New Audiophile - Shopping Thread
Apr 8, 2024 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

bertwaffles

New Head-Fier
I am looking to pick up a set of audiophile headphones. I want to spend 1500 and I am getting a portable amp like the mojo 2.

Use Case:

Main: Gaming will be my main use of the headphones. I am not competitive so I want something immersive that really brings whatever world I am in to life. I play COD MW2, Fortnite, Baldurs Gate, Ark, American Truck Sim, PalWorld, Call of the Wild Angler, Call of the Wild Hunter.

Secondary: Music, I listen to everything but mostly it will be hard rock, metal, 80s rock, classic rock, country, southern rock, blues, rap, some jazz and classical if studying.

Guitar: I also play guitar and use amplitube through a computer as an amp replacement so if it can also do that well then that is great. I play the same genres I listen to.

Third: Travel – I travel a lot so I will potentially use them on a plane but honestly not a deal breaker. I do have Air Pods Pro Gen 2 if I need to tune people out.

I have looked at so many headphones and just don’t know what to do. I can only buy one pair and can’t go try out any. I use to play guitar and rock live so I am really looking to feel like I live in the music and the same for the video games. I am really open to any suggestions. I don’t mind an IEM, Open Back or Closed back. I am concerned with sound leakage but I typically don’t listen to it too loud in bed when plugged into my Legion Go.

I don’t mind EQ if that is what I have to do. Here is what I have looked at but I have no idea where to start.

HD800s

HD820s (my front runner)

Focal Clear

Focal Bathys

HD660s2

Grados RS1x

DT1990

LCD-X

LCD XC

Campfire Andromeda Emerald Sea

Campfire Supermoon

Senn IE9

Apr 8, 2024 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 50
If you will end up using said headphone on a plane then you will def need a closed back otherwise everyone else around you will hear you rocking out.
I'd add the ZMF Bokeh to your short list.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 50
I've had most of what's on the list and an avid gamer (Destiny 2 as Fightmare). The Sennheiser HD800s is the weapon of choice for gaming, see my profile picture :) It sounds great with a lot of things, here's the standouts I've tried with it:
SMSL DO400
Topping E50/L50
Topping L30 II/E30 II
Topping DX5 and DX7 (haven't tried the DX9 yet but I'm sure it's great)
These are epic, I've built both stacks for customers and they're the most fun I've heard hands down:
SMSL SP400/M400
Topping A70Pro/D70Pro Octo

They're 300 ohm and peak around 511ohm in the bass region, so current from a balanced connector stack is helpful. For single all in one, the DO400 is just so good with the new firmware that came out, no issues at all.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 50
I am looking to pick up a set of audiophile headphones. I want to spend 1500 and I am getting a portable amp like the mojo 2.

Use Case:

Main: Gaming will be my main use of the headphones. I am not competitive so I want something immersive that really brings whatever world I am in to life. I play COD MW2, Fortnite, Baldurs Gate, Ark, American Truck Sim, PalWorld, Call of the Wild Angler, Call of the Wild Hunter.

Secondary: Music, I listen to everything but mostly it will be hard rock, metal, 80s rock, classic rock, country, southern rock, blues, rap, some jazz and classical if studying.

Guitar: I also play guitar and use amplitube through a computer as an amp replacement so if it can also do that well then that is great. I play the same genres I listen to.

Third: Travel – I travel a lot so I will potentially use them on a plane but honestly not a deal breaker. I do have Air Pods Pro Gen 2 if I need to tune people out.

I have looked at so many headphones and just don’t know what to do. I can only buy one pair and can’t go try out any. I use to play guitar and rock live so I am really looking to feel like I live in the music and the same for the video games. I am really open to any suggestions. I don’t mind an IEM, Open Back or Closed back. I am concerned with sound leakage but I typically don’t listen to it too loud in bed when plugged into my Legion Go.

I don’t mind EQ if that is what I have to do. Here is what I have looked at but I have no idea where to start.

HD800s

HD820s (my front runner)

Focal Clear

Focal Bathys

HD660s2

Grados RS1x

DT1990

LCD-X

LCD XC

Campfire Supermoon

Senn IE9
I recommend you add HiFiMan HE1000 Stealth to that list. I've owned and or heard many of the headphones on your list, and I think it might be better than all of them. It's shooting way above it's current price.

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 50
I am thinking the Hip Dac V2 or 3, mojo 2 or gryphon for a portable / desktop solution as an amp. I am really looking to start off and get something that meets most of my needs.

I really wanted to try the woo tube mini but not sure how truly portable it would be if I was laying in bed on my LegionGo.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 50
Hello bertwaffles (and everyone here!)
You have already the AirPods Pro 2, so you have the wireless part covered.
In your case, and your money, and because you are now beginning with hi-end stuff:
I would begin with a set of Mojo 2 driving a pair of Meze Classics.
You don't have to go yet at the height of Senns 800 or 820s.
You have to know they need a decent amp too, they don't match easily from my experience.
But if you like them so much, I think the Mojo would drive them decently.
Not so into their full potential, but if you insist, it's ok.
I would begin with something more sensitive though and enjoy it with every source/amp.
I hope I helped.
Cheers mate!

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 50
Thanks! I will take a look at those. I game more then I do everything else but I truly love music and guitar. I am thinking that this hobby might get me back into it. The only headphones I own now are the ATHM50bt which I like a decent amount. I am just looking for more.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 50
I also looked at the Campfire Supermoon, just not sure if I should go the IEM route. This is such a hard decision.
Buy everything, and live in your boss's pleasure dungeon.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 50

Use Case:

HD800s

HD820s (my front runner)

Focal Clear

Focal Bathys

HD660s2

Grados RS1x

DT1990

LCD-X

LCD XC

Campfire Supermoon

Senn IE9
I'm going to recommend something not on your list. T+A Solitaire T. One of the best wireless headphones out there. Also, they work great wired as well. There's even a used on on good shape in the classifieds (not me.) Also, 70 hours of battery life, noise cancelling, etc. Anyway, that's my pick. Maybe a Beyerdynamic T5 if you want just wired.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 50
I don't mind just wired, I like to play a lot on my laptop or legion go when gaming. I like the idea of the T5. Is it as high quality as they say? It can compete or beat the HD800s or HD820? I love gaming and music but want the best bang for the buck that does it all. I was concerned with the HD800s or HD820 because the music I listen to may not sound like I imagine it.

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 50
I don't mind just wired, I like to play a lot on my laptop or legion go when gaming. I like the idea of the T5. Is it as high quality as they say? It can compete or beat the HD800s or HD820? I love gaming and music but want the best bang for the buck that does it all. I was concerned with the HD800s or HD820 because the music I listen to may not sound like I imagine it.
The soundstage on the 800's are very good and they're good for gaming. Personally, I'm not a huge fan and I prefer the T5 for music by far. I never gamed on them though. Typically gaming headsets are the best for gaming though due to the spatial processors.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 50
I was thinking last night and trying to find a way to put in what I am looking for. Maybe that will help. When it comes to games I love racing games, Ark, Hunting and Fishing games, just overall truck driving and what not. When it comes to music when I am listening to Jazz or Blues I want to hear the feeling in the guitar. I love the tube amp sound from SRV, Walter Trout and others that have that warm crunchy juicy sound. I want to feel like I am standing in front of the amp stack. When it comes to drums I want to hear the separation between the various pieces of kit. For the bass I want to hear and feel that driving bass line.

When I listen to shred metal, shred guitar, 80s rock, metal I want to hear the distortion and the chug chug and everything that makes the music fantastic.

Again, for gaming I want it to be immersive. I am terrible at FPS so hearing a footstep wont make me any more or less terrible. I just want to feel like I am in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back