Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #46 of 7,710
[COLOR=292929]"He's making a list[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]
[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]And checking it twice[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]
[/COLOR][COLOR=292929]Gonna find out who's naughty or nice"[/COLOR]

santa-106.gif

Feel free to pile on in the thread or via PM, Chris.

Looking for HEX-like sound and comfort but cheaper, lol :wink_face:

EDIT: Missed the obvious St. Nikolaus joke there, didn't I?
:beerchug

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #47 of 7,710
Probably the HE-400s, HE-560 or Oppo PM3 then, Nik? (Though I think you already had the Oppo and didn't like it iIrc - but I think the HE-400s could be what you're personally looking for.)

For me the best complementary HP for the brighter cans is the LCD-X which I use for Rock, sometimes Metal and also sometimes Electronical. Not cheaper than the HE-X though, but I took the plunge and got it as complementary HP for the HD 800 in 2014.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #48 of 7,710
Maybe. 99 Classics has a good balanced sound to me. I like it. Just don't think I'd want more upper mids.

The meze imo is balanced. While you have two people saying the upper mids are more on the 650, it's not a lot more amd I am going off memory. The 650 amped right is the better phone. I didnt have both at the same time but the Omni you have sgould have more upper mids as well. Don't trust my memory though. I had a different wood than you as well. My hd650 will be here sometime and you can try em out.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #52 of 7,710
    Time for another impressions update! I have been breaking-in the 99 Classics for about 30 hours, and thus far liking the changes I am hearing. Like I mentioned previously, I am a believer in regular use break-in, and not continuous burn-in. While I am taking notes while using the headphones for recreational use, for critical listening I keep everything consistent; Volume, time of day, seating, source, and the tracks. I don't use any A-B (or ABX) methods of testing, rather my philosophy is that it is far more accurate to KNOW YOUR MUSIC. Besides listening for certain changes on specific tracks, I often will actually pick out one specific passage, chorus, rift, or even one note (like a bell strike or cymbal splash). I also don't believe in your ears/brain becoming accustomed to the headphones over time; Science tells me that it takes no more than 10 minutes of continuous use for you to become completely adjusted to the new sensation. Anyway, here is my update.

First off, the bass! As previously mentioned, I started to notice changes for the good after the first day. Since then it has only gotten better in resolve and control. Less boomy and more liquid, less solid and more elastic. In terms of quantity the 99 Classics sit somewhere between my M4U 1 (faster and better detail) and Momentums (more boomy, less detail). I am also finding that the overall control has increased;  sub-bass and mid-bass response in relation to the song's FR. I never have any trouble distinguishing the bass guitars from the bass drums, and bass drums from the tom-toms. All in all, I am really enjoying and appreciating the 99 Classic's bass response.

Mids and treble haven't really changed all that much, but the better control of the bass has opened up the lower-mids. In my previous post I mentioned that the bass, for the most part, didn't bleed into the mids. The 'for the most part' was referring to male vocals. Artists such as Allan Taylor or Leonard Cohen had at first too much bass in their already low voices, but after 30 hours that is no longer an issue. Overall, vocals, both male and female, have received a touch more resolve and body in the 250-350Hz region. Treble has also opened up a bit as well. Not in terms of air or sound-space, rather subtle detail. On my test tracks I definitely noticed more shine off from bells, more detail in cymbal splashes, and better bite for brass.

All-in-all, I find the 99 Classics to be liquid and silky smooth. Honestly they are one of the most musical and addictive headphones I have heard. Their detail and extension is fantastic, with just the right amount to easily pick out the bad tracks from the good. While not on the level of the HD800 or LCD-X (for the price I am sure Meze are not claiming so), I never have trouble picking out the micro details, nor did I find any track lacking or full of holes. I will probably chime in one more time with an update after I reach the 50-hour mark (before my actual review). Perhaps I will do a comparison of the other headphones I own.

beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #53 of 7,710

The bass curve doesn't look correct to me; it should look more the Momentum. I can tell you first hand the 99 Classics bass is far more detailed and extends deeper than my Momentums. Also the FR graph shows a 3kHz dip and peak at around 8kHz. My ears hate that frequency range and I don't hear much of a dip or peak; The curve should be smoother. But that's just me...

beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #55 of 7,710
The bass curve doesn't look correct to me; it should look more the Momentum. I can tell you first hand the 99 Classics bass is far more detailed and extends deeper than my Momentums. Also the FR graph shows a 3kHz dip and peak at around 8kHz. My ears hate that frequency range and I don't hear much of a dip or peak; The curve should be smoother. But that's just me...

:beerchug:  

I personally learned to just focus on raw measurements as I found they represent what I hear better than compensated graphs. The bass may actually be accurate, I need to test super low sub bass music on them as the roll off occurs around 30hz on the graph, not many dynamic headphones go that deep.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #58 of 7,710
@MezeTeam If I wanted to take the ear pads off to clean them, how would I do so? Do the pads slip over a plate, or are they attached to a plate that snaps on? 
confused.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #59 of 7,710
  @MezeTeam If I wanted to take the ear pads off to clean them, how would I do so? Do the pads slip over a plate, or are they attached to a plate that snaps on? 
confused.gif

beerchug.gif

I recommend you wipe them with moist cloth as they are. if you really wanna take them off, just pull them of the driver plate gently. They are not glued or snap-on.
But please do not put them in the washing machine or anything like that :)

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Feb 4, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #60 of 7,710
  I recommend you wipe them with moist cloth as they are. if you really wanna take them off, just pull them of the driver plate gently. They are not glued or snap-on.
But please do not put them in the washing machine or anything like that :)

Awesome, thanks. I always use good quality leather & vinyl cleaner/conditioner every 3 months (because oil is a destroyer of headbands/ear pads), so I don't want to get any either on the wood or in the seam. I also don't want to make the mistake I had with my HD598 and thinking they were like the Momentums, in which I was trying to pull up a lip but instead shot the pad across the room not knowing they were on a plate.

tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back