachi, Banda, Tamborazo, Baladas, Salsa, Cumbia, Doom Metal, Darkwave, Experimental, Atmospheric Black Metal, Glitch, Indie, Country, Ranchera, Sonora, Folk, K-pop, K-rock, J-pop, J-rock, or Classical music/orchestra?

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #42 of 356
So... what's next?? HE-1266?

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #45 of 356
Nah, probably cheap version of HD800 or something similar since i read somewhere before, senn patent gonna expire soon, next year i think
I'm pretty sure Sennheiser will try to keep the design to themselves, especially if they want to keep the model in production... which they probably do. And if not, 800s is not that different, and it's much more recent. Anyway, what I was trying to say... Personally, I kind of miss the days when Hifiman was pushing the envelope in planars. Real value for money, original designs, you get the point. Sure, they still make some interesting stuff, but the more recent releases? Please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back