Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 14, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #39,301 of 48,562
First of all, @Mad Lust Envy, I'm always happy to see a review from you, man, so thanks for posting!

After reading your review, and then reading your comments above, I decided to run quick measurements of the Sennheiser GAME ONE
I thought what follows was a bit interesting. When I first started doing the Sennheiser GAME ONE measurements, I was marveling at how inefficient these headphones are, before I realized they're not inefficient -- I had the headset volume knob turned down. I'd already run measurements with the volume turned down about halfway, so I re-ran them with the volume turned all the way up, and, to my surprise, they were quite different.

Below are frequency response measurements of the Sennheiser GAME ONE with the volume turned down about halfway (dotted line) and turned all the way up (solid line). As above, the first graph is uncompensated (raw), and the second one has diffuse field compensation applied:

@jude, thank you so much for the graphs.

It's interesting how much the lower half of the spectrum changes depending on how high the volume on the headset itself is.
Those inline or headset built in volume adjustments use variable resistor in series with driver.
Hence they act exactly like output impedance.

And many Sennheiser have varying frequency dependant impedance with big impedance spike at driver's resonant frequency.
With output impedance that acts as voltage divider affecting to how big part of taken power actually drives headphone.

For example if we take HD598 with nominal ~60 ohm impedance, there's actually 280 ohm spike:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=2851&scale=30
If output impedance is zero or small practically all power drives headphone.

Now for simplicity if we add 60 ohm serial resistor only half of power is driving headphone.
But at that resonant frequency situation changes to this:
280/(60+280) = ~0.82
And that's 64% increase to how much of drawn power is driving headphone.
As result bass gets boosted.

Also output impedance affects to (electric) damping factor.
Which is measure of how tightly driver is controlled by signal.
Decrease damping factor enough and that boosted bass starts to lose its power and eventually whole sound quality drops down to sewer.
Once tried such inline volume adjusting thing with HD595.

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #39,303 of 48,562
SURPRISE!!! I'm here to give you guys a review of the Sennheiser GAME ONE open-backed gaming headset. Hope you guys enjoy it.

If you want more comfortable (and slightly larger interior space) earpads, I highly recommend grabbing HD598 black replacement pads. They fit perfectly and are considerably higher quality/comfort than the stock G4ME ONE pads (I have the older version--not sure if they changed anything on the GAME ONE. The GAME ZERO are different from the G4ME ZERO that I have though).

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ear-pads-hd-598-sr

I use the G4ME ZERO at work. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned, and I've owned many (MANY) dozens. The G4ME ONE are excellent for home use and quite comfortable as well. The latter are better for gaming because they're great with positional accuracy.

The G4ME ONE is right up there with the Sennheiser HD598 for FPS gaming. The 598 is perhaps slightly superior because of it emphasizes footstep frequencies well, but the One is more enjoyable to use overall and has a nice integrated microphone.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #39,304 of 48,562
So Atmos Headphones will pass through USB on the Xbox One X or this is speculation? Through HDMI it wont pass through my AVR.
It is a speculation. I am a PC gamer. But isn't the Xbox running on Windows too?

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #39,305 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Can anyone CONFIRM that the Game One has ANGLED drivers like the PC37X? I think they are the same but want to know if they differ here? There is no mention of angled drivers or images of them for the Game One.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #39,306 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Can anyone CONFIRM that the Game One has ANGLED drivers like the PC37X? I think they are the same but want to know if they differ here? There is no mention of angled drivers or images of them for the Game One.
It has angled drivers.

Nov 16, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #39,308 of 48,562
Straight from Senn themselves, they are the same in sound quality, comfort, build, only aesthetics and cable are different. It doesn't bring the short TRRS cable.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #39,310 of 48,562
Can anyone tell me if the HD 599 is better for gaming than the 598?

I've been researching for a few weeks and can't make up my mind. Rtings.com says the 599 are better in almost all aspects but homestudio.com says the sounstage isn't as large, wide, or impressive as the 598.

Excuse my ignorance but don't you rely on sounstage to immerse you in games to hear, for example, footsteps around the corner?

I actually like this review on the 598 but I was hoping to bump the fun up just a tad with the 599.

Great review Mad Lust Envy! It really helped in narrowing the options and coming up on black Friday I have about a week to decide.

Nov 16, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #39,311 of 48,562
Can anyone tell me if the HD 599 is better for gaming than the 598?

I've been researching for a few weeks and can't make up my mind. Rtings.com says the 599 are better in almost all aspects but homestudio.com says the sounstage isn't as large, wide, or impressive as the 598.

Excuse my ignorance but don't you rely on sounstage to immerse you in games to hear, for example, footsteps around the corner?

I actually like this review on the 598 but I was hoping to bump the fun up just a tad with the 599.

Great review Mad Lust Envy! It really helped in narrowing the options and coming up on black Friday I have about a week to decide.
Soundstage is how big of an area the sounds come from, so good for distance. Imaging is the placement of certain audio tracks when mixed front/behind, above/below, left/right.

599 are the newer 598 but as with subjective listening people report slight differences.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #39,312 of 48,562
I recently purchased the magni 3+modi 2 Uber in use with my HD598 for gaming on my Xbox One. I bought an RCA interconnecter to connect both devices and an optical cable to connect from the dac to the console and have an issue because neither the dac nor the amp have an aux in. I have a V-Moda Boom pro mic and the y splitters that connect to my old mix amp but is there any way of connecting any mic to my dac, amp or controller; do I have any viable options?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #39,313 of 48,562
Hello everyone, I am using creative omni sound blaster external sound card combining with Kingston hyperx cloud 2.

For more joy and quality which headset do you advice for gaming? I play mostly fps but listening some lossless musics are my second hobby
smile.gif

It must be closed type and should be below 250 euros.

Headsets I was considering to buy are Beyerdynamic Dt 990 pro and sennheiser hd 598 cs.

And there is a Beyerdynamic mmx 300 thing, but it's out of order for me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back