Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Feb 13, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #466 of 498
I imagine the Dekoni sheepskin (not Fenestrated, with holes) would seal better and add even more low end. It's clear from what we are hearing that there could be a little more bass and punch there. I think the Dekoni could enhance the bass nicely for those who feel there wasn't enough of an enhancement down there. Though there are rare cases stock velour beats pleather pads. So I guess folks should go read the discussion area on MassDrop for the pads and those who have already used them on open Sennheiser HD800 & HD800s.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #467 of 498
Nah, I think they're fine, especially if the HD820 managed the same soundstage size as HD800

Let's remember, HD800 isn't a large sounding headphone, it is the largest sounding open back headphone. If that is possible in HD820 it won't be the largest closed back headphone, it will be the largest sounding headphone as well, closed or open back.

This being said, I am even more enthused about the new pads, those seem even more comfy than HD800, at least from the photos

The price might settle with time, what is important is how good these are, so when the price settles, you know you'll be able to purchase some amazing headphones

You can guarantee they will be loved but I just think 1,000 extra is too much to ask for to get a closed back version. I suppose it’s not really Sennheisers fault, if they don’t price them so high they could get ignored as a serious high end headphone. We have other companies to thank for that.

You know whenever HD900 comes it’s going to be over 3 or 4 thousand.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #471 of 498
Other than their $60,000 flagships (the best headphones I've ever heard, as expected) these were the second best at the show, and I tried every over ear there. The best closed back headphones I've heard in terms of both incredible accuracy, and fun. Comfortable and lightweight. They did everything we like about the HD800S with perhaps a touch less legendary spaciousness, but slightly warmer highs, fuller mids, punchier yet clean mid bass and more and better extended sub bass. Didn't get to fully test how low it goes in the lowest subs as preferably I do, but what I heard impressed me. They need to find a way to get that tech down to the HD six-series. Maybe a semi open HD670 and closed HD680? They were great.

May 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #474 of 498
The 1900.00 was a special that heahonebar was running a little while ago.Last week on Amazon there was a special for 1999.00 but it’s over now.
I’m going to wait till the 820 comes out,maybe the 800s will get a price reduction or maybe there will be some specials.

May 15, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #476 of 498
HATERZZZZ!

May 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #477 of 498
HD630VB is an epic turd.

Oh my, well I think you're not alone on that assessment, but there is also a minority who have praised it on here, including the extreme basshead thread originator -- although not as a basshead phone, granted.

May 16, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #478 of 498
630VB is hard to backup, everything is just so very very wrong but I guess it takes a few grand to get a good closed phone from Senn considering the price tag of 820 huh

May 16, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #479 of 498
May 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #480 of 498
They don't measure well to me, what I heard was what I see up there. The bass bump around 120 hz overwhelms the sub bass, so you either go bass anemic to subdue that, or you crank it to get the lower subs, but you have to deal with that. After 120 hz it free-falls into the low mids, making it sound oddly thin. 500 hz to 2.3 khz is nice, an abrupt dip at 2.8, an important area. Between 3 - 4 khz, a painful area where a gentle dip helps, has no dip. Too much of a cut at 6 khz to take sibilance but only part of it then literally straight up to a massive 7 - 8 khz spike. It goes down but is up again, right about 10 khz. It's been a rough ride but seems to tame itself after that. I really wanted to like them, when I tried them. They weren't even comfortable either, bulky and heavy. It is just rough all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back