Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
May 17, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #481 of 498
They don't measure well to me, what I heard was what I see up there. The bass bump around 120 hz overwhelms the sub bass, so you either go bass anemic to subdue that, or you crank it to get the lower subs, but you have to deal with that. After 120 hz it free-falls into the low mids, making it sound oddly thin. 500 hz to 2.3 khz is nice, an abrupt dip at 2.8, an important area. Between 3 - 4 khz, a painful area where a gentle dip helps, has no dip. Too much of a cut at 6 khz to take sibilance but only part of it then literally straight up to a massive 7 - 8 khz spike. It goes down but is up again, right about 10 khz. It's been a rough ride but seems to tame itself after that. I really wanted to like them, when I tried them. They weren't even comfortable either, bulky and heavy. It is just rough all around.

I recognize the curve appears bumpy, but the deviations in the bass through mid-range are mostly +/- 5db. Solderdude explains it well why this measures properly and he sums it up "The sound quality of this headphone is quite good and nearing HD600/HD650 quality". He has always been on-point with his measurements and I haven't seen a more thorough analysis. But I can see why some might not like its sound. It isn't an easy listening headphone for sure.

The step response is quite good, where many headphones show a significant roll off in bass.

That 120hZ hump is not too significant, and gives it punch, but it still extends very low in the subs. The headphone truly comes into its on own when you are wearing it out, where its fit, isolation, and frequency curve just cuts through any environmental noise. It's an oversized Amperior :wink:

I've been through many closed-backs, and I could see how this headphone isn't an ideal 'home can'. It isn't designed for it, with its short cable, tighter fit and bulk. I enjoy its clarity and relatively neutral (but stylized) signature that can still allow me to enjoy dynamic recordings on the go.

Relevant to this discussion, for those look for a Sennheiser closed backs:

Looking for a tonally neutral closed back, that is punchy and balanced? Sennheiser HD25 1-II - still incredible. Will work with almost all genres but pianos will sound compressed. Extremely rugged and compact with very good isolation being an on-ear.

The classic HD250 is fantastic. Revived a couple times with variations in each edition, it is a bit hard to come by in premium shape. It is much more even-handed in the mid range than the 630VB and more tonally accurate. Accented lows and highs but they still gel well with the sound. Also very comfy.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd250-linear-impressions-micro-thread.845221/

Incredibly, Sennheiser is creating a spiritual sucessor that shouldn't break the bank - the HD 300. Coming this August I believe.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ressions-thread-hd-250-linear-revival.877568/

The modern Sennheiser sound changed when Axel took over. With the move towards the HD580 and onward, Senn changed its sound, away from the slightly drier, harsher, analytical precision and faithful reproduction of headphones such as the HD540 (of which the 250 driver design and tonality is similar). Hopefully, the HD 300 is return to this earlier sound, which will be first in decades. The HD700, 800 and 630VB for that matter have a bit of 'sheen' or sparkle.

That said, I absolutely love my HD800, and it works well for the classical, electronic and ambient genres I listen to. But put on some funk, soul, or classic jazz - and the 540 surpasses it tonally. Even still, the 800 can still be preferred as it's modern diffuse-field is so relaxed and expansive that it brings a naturalness of its own.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #482 of 498
So i need a closed back set of headphones for the office, but have been spoiled by my HD800s and my now newly acquired Focal Utopias. What is the best set of closed back cans that will give me a similar listening experience...are these HD820s the way to go, worth the price or can something better be had for similar cost?

I haven't had much experience with closed back headphones, had a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones and I absolutely hated them. Picked up the HD650 as my first intro into open headphones and never looked back...they were so much better.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #485 of 498
Just got mine. Simply blown away. It is definitely a lot better than my HD 800 in every aspect. I am driving it through HDVD 800, SPL Phonitor and Pioneer SC09, but now I am tempting to get HDV 820 to match it up with HD 820.

Just curious if you ever heard the STAX 007 MK2? Similar in price used. I am just curious what your thoughts on are vs the 820 and a 007 MK2, because I tend to prefer STAX (but I have not heard any high end cans yet), I have some Hifiman Ananda's coming soon on a review loaner program, but they will be the first high end I have ever heard.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #486 of 498
Just curious if you ever heard the STAX 007 MK2? Similar in price used. I am just curious what your thoughts on are vs the 820 and a 007 MK2, because I tend to prefer STAX (but I have not heard any high end cans yet), I have some Hifiman Ananda's coming soon on a review loaner program, but they will be the first high end I have ever heard.

Sorry, no, haven't heard STAX 007 MK2.

To be honest, HD 800 was my only over the ear phones I have been enjoying since the day they came out. Never FELT the NEED to get anything else until today. Though I have many IEMs but HD 820 was my 2nd full-size headphone in almost 10 years. The first thing I noticed with HD 820 as soon as I dropped the needle for the first time. More bass. Everything else is more, a lot more detail in every instrument, but more bass because they are closed.

But I am loving them. Until yesterday I was thinking to cancel the order, and just stick with HD 800 but today I have forgotten its price tag.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #487 of 498
Crazzy sounds very good sennheiser made huge work on this before releasing it.
How you find the treble for me my hd800S with hdv820 still to treble high for me.
Thinking to change or maybe sell my setup

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #488 of 498
Sorry, no, haven't heard STAX 007 MK2.

To be honest, HD 800 was my only over the ear phones I have been enjoying since the day they came out. Never FELT the NEED to get anything else until today. Though I have many IEMs but HD 820 was my 2nd full-size headphone in almost 10 years. The first thing I noticed with HD 820 as soon as I dropped the needle for the first time. More bass. Everything else is more, a lot more detail in every instrument, but more bass because they are closed.

But I am loving them. Until yesterday I was thinking to cancel the order, and just stick with HD 800 but today I have forgotten its price tag.

I'm not sure where you live, but you really should try to make it a head-fi meet up someday and experience a wide range of high end headphones, you never know, your taste might change over time.

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #489 of 498
Impression of the 820 and comparison of it with 800s and more by Lachlan (of Lachlanlikesathing) and Eric, the crews of MiniDiscTV. Comparison begin from 3:00 after introductions.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #490 of 498
What's the best place to order HD 820 replacement parts online? I'd like to refresh the stock ear pads + headband but the Sennheiser site isn't exactly user-friendly for locating parts.

(I got the Dekoni Elite Hybrids for the 800 but they're terrible: They move my ears too far from the drivers and turn an amazing headphone into a mediocre one in seconds.)

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #491 of 498
What's the best place to order HD 820 replacement parts online? I'd like to refresh the stock ear pads + headband but the Sennheiser site isn't exactly user-friendly for locating parts.

(I got the Dekoni Elite Hybrids for the 800 but they're terrible: They move my ears too far from the drivers and turn an amazing headphone into a mediocre one in seconds.)
If I need any Sennheiser spare parts not listed on their site, I go to an authorized reseller. They can access any part I learned.

Mar 13, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #492 of 498

Sennheiser dealer here. It is usually a quick phone call or email for us to get a part number and a price for you. Heck I just asked my Sennheiser rep to grab me a cost for the pads and the headband who is looking that up for me right now.

Mar 13, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #493 of 498
Sennheiser dealer here. It is usually a quick phone call or email for us to get a part number and a price for you. Heck I just asked my Sennheiser rep to grab me a cost for the pads and the headband who is looking that up for me right now.
Yes that is what I meant, good job, Alan!

Mar 23, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #494 of 498
An evening beside the fire.
A046E7D1-74BE-4F3B-9A8C-A71FEA8C4C21.jpeg

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #495 of 498
Thinking about getting the HD820 for moving around in the house with a DAP. Anyone driving theirs with a DAP? Not sure if there is one out there to drive it to its potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back