Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #39,317 of 48,566
@Mad Lust Envy I am assuming you reviewed the AKG 712 pros when you first made this thread. However you just did a review on the game ones and said you wouldn't choose any headphone over these. Your review for both of these headphones pretty much praises both and being the best in their respective category. I was looking for a headphone for gaming. Playing mostly PUBG and I was considering the AKG's until I read your review on the game ones. So is there a clear winner right now for FPS gaming with AKG 712 PRO VS Sennheiser Game ones?

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #39,318 of 48,566
@Mad Lust Envy I am assuming you reviewed the AKG 712 pros when you first made this thread. However you just did a review on the game ones and said you wouldn't choose any headphone over these. Your review for both of these headphones pretty much praises both and being the best in their respective category. I was looking for a headphone for gaming. Playing mostly PUBG and I was considering the AKG's until I read your review on the game ones. So is there a clear winner right now for FPS gaming with AKG 712 PRO VS Sennheiser Game ones?
He stated there was no headset he'd take over the Game One. He then went on to name headsets that he wouldn't take over the Game One. I don't intend to speak for MLE, but headsets and headphones have been two different product categories throughout his guide.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #39,319 of 48,566
Thanks Axel. A clear indication was made. Headsets and headphones are two different categories on my guide.

I'd take the K712 Pro over the Game One any day of the week unless I needed a microphone. I like having a gaming only headset along with a pair that Is use without a mic. Makes things easier then constantly connecting a mic.

In fact, in the K712 Pro price range, they'd likely be my first choice for a headphone if gaming came first.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #39,323 of 48,566
Haven't had chance for longer testing, but 7xx AKGs definitely have very light feel which is never bad thing for comfort.
Also without bumps in headband there isn't that reservation.
K712's frequency response is rather similar to Fidelio and Beyerdynamic DT990 (I'm using) so it should give very good balance between having above neutral strength in bass without it starting to drown everything else.

Other aspect to consider is that as bigger more commonly sold maker you're likely to have far easier time in finding new pads for AKG than Philips...
Because eventually you'll need to replace them again, and ear pads are obviously cheaper than whole new cans.
After all we gamers sure have enough things to spend money frequently in updating PC, without also swapping things which don't get technically obsolete.

Unfortunately, in my country there are no replacement pads for any high end cans at all. I'd have to order them from Amazon regardless of what I pick up. To be honest, I just want fun sounding cans. Competitive is rather a secondary, if not tertiary, thing for me. Importance for me is immersion and fun, then competitiveness.

Two of my headphones were purchased after lots of research, including this thread - for gaming. I'd go with the Fidelio X2 , or AKG 712 pro. AKG only if you have an amp, though. The Audio-Technica ADX line seems to be a very good option as well, which I almost pulled the trigger on.
All of said headphones have a large soundstage and great imaging, from experience the x2 is "funner" sounding but the 712 has more accurate imaging slightly.

With this info, sounds like the X2 is the go to, unless anyone else has any further advice. The Asus Xonar STX is what I'm using to drive, so if that's an issue for the 712's then I can't really get them.

In the future I'd love to get my hands on an external DAC and amp, just not in the cards atm.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #39,324 of 48,566
Unfortunately, in my country there are no replacement pads for any high end cans at all. I'd have to order them from Amazon regardless of what I pick up. To be honest, I just want fun sounding cans. Competitive is rather a secondary, if not tertiary, thing for me. Importance for me is immersion and fun, then competitiveness.

With this info, sounds like the X2 is the go to, unless anyone else has any further advice. The Asus Xonar STX is what I'm using to drive, so if that's an issue for the 712's then I can't really get them.

In the future I'd love to get my hands on an external DAC and amp, just not in the cards atm.
Ive never heard anyone say a bad thing about how the X2s sound if that helps at all. It would be the ones I would have if I would have had more experience before I already spent so much on other headphones. I still plan to get a pair one day even if I have to buy used.

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #39,326 of 48,566
Is it worth it to add the Sennheiser PC37X massdrop headset to the list, or is it just a repackage of one of their other headsets? I have had mine for a few months now and love them! Plus at the price of $120 they are a steal...
Mad mentioned it a few posts back that they are identical to game one performance-wise so there's no point creating a separate entry for them. They are most definitely a steal though.

Nov 18, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #39,328 of 48,566
Currently, I use the mixamp pro 2013 + akg 701 with amp on PS4. But i don't like the background noise.
There is some dac/amp that does not have that problem? but mix the sound of the game and chat like the mixamp.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #39,329 of 48,566
Currently, I use the mixamp pro 2013 + akg 701 with amp on PS4. But i don't like the background noise.
There is some dac/amp that does not have that problem? but mix the sound of the game and chat like the mixamp.
Thanks.
Creative X7 does that but it's a bit more expensive than the Mixamp.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #39,330 of 48,566
Thanks.

Creative X7 has it all, though you'll need something else to hook chat to. Pretty sure there's some drawings on the first page on how to do so with the X7.

I use an X7 myself, though when I chat I go straight off the PS4 controller because if I'm chatting, I pay almost no attention to game audio anyways, so I don't need surround tech. If I'm being competitive, I don't chat. I like to focus purely on the sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back