Oriolus Szalayi IEM discussion thread
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #33 of 736
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #34 of 736
Got my pair in yesterday. Very much enjoying them. Real test will be when I bring them to work on Monday and see how they hold up in my ears to longer listening sessions. They are kind of large. Sound is really really enjoyable though.

What eartips is everyone using with them. So far I have actually found a use for my spinfit cp155 tips, but wanted to see if others found more enjoyment or better fit with others that I might need to try.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #35 of 736
Got my pair in yesterday. Very much enjoying them. Real test will be when I bring them to work on Monday and see how they hold up in my ears to longer listening sessions. They are kind of large. Sound is really really enjoyable though.
Anything you specifically like/dislike?
Do they stick out from your ears too much (Dioko is terrible)?

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #36 of 736
Anything you specifically like/dislike?
Do they stick out from your ears too much (Dioko is terrible)?
Like or dislike in terms of... sound, fit, something else?

Fit, I worry about comfort. My ears dont usually get along with larger IEMs. The larger they are, the more chance of more points of contact with my ear in different spots, and often if they dont sit just right, they cause pressure and discomfort. So far so good, I think the material and that there are no even remotely hard or sharp edges is helping. But I need way more time with them to see. They do stick out a little bit, but thats not really much of a worry to me. They are fairly large, which makes sense given that theres a 10mm DD and a 14mm planar in there, not to mention an extra BA. Those are not small drivers for an IEM.

Sound wise... Pretty much all positive so far for me. Bass is wonderfully deep and elevated, but does not feel like it bleeds into the mids at all. Mids could likely be a little more lush and full, but I imagine thats probably the trade off for not having big mushy bass. Treble is maybe slightly elevated for my personal preferences, but its not overly sharp or harsh, so it really just comes off as having a nice little bit of air instead of anything unpleasant.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #38 of 736

What eartips is everyone using with them. So far I have actually found a use for my spinfit cp155 tips, but wanted to see if others found more enjoyment or better fit with others that I might need to try.
I’m using AElastics ML. They have great bass great with better seal unless its overdubbed synthetic sub bass like in some Electronic music where it becomes boomy. Got someof the new Spinfit W2 tips with a longer tube but they won’t fit over the large nozzle They worked great however on the Kinda Lava and improved their sound.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #40 of 736
I left mine on Burn in on Friday and this afternoon will see hows going, but sorry, my first impressions was no good.
Not liking its mids, and this is a problem with my library.
I'll keep you updated on second listening after 48h burn in.

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #42 of 736
Hi guys.Thanks for sharing your impressions. Scuba Devils, and claud W:
I see you have experience with Sony m9.I am considering buying M9,but worried that they may be emotionless and too boring) I want to ask you to do a comparison between Szalayi.Especially interested in how the fit,vocals and sound stage and visualization compare.Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #43 of 736
I left mine on Burn in on Friday and this afternoon will see hows going, but sorry, my first impressions was no good.
Not liking its mids, and this is a problem with my library.
I'll keep you updated on second listening after 48h burn in.
I'm interested as well. I have a high expectation for the mids because of the planar driver

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #44 of 736
I wonder.. can this IEM be considered as dark?
I haven't tried it, so I couldn't tell you what it sounds like.
From the graph it doesn't look dark, it has a lot of energy between 2 and 8 kHz, compared to the bass energy.
But that gap between 8 and 12 kHz worries me because I'm a treble lover, and I don't like that energy being lost in the cymbals area.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #45 of 736
How’s the timbre of the Szalayi?

Any further comparisons with the likes of Mk2, Moonlight or perhaps even Vortex also appreciated.
I love the timbre of the Sza. Seems more authentic than Moonlight. PRAT is just right on. Drums are spectacular and deep, voices human, it did get much fined with burn in after 60 hours ! Hard to stop listening but it’s 3 AM and I should get some sleep. Even called Bali to to talk to Soma Shamanoid my producer friend about these and the new Meta Myth shamanic dance project by Avery Runner on new label. Ishtar Records. Check it out!! Magic music! Over and out! PS I still adore Moonlight, but Sza is seducing me with timbre and PRAT and organic sound and just explodes with more power!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back