Meet the Sennheiser HD 820
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #451 of 498
Want a nice Senn closed back? Sennheiser made it before the HD580, and even reissued it over a decade later. HD250 Linear and HD250 Linear MkII. My 600ohm Mk1 has the same mid-range magic as the 600/650. I feel it also has better treble coherency and balance, and it has better bass extension and quantity. The driver tech really is from the same era, yet people continue to put the 580 series on a pedestal. Perhaps deservedly so, but many classic get overlooked.

The HD250 Linear has an easier going balance than the 630VB. It has detail but is infinitely listenable like HD650 and LCD2, but with more air and bass presence. HD820 won't even sound like it :wink:

HD630VB is more tuned, though still is fairly linear overall. Has some stylistic dips to separate bass and highs. Also, happy to report, that it is becoming much more comfortable after some use (the headband is clampy like many Senns). It's a bit like carrying around a portable LCD2 - both in weight and quality.

Jan 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #453 of 498
Want a nice Senn closed back? Sennheiser made it before the HD580, and even reissued it over a decade later. HD250 Linear and HD250 Linear MkII. My 600ohm Mk1 has the same mid-range magic as the 600/650. I feel it also has better treble coherency and balance, and it has better bass extension and quantity. The driver tech really is from the same era, yet people continue to put the 580 series on a pedestal. Perhaps deservedly so, but many classic get overlooked.

The HD250 Linear has an easier going balance than the 630VB. It has detail but is infinitely listenable like HD650 and LCD2, but with more air and bass presence. HD820 won't even sound like it :wink:

HD630VB is more tuned, though still is fairly linear overall. Has some stylistic dips to separate bass and highs. Also, happy to report, that it is becoming much more comfortable after some use (the headband is clampy like many Senns). It's a bit like carrying around a portable LCD2 - both in weight and quality.
Oh, I've seen a picture of that one before, looking at the reviews of it here seems rather interesting, thanks for telling me about it.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #454 of 498
bass light, neutral, bass heavy, warm, thin, cold - will see. Like i said before, some people will be happy with the "neutral" bass tuning of the 800 or 800s and others will be disappointed - I have a feeling that senn is going to have a hard time pleasing everybody - Do current owners of the 800 prefer more bass? Good question for a poll. So hard to please all the music lovers, how about the bass of the he-1, would that please everybody?

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #455 of 498
Makes sense. That variable bass set shows pitfalls of that. The HD6 series has the benefits of great fit, and comfort for the largest ears and heads (if you gently bend the metal extenders to reduce clamp). The shape works, it's why their $60,000 flagship has it vs. the supposedly better HD700 / HD800 shape. Having it be in a similar design allows them to use a lot of parts they have. Building entirely new lathes, tools, it's a whole lot to take on. There is a reason why not everyone wants to start such a design all from scratch. The HD250 Linear MkII looks good but has issues. Graphs show big dips in the low mids, and some serious high end peaks. I'm one of those who don't yearn for any more treble than what the HD650 has, which is close to ideal.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #456 of 498
The HD250 Linear MkII looks good but has issues. Graphs show big dips in the low mids, and some serious high end peaks. I'm one of those who don't yearn for any more treble than what the HD650 has, which is close to ideal.

Ah, that lower-mid dip sounds fine in a closed design. The mid-range on these is just excellent which is where the majority of the information is coming. Those high-end peaks aren't bothersome to me, and I feel too many cans the HD650 among them are just a bit too sleepy - even though they have such great, smooth treble. I'll just say it sounds right,and I can understand why they had such a huge following on Graham Slee's forums and glad I took the jump. Sometimes you just have to hear it and live with the cans - graphs be damned.

I would love to put it up against an HD820 someday, just to compare. :)

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #457 of 498
I’ve recently been listening to a number of IEMs which are technically missing the lowest sub-bass, producing a ton of warm lower-lower mids in place, and I can live with the system fine. If this new flagship graphs out to just have a tiny boost in the lower midrange over the HD800 series, I’ll simply buy it unheard.

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #459 of 498
My only question is that those pads gonna fit the older hd800?
Because they look thicker and probably more comfortable?
Anyone knows?
:L3000:
They are still prototypes, how should anyone here know?

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #464 of 498
For £1,000 more than the HD800S I’d want two headphones :p

Nah, I think they're fine, especially if the HD820 managed the same soundstage size as HD800

Let's remember, HD800 isn't a large sounding headphone, it is the largest sounding open back headphone. If that is possible in HD820 it won't be the largest closed back headphone, it will be the largest sounding headphone as well, closed or open back.

This being said, I am even more enthused about the new pads, those seem even more comfy than HD800, at least from the photos

The price might settle with time, what is important is how good these are, so when the price settles, you know you'll be able to purchase some amazing headphones

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #465 of 498
For £1,000 more than the HD800S I’d want two headphones :p
You will get two headphones in one, an open sounding closed back headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back