KEF Mu7 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #34 of 176
I presume that it is the Sony WH-1000 XM4 and XM5 that you have been referring to in these posts?

Can you compare the depth in particular between the Kef and the two Sonys? I find that the XM4 fit me ok (but nothing to spare). Whereas, the XM5 must be a bit shallower (or the driver angled differently) because these touch my ears (Pressing my ears towards my head).
I haven’t measured the depth but I had no issue with the x4 with my ears i think the x5 is a little shallower , but the kefs are more than deep enough for my ears

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #35 of 176
I haven’t measured the depth but I had no issue with the x4 with my ears i think the x5 is a little shallower , but the kefs are more than deep enough for my ears
Would you mind taking a ruler and actually measuring the opening size? :)

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #37 of 176
Would you mind taking a ruler and actually measuring the opening size? :)
Hi no problem the length of opening is 60mm width of opening is 36mm and depth from driver to ear is 25mm hope this helps
Hi no problem the length of opening is 60mm width of opening is 36mm and depth from driver to ear is 25mm hope this helps

Oct 18, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #41 of 176
Alright, received the Mu7 today. Initial impression is that the build quality appears to be excellent. It's a mostly metal construction.

Comfort is good as well. Ear cups measure at 62x38mm and 25mm deep (measured with calipers, so these are precise measurements). Ear cups are egg shaped, so the bottom is much narrower than the top. Earpads are soft but don't compress too much, aiding in keeping the drivers away from your ears. Clamping force is about average (Bathys is probably a bit stronger). Will have more comfort impressions after I spend more time with these.

ANC is decent. It's better than the Focal Bathys, but not as good as the Sony XM4. Tested this with basic white noise. It has ANC On, ANC Smart (probably some adaptive form), and ANC off. No transparency mode as far as I can tell.

SQ: nothing sounds off right away, so that's good. Will need to spend more time regarding listening impression, but overall fairly neutralish.

There doesn't appear to be a companion app, but Bluetooth pairing worked on the first try. Easy.

This also supports fully passive wired listening (no need to turn them on, but you can if you want ANC). This will be good when the battery eventually dies.

20221018_130744.jpg

20221018_130753.jpg

20221018_130723.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #42 of 176
Alright, received the Mu7 today. Initial impression is that the build quality appears to be excellent. It's a mostly metal construction.

Comfort is good as well. Ear cups measure at 62x38mm and 25mm deep. Ear cups are egg shaped, so the bottom is much narrower than the top. Earpads are soft but don't compress too much, aiding in keeping the drivers away from your ears. Clamping force is about average (Bathys is probably a bit stronger). Will have more comfort impressions after I spend more time with these.

ANC is decent. It's better than the Focal Bathys, but not as good as the Sony XM4. Tested this with basic white noise. It has ANC On, ANC Smart (probably some adaptive form), and ANC off. No transparency mode as far as I can tell.

SQ: nothing sounds off right away, so that's good. Will need to spend more time regarding listening impression, but overall fairly neutralish.

There doesn't appear to be a companion app, but Bluetooth pairing worked on the first try. Easy.

This also supports fully passive wired listening (no need to turn them on, but you can if you want ANC). This will be good when the battery eventually dies.

20221018_130744.jpg

20221018_130753.jpg

20221018_130723.jpg
Also got mine today, and very similar impressions. Passive isolation seems to be pretty good with these, at least on my head. The overall Bluetooth volume via iPhone is a bit lower than on the xm4, I’d say. For quieter tracks you have to crank it up.

Oct 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #43 of 176

Comfort is good as well. Ear cups measure at 62x38mm and 25mm deep (measured with calipers, so these are precise measurements). Ear cups are egg shaped, so the bottom is much narrower than the top. Earpads are soft but don't compress too much, aiding in keeping the drivers away from your ears. Clamping force is about average (Bathys is probably a bit stronger). Will have more comfort impressions after I spend more time with these.

Thanks for confirming no passthrough/transparency. That is very disappointing for me. I was hopeful since their website (link and screenshot below) seems to suggest there is an Environment mode but I didnt see it mentioned in their manual online.

https://us.kef.com/pages/mu7

Out of curiosity, have you (or anyone else) heard and can compare the sound signature relative to any of the Aonic 50, B&W Px7 S2 or Px8 (considering buying the Px8)? I currently have Aonic 50 for home (terrible ANC but like the sound for indoor listening without any EQ) and Px7 S2 for commuting (better ANC and the more bass heavy tuning (EQ'd down a bit) sounds better in noisy environments). I use passthrough/transparency when walking around NYC or at the office so this is probably a deal breaker for me but I am still curious about the sound since I have never heard KEF headphones (I do have and really enjoy their speakers).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018-162231_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-162231_Chrome.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #44 of 176
Thanks for confirming no passthrough. That is very disappointing for me. I was hopeful since their website (link and screenshot below) seems to suggest there is an Environment mode but I didnt see it mentioned in their manual online.

https://us.kef.com/pages/mu7

Out of curiosity, have you (or anyone else) heard and can compare the sound signature relative to any of the Aonic 50, B&W Px7 S2 or Px8 (considering buying the Px8)? I currently have Aonic 50 for home (terrible ANC but like the sound for indoor listening without any EQ) and Px7 S2 for commuting (better ANC and the more bass heavy tuning (EQ'd down a bit) sounds better in noisy environments). I use passthrough when walking around NYC or at the office so this is probably a deal breaker for me but I am still curious about the sound since I have never heard KEF headphones (I do have and really enjoy their speakers).
I did hear the PX7 S2, but that was almost a couple months ago, so my comparisons to that will not be reliable :) I really liked the S2 though, the ear cups were just too small. The KEF is definitely more comfortable in that regard.

Oct 18, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #45 of 176

20221018_130744.jpg

20221018_130753.jpg

20221018_130723.jpg
Although the driver housing doesn't appear to be angled, these earpads look comfortable with good depth. Wireless ANCs tend to have shallow and overplush earpads for some reason. Not sure I like the look, but I'm sure they look much better in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back