Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #29,281 of 63,977
For what it's worth, the CM5 is excellent. Back to back with the ES3 it's very difficult to say one is outright better. The UiiSii sounds more natural than the ES3 but no less detailed. The ES3 has more "air and sparkle" to the treble (characteristic of a balanced armature) while the CM5 is a tad laid back. Bass impact and tightness is very similar on both. The packaging for the CM5 is miles and miles nicer than anything I've seen from KZ and the earphones themselves feel slightly more premium due to a nicer (but non-removable) cable and a frosted inner shell. At their respective price points, it's a toss up and you could easily justify owning both.

Perhaps more pertinent to the discussion, both the ES3 and the CM5 are IMO in a class above the dark and fuzzy sounding ZS3 (which are plenty fun, but simply not competitive on detail retrieval).

I'm a basshead but i still didn't find a pair of headphones that can bring me much bass (that is fast and has good extension) and sub bass even giving me clear mids and highs.
Every headphone i tried has a recessed part of the spectrum, like the mids in the case of zs3 and memt x5.

I seriously can't understand where should i look for even if i guess a headphone like the one i just described and the one i'm wondering doesn't even exist, or if does, it costs so much money.
Many people anyway told me good things about es3 but i even heard it's very bright and might not be liked by bassheads.

Mar 20, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #29,282 of 63,977
I'm a basshead but i still didn't find a pair of headphones that can bring me much bass (that is fast and has good extension) and sub bass even giving me clear mids and highs.
Every headphone i tried has a recessed part of the spectrum, like the mids in the case of zs3 and memt x5.

I seriously can't understand where should i look for even if i guess a headphone like the one i just described and the one i'm wondering doesn't even exist, or if does, it costs so much money.
Many people anyway told me good things about es3 but i even heard it's very bright and might not be liked by bassheads.

You're basically describing the LZ A4 with the red rear filter installed. $195-200 at Penon/Amazon/Etc.

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #29,283 of 63,977
No problem. "Hook and loop" also goes by the brand name "Velcro." The same stuff you would use to organize cables:

The small bit below the black cable is the amount you would need.

Wrap it tightly around the wires leading to your earphones:

From a MeeAudio manual:

Great explanation - you beat me to the photos!

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #29,284 of 63,977
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #29,285 of 63,977
For anyone like me who still needs a microphone in their cable, I just discovered these two cables, I don't know their quality yet but I ordered them and when I receive them I'll tell you if they are worth it.
2 pin 0.75mm to 3.5mm Earphone Replacement Earbuds Exchange Cable w/ 3 Remote Buttons Gold Plated Straight Plug for KZ ED12 ES3
http://s.aliexpress.com/beYVVbEB?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

2 pin 0.75mm to 3.5mm Earphone Replacement Earbuds Exchange Cable w/ 3 Remote Buttons Gold Plated Bent/Straight Plug
http://s.aliexpress.com/Un6bAJ3q?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

I am sure they won't be as high quality as some other cables available, but I am very happy that I found cables with 2 pins and microphone with volume keys.

Thanks for the links. I also really like the buttons to skip through my playlist(s) and take phone calls on my Axon 7.

Mar 21, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #29,286 of 63,977
I received a pair of the ATE's a few days ago and I have to admit that I am extremely impressed. For $10 they are amazing. IMO they are on a par with the MEE P1's I have, which were $200. I am actually finding that I prefer the ATE's due to their fuller bass and the fact I don't need an amp to drive them properly. I can't wait to listen to the ES3's I also ordered.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #29,287 of 63,977
I received a pair of the ATE's a few days ago and I have to admit that I am extremely impressed. For $10 they are amazing. IMO they are on a par with the MEE P1's I have, which were $200. I am actually finding that I prefer the ATE's due to their fuller bass and the fact I don't need an amp to drive them properly. I can't wait to listen to the ES3's I also ordered.
I'm planning on getting some cheap >$10 IEMs on the upcoming aliexpress sale for on the go useage/to keep in my backpack

ATEs seem to be getting very high praise. Trying to decide whether to get them or the Rock Zircons

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #29,288 of 63,977
I'm planning on getting some cheap >$10 IEMs on the upcoming aliexpress sale for on the go useage/to keep in my backpack

ATEs seem to be getting very high praise. Trying to decide whether to get them or the Rock Zircons

I see you have the tenore, which I also have. In comparison to tenore, the ATE's sound more natural and fuller. As I hear thing, the Tenore sound noticeably thinner and brighter in comparison.

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #29,289 of 63,977
I see you have the tenore, which I also have. In comparison to tenore, the ATE's sound more natural and fuller. As I hear thing, the Tenore sound noticeably thinner and brighter in comparison.
That sounds almost too good to be true haha

I suppose these are a must get for me

Mar 21, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #29,290 of 63,977

Sub-bass? CM5 definitely got you covered. In my opinion, CM5 beats the ZS3 in everything except isolation. On top of that, CM5 doesn't even cost a fraction of a kidney.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #29,291 of 63,977
Whaaaa? When did this happen?
I had the same reaction. Especially since one of my complaints with them are their larger size. I had to chuckle at the pics on the Gearbest size. The big ones are for men and the smaller women. Which explains why 2 of the 3 small sized ones have white instead of black cables and that there isn't an all black (black body and cable) color option. I was impressed enough that if I could get a small size at the Amazon price I'd get a pair but at $25 (with shipping) vs the current $11 Amazon price.

Edit: I would be curious if the change in internal volume effects the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #29,292 of 63,977
Aliexpress anniversary is coming in a week, I am still rocking ZS3 as the Ates and W1 Pro have some ear tips problems specially for sports, I noticed the ZS5 and ZS6 are pretty expensive and there are no real offers coming up for the anniversary, while I have found the KZ ZSR at 20$ instead of 30$.
Do you consider them as an upgrade over the ZS3? I just need a bit more soundstage and details, I am not a basshead

Edit: I have found just now ZS5 at 20$ anniversary price, I wonder if I will be able to use a 2$ coupon too. so now it's a battle between ZSR and ZS5, for me mids.soundstage and details are more important than heavy bass. Also comfort in ear is important for sports

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #29,293 of 63,977
Edit: I have found just now ZS5 at 20$ anniversary price, I wonder if I will be able to use a 2$ coupon too. so now it's a battle between ZSR and ZS5, for me mids.soundstage and details are more important than heavy bass. Also comfort in ear is important for sports
From what I've seen in reviews, ZSR win out in both soundstage and mids, while ZS5 should edge the ZSR out in details

Both shells seemingly won't fit in smaller ears, and I wouldn't recommend either for use while doing sports...

Mar 21, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #29,294 of 63,977
Any info on latest ZS5 being revised back to v1 (1xBA in nozzle, 1xBA in shell) ? Want to have another v1... badly...
From what I've seen in reviews, ZSR win out in both soundstage and mids, while ZS5 should edge the ZSR out in details
Both shells seemingly won't fit in smaller ears, and I wouldn't recommend either for use while doing sports...
Firstly, what version ZS5 are You comparing to ZSR ? I suppose v2? Anyway, v1 mids and especially soundstage are just plain AWESOME when ran with low output impedance source and amping (I know - I`m repeating myself too much! ;P ). It has bigger, more surround and spread out imaging/soundstage and is little more neutral-sided than IT01, which, imho, speaks a lot about their SQ. On the other hand, IT01 has more dynamical, coherent and fuller sound with same (or slightly better) amount of micro-details through fr spectrum.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #29,295 of 63,977
I had the same reaction. Especially since one of my complaints with them are their larger size. I had to chuckle at the pics on the Gearbest size. The big ones are for men and the smaller women. Which explains why 2 of the 3 small sized ones have white instead of black cables and that there isn't an all black (black body and cable) color option. I was impressed enough that if I could get a small size at the Amazon price I'd get a pair but at $25 (with shipping) vs the current $11 Amazon price.

Edit: I would be curious if the change in internal volume effects the sound.
I'm curious too, just not $25 curious...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back