Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #166 of 1,441
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I find this to make your earlier statement that this is a good amp and will pair well with the HD800 a bit unreliable since you haven't yet heard it but at least I know that now.
It was because I feel many have said good things about its combination with hd 800.
by the way you have had a great review thread going and I like it. hope to see more additional gear in your thread.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #167 of 1,441
It was because I feel many have said good things about its combination with hd 800.
by the way you have had a great review thread going and I like it. hope to see more additional gear in your thread.

That's clear to me now, I'd guess I was just hyped for more first hand experiences :wink:

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Real life has been a bit crazy lately but I hope so start adding more reviews again really soon now :)

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #171 of 1,441
Some internal info fr Cavalli:

1.) The description says the 6922 triode stages are cap coupled.. What cap type did you use? Not just the dielectric material but the manufacturer too if possible pls? Is the value widely available?
Wima, polypropylene film. Widely available.

2.) If it the triode sections are cathode biased, do they use electrolytic cathode bypass caps? Or are they left unbypassed (some local feedback - apart from the global one?)
Bypassed with electrolytics.

3.) Is the solid state output capacitively coupled too? Do they use electrolytics as output coupling caps?
No. The SS buffer is directly (DC) coupled to the headphones.

4.) Is the SMPS wallwart an off the shelf item? Or are they custom designed for the amp? What is done to filter out and decouple any HF hash that the SMPS may impart to the signal?
It is not off the shelf. There is a simple filter circuit at the DC input jack.

5) electronic components are not "cheap Chinese junk." They are all spec'd from manufacturers such as Panasonic, Nichicon, Vishay, OnSemi, Fairchild, Bourns, etc.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #172 of 1,441
Some internal info fr Cavalli:

1.) The description says the 6922 triode stages are cap coupled.. What cap type did you use? Not just the dielectric material but the manufacturer too if possible pls? Is the value widely available?
Wima, polypropylene film. Widely available.

2.) If it the triode sections are cathode biased, do they use electrolytic cathode bypass caps? Or are they left unbypassed (some local feedback - apart from the global one?)
Bypassed with electrolytics.

3.) Is the solid state output capacitively coupled too? Do they use electrolytics as output coupling caps?
No. The SS buffer is directly (DC) coupled to the headphones.

4.) Is the SMPS wallwart an off the shelf item? Or are they custom designed for the amp? What is done to filter out and decouple any HF hash that the SMPS may impart to the signal?
It is not off the shelf. There is a simple filter circuit at the DC input jack.

5) electronic components are not "cheap Chinese junk." They are all spec'd from manufacturers such as Panasonic, Nichicon, Vishay, OnSemi, Fairchild, Bourns, etc.

Thats informative Thanks.:)

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #173 of 1,441
I have attended the SF meet yesterday (will try to post my notes later today on the appropriate thread), but will add my impressions here on the CTH:
@CEE TEE showed up (he's a great guy, BTW) with the CTH. Obviously, a pre-production unit, but looked like a production unit (not like a prototype).
The CTH was connected at @zach915m (ZMF Headphones) table. Since I already joined the drop on day 1, and been eyeing the ZMF Atticus headphones for a while, I figured I would audition how they sound together...
Coming from a guy who likes warm and smooth sound - this is a great match!!
Not that I needed more convincing to get the Atticus, but now that I am committed on the CTH - I am definitely going to buy the Atticus as well (hopefully, sooner rather than later) :)
Not only the sound signature of the combo was so great in my opinion, but the amp definitely had TONS of power to drive this 300 ohms beauty.
I was not paying enough attention, but I believe I was on 50% of the volume pot and already the music was getting too loud...
I will post a photo later, if there is any interest :wink:

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #174 of 1,441
Regarding the poster who said " planars could not be used with FA otl amps"
Not true at all. The Feliks pairs well with planars. Have used mine with Audeze and Oppos.
Trust a person that has actually used the equipment.

Two very different amps and price range though. They should not be compared.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #175 of 1,441
I have attended the SF meet yesterday (will try to post my notes later today on the appropriate thread), but will add my impressions here on the CTH:
@CEE TEE showed up (he's a great guy, BTW) with the CTH. Obviously, a pre-production unit, but looked like a production unit (not like a prototype).
The CTH was connected at @zach915m (ZMF Headphones) table. Since I already joined the drop on day 1, and been eyeing the ZMF Atticus headphones for a while, I figured I would audition how they sound together...
Coming from a guy who likes warm and smooth sound - this is a great match!!
Not that I needed more convincing to get the Atticus, but now that I am committed on the CTH - I am definitely going to buy the Atticus as well (hopefully, sooner rather than later) :)
Not only the sound signature of the combo was so great in my opinion, but the amp definitely had TONS of power to drive this 300 ohms beauty.
I was not paying enough attention, but I believe I was on 50% of the volume pot and already the music was getting too loud...
I will post a photo later, if there is any interest :wink:
Hey good but you have spoken more about the Headphones except for the Volume of CTH. Could you please provide more impressions about the CTH. Thanks

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #176 of 1,441
Hey good but you have spoken more about the Headphones except for the Volume of CTH. Could you please provide more impressions about the CTH. Thanks

I have only audition the CTH with that 1 headphone, so can only provide impressions for that specific combo :relaxed:
It was using the 1/4" (6.3mm) jack, btw. Not the XLR4 (but then again the XLR4 is NOT balanced so should sound similar).
I do get your point - was it smooth and warm because of the headphone, amp, or both? I guess I do not know. Sorry.
I guess my only reference point is using the same headphones with the Feliks Audio Euforia (also at ZMF's table). Not surprising - that match was great too.
It is hard for me to compare, at the meet conditions, whether the Euforia (that cost 5 times more) sounded better or not. I liked both (10 minutes listen at available conditions).

Maybe Zach @zach915m who has the most intimate familiarity with his creation could comment about the CTH. He would know best how that amp compares to other amps with his Atticus (or Eikon).

My personal take-away:
The CTH sounds great, to my tastes, and unlike other tube (OTL) amps - will match well with my planar magnetic and low-impedance headphones (which are most of my collection). Last part of that take-away is based on early impressions by others that low impedance and planars match well with the CTH.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #177 of 1,441
Ok, thanks for clarifying. I find this to make your earlier statement that this is a good amp and will pair well with the HD800 a bit unreliable since you haven't yet heard it but at least I know that now.

Funny how people have never heard the amps or dacs, but can state that planars don't work with this amp, or this amp is fabulous..
Oh well???

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #179 of 1,441
I have only audition the CTH with that 1 headphone, so can only provide impressions for that specific combo :relaxed:
It was using the 1/4" (6.3mm) jack, btw. Not the XLR4 (but then again the XLR4 is NOT balanced so should sound similar).
I do get your point - was it smooth and warm because of the headphone, amp, or both? I guess I do not know. Sorry.
I guess my only reference point is using the same headphones with the Feliks Audio Euforia (also at ZMF's table). Not surprising - that match was great too.
It is hard for me to compare, at the meet conditions, whether the Euforia (that cost 5 times more) sounded better or not. I liked both (10 minutes listen at available conditions).

Maybe Zach @zach915m who has the most intimate familiarity with his creation could comment about the CTH. He would know best how that amp compares to other amps with his Atticus (or Eikon).

My personal take-away:
The CTH sounds great, to my tastes, and unlike other tube (OTL) amps - will match well with my planar magnetic and low-impedance headphones (which are most of my collection). Last part of that take-away is based on early impressions by others that low impedance and planars match well with the CTH.
Thanks for your inputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back