Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #16 of 7,704
I've left mine running on pink noise out of my iPad for a few days. Usefully the case is quite noise-isolating. 
wink.gif

The sound seems a bit better now - less of a shock going from my HD800s to them.  

I've recommended larger earpads and a 6.5mm cable set, as I'm not sure that the slight congestion in the sound isn't just a lack of space around my ears. They are somewhat large for portable headphones.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 7,704
  I've left mine running on pink noise out of my iPad for a few days. Usefully the case is quite noise-isolating. 
wink.gif

The sound seems a bit better now - less of a shock going from my HD800s to them.  

I've recommended larger earpads and a 6.5mm cable set, as I'm not sure that the slight congestion in the sound isn't just a lack of space around my ears. They are somewhat large for portable headphones.

that ought to be a huge difference in sound, about as different as can be. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 7,704
Ok, I think I have spent enough time with the 99 Classics to post my first impressions. This is not so much a mini-review as me rambling off thoughts.

I almost gave up on Canada Post delivering my 99 Classics on time yesterday as it was 4:30pm and heard no door-bell, but something told me to go down to the post-box and check for a delivery notice. Upon opening the door, I was greeted by not a failed delivery/pick-up notice rather a key to the big parcel box. I hastily opened up the larger box door and laughed out loud to myself; The lazy-cheeky postal worker saw that the box was an exact fit for the hold and was able to squeeze it in there with zero room to spare. I have small fingers so it was no problem to grab hold of the edges and pull it out. When I got the package inside and opened it up, my first thought was 'Damn they are cold!', followed by 'I wonder how long they were sitting in the box?'. Not an issue, I do live in Canada after all. Then my first impressions took a negative hit:

RANT TIME! Now, this is in no way directed towards Meze, rather the PRC and the person who boxed my headphones. I was rather excited when I saw that Meze were awesome enough to include a variety of STICKERS with their headphones! As a Gen X/ child of the 1980s, I LOVE STICKERS! In fact, I really appreciate it when I open up a box of tech and I find an included badge, pin, card, poster, key ring, button, lanyard, or sticker. To my disappointment, there was absolutely nothing inside the box except the case/headphones; I was expecting a bag with at least the usual product writeup and warranty card, which I am assuming also contained the STICKERS...nope! So now I sit here looking at an empty space on my desk's cupboard that I had assigned to the Meze sticker....sad...

Fit/Looks
Anyway, normally when I get new piece of tech(/toys) I immediately start playing with it, however when I first put the 99 Classics on my head I instead sat in awe. I could not believe how comfortable they were! The quick-fit system was new to me and was please with how fast and easy (no muss no fuss) it was to to get the perfect fit. Wearing glasses, the pads did not add any unwanted discomfort (at first, but when I took them off there was sore imprints of the arm-tips on my ears...typical before break-in of any pads) and the soft padded/wide headband feels like I am wearing nothing! Not only that, but simply wearing the 99 Classics made me feel like a million bucks! Before I even plugged in the cables I spent several minutes admiring myself in the mirror, capturing the stunning beauty and craftsmanship of the headphones from every angle. I normally don't do this. The only time I check out myself in the mirror is for a simple 'do I look presentable?' check before heading out the door...in pyjama pants and crocks! I am a non-flashy no-nonsense practical type of guy when it comes to looks and fashion, and could care less what a pair of headphones looks like upon my noggin. But the 99 Classics seem to radiate elegance and prestige, and made me feel really good about myself while wearing them, kind of like a Disney princess wearing a dress for the first time made from faery magic!

Sound
I did not know what to expect. In all honesty I was expecting the 99 Classics to sound no better that a solid pair of quality Sony or Panasonic. In other words, pretty good, but not spectacular. The first track I had que'd up on my iPod was EPICA's Dreamscape off from The Quantum Enigma. This tracks starts off with Simone's angelic voice accompanied by a piano with subtle splashes of strings and shimmering cymbals, joined in by a choir until the 1:40 mark where the drums and guitars rev in giving a more heavy, epic tone. As the name suggests, the open, airy, ethereal sound of the song is that of a angelic dreamscape. The song not only has an amazing arrangement, but is one of my current favourites that has received many listenings. When I pushed play:

The 99 Classics blew my mind, exceeding my expectations by an embarrassing amount! These were not simply a sold pair of drivers wrapped up in stunning eye candy, Meze's claims of a true audiophile sound were not exaggerated! In all honesty, the 99 Classics sound signature, quality, and overall transparency/resolve sound like the person love-child of the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and the Sennheiser Momentum, wrapped up in a blanket of wood bliss! These are NOT your typical 'Men's Boutique' classy middle-age Dad headphones who's style overshadows their actual performance; The 99 Classics sound as fantastic as they look!

Bass: Fast, powerful, clean, with exceptional extension, but never overshadows the mids (for the most part) and treble despite adding that wood-warmth to the overall sound. The bass is pretty linear, with no typical mid-bass hump, but I must say that in terms of quantity it may be too much for audiophile purists. While much cleaner than my Momentums, the bass quantity of both headphones are on par with each other. I don't want to call out Meze, but the FR curve of the bass should be 2dB higher than pictured. However I wouldn't call the 99 Classics "Bass-heads"; I really depends on your personal preferences I suppose. *Note: while the bass is awesome 98% of the time, on rare occasion the mid-lower mid-bass can sound too woody. It's not unpleasant, and is merely a characteristic of the wood enclosure and not distortion.* I will note though, out of every pair of headphones I have owned over the recent years, NONE have truly extended down to 10Hz. Playing this test track, none of them are audible when the announcer says "10Hz", in fact with the 99 Classics as soon as I push play I immediately get the sub-bass rumble before words are spoken! A quick comparison, my Momentums start just before the 20Hz announcement, my M4U 1s start right at the 20Hz, while my HD598s start at aprx. 26Hz. Fantastic! Or is that Woodtastic!?

Mids: Ruler flat, clean, smooth,  sitting perfectly in the middle with no recession, nor in-your-face glare. There is plenty of detail and micro detail to be heard, resulting in above par texture/transparency; Instruments and vocals sound very life-like and are quite engaging. While the 99 Classic's mids don't offer absolute resolve, they do instead favour smoothness over the nano-details resulting in a more musical presentation as well as more forgiving to poorly mastered tracks. All in all, very satisfying!

Treble: Much like the mids, very clean and smooth, ruler flat, and great extension with a gentle roll-off. While being very neutral and relaxed (thanks to the wood), the treble is very detailed with just the right amount of sparkle and crispness. There are no typical lower-mid treble spikes (which I loath) commonly found in high end headphones yet instruments and sounds crash, whiz, zip, and pop with good effect. I am actually impressed with not just the execution, but also the extension. There are several tracks that have bells or cymbals that on 90% of headphones I have listened to sound cringe-worthy, like a shark took a bite out of their decay, and as a result I use them for critical testing of absolute treble extension. I must say, while not having as much prismatic sparkle and sheen as my PSBs, the 99 Classics nailed it! Call me impressed!!

Sibilance: Accurate and very controlled. My ears are sensitive to frequencies in the sibilance region. That said, I did not hear any harshness, peakiness, or accentuation. Every voice had perfect sounding F, S, and Ts while maintaining a good sense of natural breath.

Soundstage: For a closed back set of headphones, the 99 Classics are well above par when it comes to soundstage. Up/down, left/right, and forward/back all had a good sense of space. Instruments never sounded congested. I do feel though that holographic imaging does take a hit in favour of the lush, warm sound that wood provides. I in no way though would consider that a negative.

Ok folks, there you have it. My impressions after about 10 hours of breaking the 99 Classics in. I will say that during that time, I do hear signs of burn-in taking effect (especially in the bass). I still have another 30 hours of real-use burn-in (I don't believe in running pink noise through them for days straight) before I will start on my actual review.

Meze, you guys have a real winner here with the 99 Classics!

beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 7,704
Just got these in today from the headphone tour, spending some time with them, going to try them on other systems, tried them on the Project Sunrise III and EF2A so far, need to try them on the Sony UDA-1 and Creative E5 next. I am quite impressed with them, definitely have a smooth liquid type sound, that I am used to from the Nighthawks and the HD 650. Very easy to listen to, only complaint sound wise so far is they don't have the sense of scale or holography of the Nighthawks or to a lesser degree the HD 650. I am still adjusting to it's sound signature though, but already seem like one of the select few headphones that won't bother my ears long term. Earcups are definitely on the small side but so far I can handle them without much issue. 

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #20 of 7,704
Like kman1211, I just got these as part of the tour. I'm lucky enough to have had a physical handoff from my man grizzlybeast. Drop off in the usual spot. It's nice to have such a friendly, experienced headfi'er nearby!

I've given a few familiar songs a listen out of my iPhone 5S, and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Bass is well-extended and a bit elevated. Mids and treble sound smooth as can be. Out of my iPhone, it sounds a bit boomy but I know that'll change once I switch over to one of my DAPs or an amp. The promise is there!

Like the self-adjusting headband. Comfy!

Cups could stand to be a bit bigger. My ears aren't all that big, and they just barely fit inside. In fact, my left ear must be a bit bigger than my right ear because these are very nearly on-ear on the left. Cramped!

Clamp force is good. Not to tight, but tight enough to stay on while bending over to pick up all the random kids' toys littering my living room. My glasses were pushed out from my nose a bit, and I could tell they'd get a bit uncomfortable if I wore them too long.

I was one of the early whiners about using gold, asking for silver accents instead. Now that I've got them, the gold isn't too bad. In fact, I know if like it. I'd still prefer silver, mind you, but I can see rocking the gold accents.

Fit & finish seems quite good. Better than some more expensive headphones I've tried recently, to he honest.

Obviously, I'll listen more over the next week and report back when I'm done.

Question for Meze: Any chance you'll make a headphone with the same sound signature but with larger diameter, circular cups? Those would be more comfy and would probably add more sense of space to the sound.

Jan 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #21 of 7,704
Like @kman1211, I just got these as part of the tour. I'm lucky enough to have had a physical handoff from my man @grizzlybeast. Drop off in the usual spot. It's nice to have such a friendly, experienced headfi'er nearby!

I've given a few familiar songs a listen out of my iPhone 5S, and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Bass is well-extended and a bit elevated. Mids and treble sound smooth as can be. Out of my iPhone, it sounds a bit boomy but I know that'll change once I switch over to one of my DAPs or an amp. The promise is there!

Like the self-adjusting headband. Comfy!

Cups could stand to be a bit bigger. My ears aren't all that big, and they just barely fit inside. In fact, my left ear must be a bit bigger than my right ear because these are very nearly on-ear on the left. Cramped!

Clamp force is good. Not to tight, but tight enough to stay on while bending over to pick up all the random kids' toys littering my living room. My glasses were pushed out from my nose a bit, and I could tell they'd get a bit uncomfortable if I wore them too long.

I was one of the early whiners about using gold, asking for silver accents instead. Now that I've got them, the gold isn't too bad. In fact, I know if like it. I'd still prefer silver, mind you, but I can see rocking the gold accents.

Fit & finish seems quite good. Better than some more expensive headphones I've tried recently, to he honest.

Obviously, I'll listen more over the next week and report back when I'm done.

Question for Meze: Any chance you'll make a headphone with the same sound signature but with larger diameter, circular cups? Those would be more comfy and would probably add more sense of space to the sound.

We are experimenting with different shapes of earpads but I would like to add just one thing: our experiments show that a larger diameter cup does not necessarily result in more sense of space. Also, comfort can come sometimes from a deeper earpad with a cavity just as wide and tall as before. Either way, we are still experimenting and will show some prototype earpads at different CanJams.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jan 30, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 7,704
Also, comfort can come sometimes from a deeper earpad with a cavity just as wide and tall as before. Either way, we are still experimenting and will show some prototype earpads at different CanJams.

I don't have any comfort issues when not wearing my glasses, but when I do wear them I do feel that a more plush and deeper ear-pad would alleviate the slight discomfort I experience. But then again, as I stated in my previous post, most over-ear headphones I have owned all started out this way before broken in; I have only had them for a few days after all.

beerchug.gif

P.S. Will existing 99 Classic owners have access to the new pads if changes are made? 

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #24 of 7,704
Jan 30, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 7,704
For me the pads are fine. They just need larger cups. This is why Sennheiser fixed that on the momentum 2... The half way over ear design is really not practical when it comes to comfort and brings an immediate sigh of frustration. But they sound great and once you get a fit they aren't bothersome. The Mh40 don't sound as good (from memory) but even those cups give more room for the average earlobe to fit into.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 7,704
My brother, his girlfriend, and my niece came over to borrow some movies tonight so I thought I'd give them a quick demo of my 99 Classics. After letting each of them listen to a few tracks of their choosing, they were all extremely impressed with the looks, the fit, and especially the sound. All of them said that the 99 Classics were the most comfortable earphones they have worn. None of them had any issues with the size of the ear-pads, and agreed that the sound isolation was great. They also commented on how easy they were to slip the headphones on and get a perfect fit without messing around with any clicking arms. Of course, they all thought the 99 Classics looked stunning and classy. In terms of sound, their first impressions after taking them off were 'beautiful', 'crystal clear', and 'quite possibly the best headphone I have ever heard'. My brother, who has a decent pair of Bose (yuk) over-ears said that he had never head Megadeth sound so perfect. He said that vocals sounded very natural, the drums had great power and speed, and that every pick, every strum, and every screech and wail of the guitars sounded crystal clear yet the distortion was very detailed. *Just like to add to his comment that I too agree with him on the distortion. Honestly, the 99 Classics renders distortion like a boss!!* I told them the price in CND dollars, and no-one said 'whoa!', rather 'ya, they sound like they are worth that much'. 

beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #27 of 7,704
For me the pads are fine. They just need larger cups. This is why Sennheiser fixed that on the momentum 2... The half way over ear design is really not practical when it comes to comfort and brings an immediate sigh of frustration. But they sound great and once you get a fit they aren't bothersome. The Mh40 don't sound as good (from memory) but even those cups give more room for the average earlobe to fit into.

Larger cups are calling out to me as I use these more tonight. I'm digging the sound but wish my smallish ears didn't feel cramped. Maybe pads could be a bit deeper just to give my ears some more breathing room.

These survived my Black Metal test. I successfully listened to several Black Metal songs without feeling like my eardrums were being impaled. Good sign!

Off to watch a show with them...

BTW, using MacBook Pro -> Apogee Groove -> Meze 

L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #28 of 7,704

wink.gif

that ought to be a huge difference in sound, about as different as can be. 

I should probably clarify a bit more: Going from the HD800s to the Meze is going down in resolution, which can feel unpleasant if the switch is done immediately. It didn't feel so bad switching to the 99's after they'd had a few days on pink noise, which is a good thing. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #29 of 7,704
I wish the cable exited at an angle instead of straight down, as I'm getting microphonics as the fabric-covered cable brushes against my shoulders when I move my head. Feeling like a bit of angle might help. Or maybe losing the fabric above the y-splitter. Just thinking out loud...

Enjoying the sound quite a bit, though :L3000:

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #30 of 7,704
I wish the cable exited at an angle instead of straight down, as I'm getting microphonics as the fabric-covered cable brushes against my shoulders when I move my head. Feeling like a bit of angle might help. Or maybe losing the fabric above the y-splitter. Just thinking out loud...

Enjoying the sound quite a bit, though
L3000.gif

Having your source placed ahead of you (like on a desk) will angle the cable enough that it should alleviate rubbing.

I will like to add my 2 cents though. For the shorter cable I too would suggest having the leads smooth after the split, and the control talk moved down a bit. Although using a clip to attach to my jacket always helps, there is an overlooked issue with the shorter cable and using the 99 Classics on-the-go; Winter! Most winter jackets are made of nylon or nylon-esque material, and this causes really bad microphonic, much worse than my corduroy shirt. Not only that, zipping up the the jacket all the way, the control-talk module is damn near inaccessible as it is being pushed/smothered by the cuff/hood. Europe, Canada, and half of the USA have winter with snow and freezing temperatures, and to be honest most headphone manufacturers overlook their climate and outdoors apparel. However, the cable itself does not get stiff when cold. By contrast, the cable for my Momentums gets stiff very fast and very easily in sub-zero temperatures.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back