Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #31 of 7,704
Bansaku: That'd work if I were at my desktop amp, but I'm using the short cord with my iPhone in an "on the go" setup. But even if I was at my desktop, front-angled connectors would be nice.

As an aside, I've got the old HFM HE400. I recently tried out newer HFM headphones and really like that they switched to front-angled connectors.

Jan 31, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #32 of 7,704
 I recently tried out newer HFM headphones and really like that they switched to front-angled connectors.

Ya know, I never really considered angled connectors for OTG, but it does make perfect sense. Something to consider when I eventually make my own custom cable with 1/4" plug.

beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #34 of 7,704
The more time I spend with these the more I like them, heavily remind me of the HD 650 and Nighthawks in that regard but definitely have their own flair and unique signature to them. Imating and soundstage is great, I don't have any complaints about the sound and they are insanely easy to drive, sound great directly out of my iPad Air 2. The bass sounds different than I'm used to but not in a bad way,definitely a unique timbre to it and they have pretty good sub-bass. Like with any headphone I do prefer them on tubes, despite it picking up a fair amount tube noise from the Sunrise III. My ears and head are on the large side so they barely fit my ears and sit on part of my ears, but I can handle that fine. Would like to see a higher-end headphone from Meze in the future bigger earcups in the future. There needs to be more wooden headphones out there.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #35 of 7,704
kman1211: Just to be clear, you're not saying that 99 Classics have same sound signature as HD650 or Nighthawk? Or are you? Just curious as both are in my list of potential purchases. The main thing holding me back from a 99 Classics purchase is that I'm finding I really prefer larger cups, so I'm with you on Meze making a similar sounding headphone with larger cups.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 7,704
kman1211: Just to be clear, you're not saying that 99 Classics have same sound signature as HD650 or Nighthawk? Or are you? Just curious as both are in my list of potential purchases. The main thing holding me back from a 99 Classics purchase is that I'm finding I really prefer larger cups, so I'm with you on Meze making a similar sounding headphone with larger cups.

They are different but all share a somewhat similar sound signature being on what people consider the darker side. They sound more akin to the HD 650 than the Nighthawks(these are unique sounding but in a good way). But like both of those, they don't fatigue me and I grow to like them the more I listen to them. None of them overdo the upper ranges and are all smooth. Only other headphones I've owned I could group in this category is probably the DT 150 and HD 600(too small soundstage and kind of congested sounding hurts these though). I personally think the Hawks are the best of the bunch in terms of sound(I find them flagship level in terms of fidelity) and comfort but they are also the most expensive by a good margin.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #37 of 7,704
"Kind of like the HD 650 in terms of tonality" was also one of my first thoughts when I had the 99 Classics on my head for the first time. The Sennheiser has some more level around 3 kHz though.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #38 of 7,704
"Kind of like the HD 650 in terms of tonality" was also one of my first thoughts when I had the 99 Classics on my head for the first time. The Sennheiser has some more level around 3 kHz though.

True the HD 650 is a bit brighter sounding than the Meze 99 because of that. The Meze 99 I found also seems to have more prominent sub bass.

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #39 of 7,704
To quote my review:
Frequency response summary
The Meze is a very musical headphone with a slightly elevated bass response, even natural midrange, and smooth unoffensive high end. Think HD650 with a better reach down low, less extension in the treble, less upper mids, and possibly slightly rougher in the treble but about the same quantity. This is a very agreeable headphone and overall I would say it is tuned very nicely for my tastes. (because the hd650 still has my fav balance, the the Omni, so i can add the meze there)

However I felt the fcl8s to offer more transparency, but far less dynamics. They are the same price but different design. The Mh40 would make a good battle as both are highly dynamic, with the Mh40 having less roughness/grain but too much clutter and thickness and decay if rem right. Between the two I'd pick the 99s for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back