Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #61 of 164
Moondrop did announce it will be sold in the US, just not by who yet... I love that they stated about the camera system "It's not good, but it works". Talk about being truthful.. lol

Note that it even though it has Android 13 stock, it says you need to install GMS (Google Mobile Services) manually to get the full range of Google Play apps.

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #63 of 164
There used to be this thing where Sony made their own style of Linux custom firmware operating systems for the WM1A and WM1Z. Where the direction used to be........try and make the DAPs stripped-down. The WM1A and WM1Z MK2 have Android now. So that’s the thing the technology may enable black backgrounds, power and things like EQ that audiophiles love? There may in the future be a way to turn-off the phone section and almost make the phone like a stand alone DAP? Really with the way things are going the possibilities are endless. I would like to see DUNU make a phone, maybe some of the other major players like HiBy, or even Sony to come out with Audiophile Phones. Just like there is really no valid reason except sound quality, at the moment to try and carry both a phone and a DAP..........and if this device bridges the two handheld device concepts, that's great. :)

A few years ago, like 2016.......we always thought of ourselves here as a small consumer group, a fringe element apart from the mainstream.......and maybe we still are? As such little one-man operations may make an IEM purchase that we were willing to wait for 60 or 90 days for him to piece together...........in his one-man workshop. Audiophiles as a group are incredibly flexible if there is desire to achieve what a product (hopefully) gives back. I mean just look how ridiculous DAP stacks are.........why on earth would and individual carry around a giant two pound X 7 inch by 7 inch contraption? Answer: For the sake of audiophile sound.......that's why, we are all crazy here; a little anyways.

And while maybe this phone will reach 50% of TOTL Audiophile DAPs in playback quality, something else happened in the world since 2016. Yep, IEMs have simply gotten better, that or better for less money. The results (which I'm sure reviewers will subjectively measure) may be a nice middle ground when the joining of a modern IEM placed is with this fantasy Phone/Dap?

Just the add of 4.4mm on this phone is a surrealistic view! Maybe this is the era when we can have our cake, and eat it too?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #64 of 164
Budget phone and DAP in one package for cheaper than dongle like L&P W4.
What quality of either one can expect?

I consider it a wise market driven move by moondrop to attempt to create a new sector by testing the waters with a cheap device to cater towards consumers, especially those on a budget so I hope it works for them.

The Chinese market alone could drive this forward and lead to larger, more established brands with greater software and hardware design capabilities - I'm looking at you here Hiby - to innovate their industrial and product design catalogue to include such devices in the future.

It feels weird to consider a phone with a headphone socket to be innovative when I have my original apple iPhone 3g with a headphone socket of all things in my drawer next to me, as some one in the apple ecosystem since before 2000 its not for myself but I can certainly applaud their efforts.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #66 of 164
Just wanted to share that my MIAD01 has finally arrived after ordering from Taobao! I'm super excited to dive into these and see how they stack up.

I've put together an unboxing video and a few pictures to give you a closer look. Check it out below:

Can't wait to share my thoughts on it! If you have any questions or want to see anything specific, let me know.

IMG_20240426_095031.jpg
IMG_20240426_095050.jpg
IMG_20240426_095108.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #68 of 164
Spot on - this is why I ordered it immediately, what is there to lose when we are typically paying 3x this price for the latest Samsung or Apple overpriced junk?
By saying that, you make it sound like there’s no trade offs. There are

You have a weaker SoC than most phones out there with this, a worse camera and questionable software support. (This is kinda important with security updates and Bluetooth protocol updates). Also any intensive gaming or other applications are out of the question here, the chipset is old. An iPhone SE will run circles around this chipset.

Vs a dongle you have unknown performance vs even an entry level dap like an Shanling M0. You have a much sleeker package and screen than most DAPs <$1000 by a large margin

Objectively speaking the MIAD 01 is not a bad product on paper, but it’s not going to be a genre re-defining phone or make the iPhones or Galaxys obsolete. It will make a lot of DAPs look bad though, especially if it performs adequately though

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #69 of 164
Not personally a fan of curved screens - it makes placing tempered glass screen protectors such a hassle.

Otherwise curious to see how this performs but I have my personal reservations on what was done to get to this price point and where savings were made.
Love the 4.4mm output from a phone lol.

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com
Apr 26, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #70 of 164
Just wanted to share that my MIAD01 has finally arrived after ordering from Taobao! I'm super excited to dive into these and see how they stack up.

I've put together an unboxing video and a few pictures to give you a closer look. Check it out below:

Can't wait to share my thoughts on it! If you have any questions or want to see anything specific, let me know.

IMG_20240426_095031.jpgIMG_20240426_095050.jpgIMG_20240426_095108.jpg

CS43198 or CS43131?

Thanks for the unboxing video!

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #71 of 164
Moondrop did announce it will be sold in the US, just not by who yet... I love that they stated about the camera system "It's not good, but it works". Talk about being truthful.. lol

Note that it even though it has Android 13 stock, it says you need to install GMS (Google Mobile Services) manually to get the full range of Google Play apps.
let me guess...Linsoul

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #72 of 164
One thing i'd need to know if it has strong encryption for internal AND external memory. Samsung takes the crown on that because it uses both data AND metadata encryption.
LOL. Expect it to send data back to China. All DAPs send telemetry at the very least. This wont be any different.
Price is definitely attractive and audio quality will likely be better than any dongle. However this is neither a full featured smartphone or a full featured DAP so not sure how big of a market this really creates. By "full featured" I mean the respective mass market priorities for smartphones (photo quality, graphics, AI) and DAPs (power and amp design, DAC implementation, input/output options).
It's surely just a cheap phone with the electronics of a basic dongle included. I wouldn't hope for much. But, people have been asking FiiO to do this for some time now, so maybe it'll push them to make one too.
I wouldn't assume a 4.4mm jack operates in "true" balanced mode. One of the great features of the 4.4mm spec is that is supports both SE and balanced.
For earphones and headphones, you just wire the signal returns to the ground. Any 4-pole connector can do either this way. I think you may have confused the inclusion of the 5th pin for ground, which is required when connecting "balanced" components.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #73 of 164
CS43198 or CS43131?

Thanks for the unboxing video!
No problem! Honestly, I don't have all the details yet. I checked out the official webpage and translated the manual, but it's just a few pages and doesn't mention the DAC chip, number of DAC chips, or power output. I'll be doing more testing this weekend. For now, it looks like it's pretty good for IEMs. I'll also be testing it with low and high impedance headphones later on and I'll let you know how it goes!

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:21 AM Post #74 of 164
Wish you success with this @MOONDROP , truly hope you succeed where so many have failed before. Hope more people today are interested in this then there where 10 years ago. Demand is what ultimately killed all the music phones of yesteryear.
Price is good, despite the weak soc, hope it supports HDR 10 and Dolby vision. As a multimedia device seems amazing.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #75 of 164
No problem! Honestly, I don't have all the details yet. I checked out the official webpage and translated the manual, but it's just a few pages and doesn't mention the DAC chip, number of DAC chips, or power output. I'll be doing more testing this weekend. For now, it looks like it's pretty good for IEMs. I'll also be testing it with low and high impedance headphones later on and I'll let you know how it goes!

Open "Settings" - "About device", and you may find some information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back