Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #151 of 1,441
You may already of thought of this, but if it reaches the limit before 16 days they will close the drop, so you should keep an eye on the count sold. I have nearly been caught on this before, almost made a purchase that I decided I didn't want...

Thanks for the heads up! But I actually already withdrew, decided to go for the Lyr 2, now happily perusing the tube rolling threads :)

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #153 of 1,441
I frankly could not recommend the Feliks Elise more***. It's just so good. :)

Since discussing the Elise on this thread is off-topic, I will PM you shortly... :)

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #154 of 1,441
I just need to know if this is better than the LC. And if it is, why was the LC comparatively* expensive to start heheh....unless it's something about production volume.

Edited

Better is subjective. You can't really say something is better without testing it yourself.
I have a LC, I Still ordered one of these not cause it'll be better but cause it'll be different. I'm considering it a cheap starting to get into tubes.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #156 of 1,441
Any dac options im a gamer and i decided to buy a new amp because i need to find out if my la figaro 339 is up to par i do find a great deal of difference in comparison of with/without the amp, but im a complete newb with tubes and amps and i actually received my la figaro damaged years ago (its majn problem is the volume knobs need a little messing around with to get the amp functioning....) So i had some money for a new amp and i joined this drop. I own a dragonfly red dac and it sounds good but i was interested in a new dac around $250 or less and I saw the sennheiser gsx 1000/1200 and i was wondering if it could make for a great of both worlds purchase(gaming and music) any suggestions would be nice and i hope A/B the la figaro 339 and CTH with a new dac and my HD650s.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #157 of 1,441
Right at $250, the Modi Multibit (Mimby) is very popular here and on other forums. From some folks who have heard the CTH and posted on audio forums, the recommendation I have seen is that the CTH pairs best with darker or warmer DACs (such as the Mimby), rather than a colder, or more treble emphasized DAC (such as a Sabre DAC chip).

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #158 of 1,441
Right at $250, the Modi Multibit (Mimby) is very popular here and on other forums. From some folks who have heard the CTH and posted on audio forums, the recommendation I have seen is that the CTH pairs best with darker or warmer amps (such as the Mimby), rather than a colder, or more treble emphasized DAC (such as a Sabre DAC chip).
I just hope the CTH will do well with the Senn. Always wanted a tube sound. CTH is an amp and you mentioned pairing well with warmer amps. I am confused. Could you elaborate a bit

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #159 of 1,441
I'd still be interested in comparison to the Ember II if anyone has both.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #160 of 1,441
I just hope the CTH will do well with the Senn. Always wanted a tube sound. CTH is an amp and you mentioned pairing well with warmer amps. I am confused. Could you elaborate a bit

He mean't warmer DACs. If you always wanted tube sound, a OTL tube amp would be a much better choice than a hybrid like this.

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #161 of 1,441
He mean't warmer DACs. If you always wanted tube sound, a OTL tube amp would be a much better choice than a hybrid like this.
Agree. I wanted to buy woo audio but thought first let me get this cavalli hybrid CTH for a great price and later shift to higher.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #162 of 1,441
Looking for an amp to go with my used hd800 I just bought. I'd like to keep my budget under $300. Would this be the best choice? Or would I be better off going with a non-hybrid like a darkcvoice or little dot?
This is good amp and will go well with HD800.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #163 of 1,441
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #164 of 1,441
What other amps have you compared it to?
I have been using my Hd 800 with Burson & Chord Mojo combination and it is outstanding. I felt for trying out the tube amp and for this price opted to buy the CTH. But I have my mind set on Woo audio Wa6 SE which would be target in days to come. I haven't yet made any comparisons.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #165 of 1,441
I have been using my Hd 800 with Burson & Chord Mojo combination and it is outstanding. I felt for trying out the tube amp and for this price opted to buy the CTH. But I have my mind set on Woo audio Wa6 SE which would be target in days to come. I haven't yet made any comparisons.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I find this to make your earlier statement that this is a good amp and will pair well with the HD800 a bit unreliable since you haven't yet heard it but at least I know that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back