Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #286 of 1,441
It seems rather niggling to me, but some seem to think the serialized units might be better received in the resale market. In the computer market, I once had an Apple Macintosh with a serial number below 100, and it was bid up nicely on that point alone. Not sure that will work in this market, but why not for the same price?
I believe they all will have serial numbers. MD is just saying the first 500 orders will get a serial number below 550. everyone will get a serial number.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #287 of 1,441
When I say I listen to music at lower volumes than 90% of most listeners, I mean it. When I listen to music on my JH13 or Noble X from an iPhone, my sustained listening is done on the second or third bar. Also, I had to return a DragonFly Red and Black because the volume was too loud for me at the lowest setting on both of these with IEMs. (I've complained about this with the DFR in this forum several times.) I find this experience of mine to be true with full sized headphones, too. Perhaps I'm in the >99% category rather than the 90% category here. Regardless, the CTH was able to deliver balanced volume levels at low listening volumes while offering me the control I desire.

@Vansen so to be clear, were you stating that this amp would be too loud to use with CIEM's? I'm thinking about buying one to run with my HD6XX coming in December, but I would also like to use it with my CIEM's (UM Merlin's).

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #288 of 1,441
@Vansen so to be clear, were you stating that this amp would be too loud to use with CIEM's? I'm thinking about buying one to run with my HD6XX coming in December, but I would also like to use it with my CIEM's (UM Merlin's).

IEMs are the main thing I listen to, but I haven't listened to them on the CTH. When I'm around a desktop amp, I prefer to listen to full sized headphones. My intuition is going to say that the amp isn't the best option for a CIEM, but I can give it a listen this weekend and report back.

It is great with the HD6XX though.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #289 of 1,441
IEMs are the main thing I listen to, but I haven't listened to them on the CTH. When I'm around a desktop amp, I prefer to listen to full sized headphones. My intuition is going to say that the amp isn't the best option for a CIEM, but I can give it a listen this weekend and report back.

It is great with the HD6XX though.

Great, that would be awesome. It's definitely more of a "can I?" question rather than a "should I" :-D

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #290 of 1,441
I believe they all will have serial numbers. MD is just saying the first 500 orders will get a serial number below 550. everyone will get a serial number.
Just wandering what is the importance of Serial number Or is it a marketing gimmick.:L3000:

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #291 of 1,441
Just wandering what is the importance of Serial number Or is it a marketing gimmick.:L3000:
It's a status thing to have a low serial number. "I got there first". Nothing more.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #293 of 1,441
Trying to decide if I should or shouldn't get in on this. I mean I did just start a new job and this could be my reward to myself for that...

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...:)

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #294 of 1,441
Sep 21, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #295 of 1,441
I can think of maybe a half-dozen reasons why someone might want a serial-numbered item, none overly important, but at least those people don't try to make themselves feel superior by making fun of others on a serious forum.

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #296 of 1,441
I can think of maybe a half-dozen reasons why someone might want a serial-numbered item, none overly important, but at least those people don't try to make themselves feel superior by making fun of others on a serious forum.
ALL the CTHs will be serial numbered. We are talking about have a serial number of 300 vs 1000. I'm not making fun of anyone. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What is the advantage of having serial number 300 vs 1000?

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #297 of 1,441
ALL the CTHs will be serial numbered. We are talking about have a serial number of 300 vs 1000. I'm not making fun of anyone. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What is the advantage of having serial number 300 vs 1000?
I can only think some people may believe it has a higher resell value being an earlier model. Not sure.

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #298 of 1,441
I realize few people have heard the LCX and/or the CTH but the LCX is probably close enough to the Liquid Carbon that people may be able to make some guesses.

I currently have a Grace m9xx and the following headphones:
1. Kx77
2. THx00 Purpleheart
3. HD6xx
4. HE400i

I am in the Cavalli CTH drop but am thinking about the getting LCX instead. I have the following questions:

1. if you are familiar with the Grace m9xx amp section, how would it compare with the LCX since both are solid state amps? from an amp standpoint would this be an upgrade or a sidegrade?
2. for each of the above headphones, which amp would be the best match, the CTH or the LCX? This may be a solid state vs hybrid question, but any help here would be great.

I will also try putting this in the LCX forum in case there are people not following both forums and might be able to provide some assistance.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Sep 26, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #299 of 1,441
I realize few people have heard the LCX and/or the CTH but the LCX is probably close enough to the Liquid Carbon that people may be able to make some guesses.

I currently have a Grace m9xx and the following headphones:
1. Kx77
2. THx00 Purpleheart
3. HD6xx
4. HE400i

I am in the Cavalli CTH drop but am thinking about the getting LCX instead. I have the following questions:

1. if you are familiar with the Grace m9xx amp section, how would it compare with the LCX since both are solid state amps? from an amp standpoint would this be an upgrade or a sidegrade?
2. for each of the above headphones, which amp would be the best match, the CTH or the LCX? This may be a solid state vs hybrid question, but any help here would be great.

I will also try putting this in the LCX forum in case there are people not following both forums and might be able to provide some assistance.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

What sonic change are you looking to get via either the CTH or the LCX?

I owned every headphone you have listed, and the Carbon. I still own the m9xx. Personally, the only headphone I did not care for on the m9xx was the HE400i, and I thought it did well on the Carbon (LCX), to tame the highs I disliked - needs balanced cables, but those aren't hard to purchase or build for HiFiMan headphones. Very few have heard the CTH, but impressions I'm reading are not that of a warm tube amplifier. So I'm asking, what change are you trying to gain through either purchase of the CTH or LCX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back