Me and Fraseyboy are OK! Earthquake!
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #34 of 113
Be sure to secure some sort of clean water supply - I'd rather have water than power, Internet or even food. If you can, try to secure 5-10 gallons for the next few days. Good thing you have power, since you'll be able to boil water if you need to.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #37 of 113
Those road pictures are pretty impressive. It's going to need a lot of tax money for such a small country to fix that...

Sep 4, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #39 of 113

Quote:
We'll be fine. Our natural disaster schemes are some of the best in the world.

I was tempted to make a Lord of the Rings joke, but good taste prevailed.

Great to hear that no deaths have been reported and only a majority of minor injuries! Stay strong and like Erik suggested, get your hands on water ASAP!

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #41 of 113
Only just heard about this and am glad to hear that you guys (and just about everyone else down there) is ok.  Indeed, as Uncle Erik said, make sure you have a good supply of drinking water.

The irony is not lost in this pic
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #42 of 113
I went to the supermarket earlier and it was full of people stocking up for the end of the world. Like REALLY full. And all I bought was chocolate and milk.

I'm amazed at how strong and often these aftershocks are. It's been almost 18 hours since the full quake and these still a small quake every half hour or so. Some of them feel like 4-5 on the richter scale while others are just little rumblings which are more heard than felt. There has been at least 40 aftershocks by my count.

Apparently the cost of repair to the infrastructure and roads is going to be towards 2 billion dollars. The country has plenty of money set aside for such a disaster and will have no problems fixing it up. Authorities aren't entirely sure how bad things are but we were told not to flush our toilets and to boil the water before drinking it in case something has burst and the water supply has become contaminated. A gas leak in the city ignited earlier and they had trouble putting out the blaze due to a lack of water pressure. Hopefully this doesn't cause too many problems.

They're also saying heavy winds tomorrow could knock over weakened buildings, which I doubt very much but we'll see. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back