Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #17 of 736
Vocals are fine on the Sza. Planar driver rocks minds and let’s vocals shine also. More assertive sound than MK2 . Can be a bit much with enhanced sub bass on some EDM tracks like Master Margherita’s Afro Beats,which btw was recorded in my studio and sampled my cat! But on music with less “artificial bass” vocals are properly balanced. Ajja is stunning as psytrance and blues guitar with vocals is very very nice. I too am considering these a good deal at their price, as Oriolus was clearly kind to fans of their product and did not price them in the TOTL range like they could have. Will begin writing full review next week after they are seasoned over the weekend some more. It’s nice to be surprised at how good an iem is in this price range.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #18 of 736
And what about sub bass ? :)
Sub bass is massive withe AElastic tips. Less with other tips but still clear. With the AElastics approaches Aurisonics territory! Depends on the recording of course… The nozzle is very wide and some tips just won’t fit……it’s a triple bore nozzle with a lip that foils use of some tips.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 736
How about the technicalities (esp. resolution)? The existence of planar driver in the set gave me a higher expectation. If it manages to be warm yet very resolving (and not too dark) then it's a winner to me

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 736
Technicalities are great. As one early reviewer said “rich deep sound” which is also cohesive. Magic synthesis of musicallity and detail with gusto. They do love power however! Planar sounds warmest of any I’ve heard. They are using new technologies if you check the website descriptions of the R and D on Sza.
Quite audible shift in planar tonality!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #21 of 736
Looks like HBB snagged a pair and measured them. Lots of energy up top.

31089b807a28f68f1928e25442e236ac168d465d_2_1380x596.png

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #22 of 736
Yes the treble also stands out but is not irritatingly too bright….nice sparkle….not as relaxed as moonlight, does make you pay attention…Moonlight you can dream with,Sza with more emphatic PRAT takes over your experience in a more dramatic way. It could be just me, but I love this tuning and new driver configuration……
im dancing in my chair with these out of a Trudetto dac and Microzotl tube headphone amplifier…in fact I almost fell out of my chair listening to Ajja…the drums sounded so real….and I do Djimbe drumming! Kinda Lava gives you studio sound, Moonlight gives you live sound, these are hyper real Sound! Scuze me while I kiss the sky!!

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #23 of 736
Listening to some dark but melodic electronic music at the moment, Szalayi is perfect to really present a wonderful, visceral and engaging atmosphere - so captivating and breathtaking!

20220723_140614.jpg

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #24 of 736
The other thing I observe with Szalayi is they really do scream to keep shoving the volume up - like a powerful sports car on an open road, where it demands you push harder on the accelerator... a bigger smile on your face, the more juice you give it.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #25 of 736
Exactly! Turned up my Microzotl tube amp and almost fell out my chair listening to Ajja on Tranchillizer album and other cuts! Hallucinogenic!
Had to fasten my seat belt! Reminds me of when I had an Alfa Romeo Spyder and floored around a curve into a straightaway! Exhulting feeling I only had before with Aurisonics 2.0 but Sza Are much clearer and more detailed….Can’t recommend Earman Tradutto DAC too highly either, punches in at three times what it costs with pure musicality and detail….almost analogue sound…the combo made me start drumming with my hands on my audio desk…I feel possessed by the music! It’s dawn here and I haven’t even had any coffee yet or other enhancements!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 736
What device is that that has a decibel meter?? And what artist? Thanks!

Its the Shanling M9 - paired with Szalayi, I'm bringing it up to high gain. The app is the stock Shanling app.

Artist is Arovane, one of his earlier albums -

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #29 of 736
Thank you, Charlyro222, for starting this thread. I especially appreciate the specs you posted on the first page.
Like the rest of you folks, my Szalayi is breaking in. I'm using Tidal, my Mac Mini and the great RU6. Should be done next Saturday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back