ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #4,696 of 5,045
A disturbing section from the Okavango review coming-up!

"Neo5:

In some ways reviewing the Neo5 has left me with a knowing, the Neo5 showing itself to be an old friend, even though it just came out. This is what happens when you go about the total effort to review an IEM. And even though I didn’t have the preferred ISN S4 cable to do the (Neo5) review, I did use a number of aftermarket cables during the review process. One thing of note is how the ISN S4 cable size physically appears exactly like the included Okavango cable. One is silvery grey and the other white.

Neo5 v Okavango:
More Bass, that’s the first thing you notice, then the fact that the stage is bigger. But more than that and of possibly a more important value here is that there is an introduced spatialization here in where the Neo5's vocals sit, it’s like someone moved the speakers in a room. Just way bigger in presentation. A floating spectacle of hovering forwardness in vocals and even splashy instrumentation out into the outskirts of our mind……ahhh….I mean hearing? I’m going to tear-up here……I’m sorry, I can’t write, this is beautiful, though it’s probably the music not the IEMs……………………………………………………………Anyways.

Gosh, the Neo5? How do I ever compare these two?"
DSC_0187.jpegwqwq.jpeg

DSC_0195.jpegww.jpeg
DSC_0198.jpegsw.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #4,697 of 5,045
Screenshot_20231007-093859.png

Oct 10, 2023 at 5:44 AM Post #4,699 of 5,045
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #4,700 of 5,045
Oct 25, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #4,701 of 5,045
ISN Audio NEO 1 Single Dynamic Driver IEM
Stabilized wood panel, brown and red color available
Driver: 10mm full frequency carbon nanotube diaphragm driver
Electrically tuned DD technology, including 6 selected circuit components, fully realizes the potential of the driver and improves the overall sound performance.
Sensitivity: 105dB
Impedance: 22ohm
Passive noise reduction: 26dB
Frequency response: 10 ~ 20kHz
Cable: 4 strands OFC silver-plated cable

395112946_1966479680398956_4405888427680893986_n.jpg
395115394_1966479643732293_9196068681363395990_n.jpg
395145777_1966479610398963_5044471662952646457_n.jpg
395245884_1966479570398967_607273117899141775_n.jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #4,702 of 5,045
Current Neo 1 graph.
395140933_1967003213679936_6069045930997247160_n.jpg

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4,703 of 5,045
Graph is 17 hours old.

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #4,704 of 5,045
The ISN Neo 1 should be arriving any day, but until then......something else?
DSC_0150.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0145.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_0130.jpegww.jpeg

Model: DOME
Driver:3 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic driver hybrid
Balanced Armature: 1 Knowles for high frequency
2 Sonion for middle frequency
Dynamic driver: 10mm PET diaphragm for low frequency
Impedance: 19ohm
Sensitivity: 107dB
Frequency response: 20-20kHz
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable lengthen: 1.2M

First impressions:
Penon manufacturing is going ahead and building on the new and different sound design accomplished with the 10th Anniversary model. That's not to say this does not have the Penon House sound because it does. Where the new 2 Sonion middle frequency drivers build a healthy midrange, and somehow there is even better timbre than ever? Yep, I just said that, some of the very best timbre ever done by BAs? Sorry I don't know how this is, but it is. Rounding out the top end its a single Knowles, and to add to the bottom a 10mm PET. The interesting part is Penon have carried over the well roundedness of the 10th over, as this IEM plays all genres and qualities of files well. While extra bass details put out by a file source or amplifier will get their due diligence to get a window unto their added qualities, regular older files get the polish too, with simply added note weight. Such note weight is maybe the key to our success here? That and the dance of balance, just like the 10th contained..........as this continuation is nothing like any rehash of any exact Penon I've ever heard? Totally new and offering just that much more/extra of a window into your daily file listening sessions. Bigger stage than any Globe or Orb before this creation, in fact the realization that we are in a whole different land means I have no handholds really for comparison? It's new?

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #4,706 of 5,045
Some ISN NEO1 curves, but not final ))
graph(234).png
Getting another sample so interesting to hear what they are going to change good sounding DD tho. Nice and small should fit most shell reminds me of Thuthear Hola.

Attachments

• 20231101_205745.jpg
    20231101_205745.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231101_193900.jpg
    20231101_193900.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4,707 of 5,045
ISN NEO1
ISN Audio NEO 1 Single Dynamic Driver IEM
Stabilized wood panel, brown and red color available
Driver: 10mm full frequency carbon nanotube diaphragm driver
Electrically tuned DD technology, including 6 selected circuit components, fully realizes the potential of the driver and improves the overall sound performance.
Sensitivity: 105dB
Impedance: 22ohm
Frequency response: 10 ~ 20kHz
Cable: 4 strands OFC silver-plated cable
DSC01421.JPG

I was excited to hear these, to see what Penon would do with this one. As you folks know it is the ISN line of IEMs that has a bit more in the way of coloration for its sound performance vs the Penon line of IEMs. I was lucky enough to hear their prototype a while ago and I thought those definitely lived up to the new NEO line of IEMs but this revised version?

How do they perform? These are basically tuned with a very similar tuning angle and balance of the Penon Serial. Basically they are like a single dynamic version of the Penon Serial. I burned them in for 3 days straight to get a good idea of what they sound like after some work out and yes much like the Penon Serials, I highly recommend a solid burn in for them otherwise you're going to get a cringy not so fresh feeling when you hear them out of the box.
DSC01442.JPG

Out of the box sound will not give you confidence, its bass sounded boomy and trebles with some glare. It was clearly upper mid focused too instead of having an even tonality and a touch thin sounding. BURN THEM IN!! For at least 50 hours before taking them seriously. Also the included cable is atrocious. You can immediately toss them in the garbage pail. No reason to keep them at all. Here is the reason why.

They make the NEO1 sound thinner and brighter. It is supposedly a silver plated copper cable a very thin noodly one at that. Whether you're a believer in cables or not. This cable is the type that easily tangles for one, it is as flimsy as it gets noodles like crazy and does absolutely nothing for how the NEO1 truly sounds. Makes them actually sound worse. This is ISN telling you, you need to use your own cables. Much like how some manufacturers include a paltry single set of silicones with an IEM, to let you know you need to tip roll. Well there is no mystery here. You need to cable roll. Try just about any cable that you have on hand and it will improve the sonics on the NEO1. No kidding.
DSC01453.JPG

Back to how they sound. They take on the tonality and balance of the Serials with a bit of similarities to the timbre of the Vortex using a single dynamic, ISN did a wonderful job capturing the analogish goodness of the Serial sound profile using a single dynamic. However in using a single dynamic with what is essentially the Serial tuning. Its technicalities are not exactly at the Serial level especially when it comes to stage.

Its mild V shaped tuning has a lower treble bias and has a sub bass focus. One thing I know about carbon nanotube dynamics is that they are very rigid dynamics with a snappy crisp transient response. The NEO1 shows two contrasting tonal characters that work well to bring an interesting take on the ISNs version of the V tuning. By the way both the treble performance and bass performance improves quite a bit after some burn in. Sound in general seems to tighten up. I have a feeling the carbon nanotube dynamic here needs a solid week's worth of burn in before sound settles. This is just an early take on their sound so you guys will have a good idea what they are like.

It is only with an upgraded cable do they start to really show what they can do. They do have a better resolving quality and show promise when it comes to single dynamic technicalities. Will reserve any observations on their technicalities until they get at least another 50 hours of run in.
DSC01458.JPG

One thing for 100% certain: they scale really well with better cables and with a bit of power like all single dynamics do. It is once you throw on something decent that the NEO1 starts to really strut its stuff. The ISN NEO1 connected to the ISN SCO2 is where it is at. Any stock cable that restricts a sound depth is not a good IEM cable in my book and that is perhaps the most egregious issue with the stock cable. Skews the sound to be brighter than it actually is as well. Expect thinner notes with the stock cable.

Moving onto the SCO2 makes a world of difference. It goes from an average single dynamic IEM experience to a very capable much more engaging single dynamic IEM and now lives up to the standards of an ISN IEM. Now we are talking! It's not really playing at the levels of either of the Vortex nor the Serial, but I would not expect these to be there as these will be a budget level offering. I am nowhere near fully burned in but I like where the sound is headed after about 50 hours thus far. Now lets see what these will be offered at. I know it will be a cheaper ISN IEM but how much we will have to wait.
DSC01457.JPG

Pros thus far.
Engaging cohesive analoguish smoother tonal character
Above average detail at the price level these will be sold for
Good timbre for both vocals and instruments
Balanced v shaped tuning with emphasis at the lower trebles
Sub bass emphasis. Punchy mid bass
Smallish iem, comfortable and easy to drive.
Surprising sub bass rumble.
You will be rewarded with a solid break in period.
Should be aggressively priced.
Scales awesomely to cables and some power.

Not so pros
Cable. Absolutely one of the worst throw-ins in IEM history.
100% needs burn in, if you don't burn in IEMs, look elsewhere.
Average intimate stage for IEMs but surprisingly spacious
Lacks depth using the stock cable.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #4,708 of 5,045
I thought EST50 was great with Ibasso DX320X and I still love them together but this setup is even better with ISN flagship.
TBH is incredible how it scales with better amp!

IMG_9028.jpeg

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #4,709 of 5,045
First impressions Neo 1:
ISN has done it again with their continuation of bass exploration and the supportive frequencies to make it all work out. Here the word for the day is fluidness and texture. Yep, a lot of slightly syrupy fun, yet still having that Penon/ISN balance which leaves nothing out. Probably timbre is where the magic first lays in a test run? Just big and nice authoritative guitar tone with splashes of natural cymbals in support out to the edges of a plentiful stage. It's an interesting vocal positioning where it's not forward or back but siting there fully heard, just not asking for total attention, like a more vocal vivid set, yet we do have balance and a swaying tone to the pace, that's provocative and real.
DSC_0186.jpegs.jpeg
DSC_0193.jpegq.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #4,710 of 5,045
PENON has just released is Dome IEM, a 1+3 hybrid that has a lot to live up too, not only because of the ISN/PENON reputation, but also the fact it faces some tough competition.
IMG20231106074005.jpg

Actually when I come to think of it, few companies have this sort of success rate.
You may think I am exaggerating but when you start analysing the range you reach the inevitable conclusion I always reach , which is.

Every single one of the models has a magical musicality, they always have a bass that on paper seems overwhelming but when you listen it's endowed with that old school home speaker type of sound , thus it's big, bold and authoritative!
The mids are always lush, full bodied and smooth as silk and as for the treble its sweet , present and devoid of any harshness.

Technically they have varying degrees of profecency, but never disappoint.
IMG20231106074138.jpg

The Dome is yet another shining example of the Penon proficiency in tuning IEMs working it's magic!

The bass is like the Neo5 but somehow comes across quicker , like the ISN H50.
Mids are clean and musical with a presentation that reminds me of the Penon Globe , while highs fetch elements of the ISN EST50.

It's quite incredible how it fetches elements of other models and combines them ever so effectively to bring us a sound which is old school musical bit equally technical....this is
a keeper!!
IMG20231106074154.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back