New Audiophile - Shopping Thread
Apr 10, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #16 of 50
I was thinking last night and trying to find a way to put in what I am looking for. Maybe that will help. When it comes to games I love racing games, Ark, Hunting and Fishing games, just overall truck driving and what not. When it comes to music when I am listening to Jazz or Blues I want to hear the feeling in the guitar. I love the tube amp sound from SRV, Walter Trout and others that have that warm crunchy juicy sound. I want to feel like I am standing in front of the amp stack. When it comes to drums I want to hear the separation between the various pieces of kit. For the bass I want to hear and feel that driving bass line.

When I listen to shred metal, shred guitar, 80s rock, metal I want to hear the distortion and the chug chug and everything that makes the music fantastic.

Again, for gaming I want it to be immersive. I am terrible at FPS so hearing a footstep wont make me any more or less terrible. I just want to feel like I am in the game.
A good set of studio monitors is my favorite way to game, when I don't need a mic.
Sim_Rig_01a.jpg

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #17 of 50
A good set of studio monitors is my favorite way to game, when I don't need a mic.
Sim_Rig_01a.jpg
I would love to do that but I don't have an office, desk or a space outside of a kitchen table and/or the sofa. I think I am looking for a unicorn. Honestly, if I could find a good wired set that gets me 80% of what I want i would be good to go. I still thinking gaming is my #1 with music and guitar a close #2. I don't listen to classical, opera etc.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #18 of 50
I would love to do that but I don't have an office, desk or a space outside of a kitchen table and/or the sofa. I think I am looking for a unicorn. Honestly, if I could find a good wired set that gets me 80% of what I want i would be good to go. I still thinking gaming is my #1 with music and guitar a close #2. I don't listen to classical, opera etc.
A great set of headphones isn't a unicorn. There are plenty to choose from. You're problem isn't a lack of options, it's Option Paralysis. :wink:

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 50
That is certainly the case. I have zero options to go try any on so I am shooting in the dark. If you had to rank the ones I listed what do you think? Or should I get an IEM?
I recommend you not spend too much money on a headphone you may not like, and instead get one of the best budget headphones on the market, and find out where your sonic preferences lay.

Get the HifiMan Sundara or the Senn HD6xx. Spend time with it. Learn what you love about them, and what you don't. Then you'll have a more educated perspective on what upgrade path you should consider.

Apr 10, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #21 of 50
I'm in a blessed position where I can spend many times more on a headphone just for 10-20% improvement. But if my situation were different, and I was "stuck" with just Sundara, there are no tears. That can easily be a one and done headphone. It's so good.

Apr 10, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 50
I really think something with good separation, decent soundstage, rich mids semi open, Ibasso SR-2. As with music being number 2 stick to what you mentioned, the spatial awareness. When it comes to the nitty gritty stuff you probably won't hear the difference between headphones, something that sounds fun I guess. Meze 109 pro too maybe?

Apr 10, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #24 of 50
Considering your usage rankings and your constant travel, getting a Audio Technica ATH-AP2000ti as a closed-back for most of the time and Audeze LCD-i3 as a open-back IEM for more quiet times or times when you really need the airiness in your sound would make an awesome value combo for your personal preferences.

If you do not mind used and can get the ATH-AP2000ti in used-like new condition, then you can also get this portable DAC/Amp for cheap as well:

https://www.adorama.com/ifimidsdf.h...&utm_source=rflaid915373&utm_medium=affiliate

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #25 of 50
Considering your usage rankings and your constant travel, getting a Audio Technica ATH-AP2000ti as a closed-back for most of the time and Audeze LCD-i3 as a open-back IEM for more quiet times or times when you really need the airiness in your sound would make an awesome value combo for your personal preferences.

If you do not mind used and can get the ATH-AP2000ti in used-like new condition, then you can also get this portable DAC/Amp for cheap as well:

https://www.adorama.com/ifimidsdf.h...&utm_source=rflaid915373&utm_medium=affiliate
Wow nice price! Might pull the plug myself

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #28 of 50
If you are worried about sound leakage you really should rule out open back headphones. From headphones, the crunchy guitar you like is really going to annoy anyone in the vicinity, even at what sounds to you like low volume.

Think of that as a good thing -- fewer options to worry about.

I've never heard @dunring's recommended ATH-AP2000ti , but if you Google around for reviews it seems like they match what you want: spaciousness, midrange (guitar) presence. I'm a big fan of the A-T open backs that I have.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #29 of 50
Do you think either of those will meet my needs?
It's not that easy...I don't know how demanding you are :)
HD800S and HD820 are splendid headphones...HD660S2 is worth checking, too.
Another story is John Massaria, he is tuning his headphones at your wishes.
It's best if you ask on the thread directly to John Massaria.
I will order soon his closed back.

I am listening to Monolith 1060C right now...love them.
HE1000 Stealth...great as well...I have plans to get a pair, too.

I love IEMs as well.
I recently bought a Simgot EA2000 ($350), which I am calling a baby Sony IER Z1R.
That good they are to me. :)

But, instead of just asking here and following our recommendation...
do your homework and read threads about what specific sound these headphones bring.
Then you will know more about what exactly you wish...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 50
Honestly, if I could find a good wired set that gets me 80% of what I want i would be good to go. I still thinking gaming is my #1 with music and guitar a close #2. I don't listen to classical, opera etc.
80% of one of those kilobuck 'phones is easy to buy for under $500. The rest of the top-of-the-line price is only that 20% (some say just 10%), fancier materials and hype.

Gaming and music have different needs: boom and sizzle (bass rumble for fun and high frequencies for positioning) for gaming vs. natural timbre and accuracy for music.

I have $350 open-backs (ATH-R70X) and $250 closed-backs (Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X), with amps that were under $100 each (Monolith Liquid Spark and VE Megatron), and that equipment is immersive enough and musical enough for me.

Something else in those price ranges might be ideal for you; there are lots of boosters here for Sennheiser and HiFiMan. (Note that the Sundara recommended above is probably the open one, since the closed Sundara is very different.) I've been to a few CanJams and heard a lot of luxe equipment -- briefly, I'll admit -- but the relatively slight upgrade was never worth the price for me.

Might be worth trying out some mid-price stuff from Amazon, with returns that are free or only the price of shipping, and see how happy it can make you. Don't be wowed by price or looks alone.

EDIT: Though I gotta say: those JM phones are under $800 and look pretty tempting for custom tuning...

https://www.jmaudioeditions.com/shop

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back