Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #31 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There should be a theme song for this....

Hah Hah Hah

Money money money moneyyy

Everybody's got a price

Everybody's gonna pay

'Cause the Million Dollar Man

Always gets his way

Money money money money

Some might cost a little

Some might cost a lot

But I'm the million dollar man

And you WILL be bought *hah hah ha ha*

Money money money money money

Money money money money

... yeah, that's it
icon10.gif

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #32 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the $150 million has been confirmed.

was it ever denied?

how much did sony pay disney and company to gloat about how the "war" is already over and blueray is the most amazing thing EVAR etc

on a website composed mostly by "audio"-centric people you would think HD-DVD would have more support, since it REQUIRES that "HD-DVD" players have Dolby True-HD audio, blueray does not... HD-DVD also requires that all players have an ethernet port for extended contect and firmware updates, blueray (again) does not... the list goes on...

they both suck IMHO since their "copy protection" is more of a burden on people that actually want to be legal than those that dont (both HD-DVD and BlueRay's "uncrackable" protection has already been circumvented) but quite frankly HD-DVD is the lesser of the two evils... and personally i think DVD's are good enough 99% of the time anyway

Aug 21, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #34 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody understands until they come see my 60" SXRD in action
wink.gif

Nice television choice my friend. I own a 50" myself. I believe TKAM up there owns one as well IIRC, along with a couple other head-fi'ers that I know - very popular.

Edit: OT, but as anyone see a complete (player to display) HDMI 1.3 set-up in action yet? Please pm me with detailed impressions along with performance analysis. I would be very interested.
wink.gif
(seriously though)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #35 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on a website composed mostly by "audio"-centric people you would think HD-DVD would have more support, since it REQUIRES that "HD-DVD" players have Dolby True-HD audio, blueray does not... HD-DVD also requires that all players have an ethernet port for extended contect and firmware updates, blueray (again) does not... the list goes on...

they both suck IMHO since their "copy protection" is more of a burden on people that actually want to be legal than those that dont (both HD-DVD and BlueRay's "uncrackable" protection has already been circumvented) but quite frankly HD-DVD is the lesser of the two evils... and personally i think DVD's are good enough 99% of the time anyway

The problem is most of us are computer-centric people too, and the data storage aspects of HD-DVD right now are still almost entirely vaporware.

Rewritable Blu-ray (BD-RE) drives for computers are out now and store 50GB. The rewritable HD-DVD standard (HD DVD-RAM) hasn't even been finished yet, and it will only store 20GB when it is finalized. The dual layer version of that standard is still completely undecided. Recordable but non-rewritable HD-DVDs only store 15GB.

15GB versus 50GB for computer/data storage applications is a huge difference. It would be a shame if Blu-ray didn't win there. Of course, there isn't a huge difference for video applications, and HD-DVD will always be cheaper because the red laser is cheaper. It would be an awkward situation if Blu-ray won for computer applications and lost for home video applications.

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 113
Quote:

Sounds like you need to get yourself a nice HD set!

I have a nice LG LCD HDTV... my marantz SR-7001 does an awesome job of upconverting
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is most of us are computer-centric people too, and the data storage aspects of HD-DVD right now are still almost entirely vaporware.

Rewritable Blu-ray (BD-RE) drives for computers are out now and store 50GB. The rewritable HD-DVD standard (HD DVD-RAM) hasn't even been finished yet, and it will only store 20GB when it is finalized. The dual layer version of that standard is still completely undecided. Recordable but non-rewritable HD-DVDs only store 15GB.

15GB versus 50GB for computer/data storage applications is a huge difference. It would be a shame if Blu-ray didn't win there. Of course, there isn't a huge difference for video applications, and HD-DVD will always be cheaper because the red laser is cheaper. It would be an awkward situation if Blu-ray won for computer applications and lost for home video applications.

trust me, i am very much a computer-centric person, and as such, i have a huge amount of storage... 50gb is laughable and pretty worthless to me personally considering my storage server has an 8.2Tb array for my movies and a 2.2tb array for FLAC... that would take 165 50gb BR disks to backup just the video array... not very useful...

Aug 21, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #37 of 113
Quote:

trust me, i am very much a computer-centric person, and as such, i have a huge amount of storage... 50gb is laughable and pretty worthless to me personally considering my storage server has an 8.2Tb array for my movies and a 2.2tb array for FLAC... that would take 165 50gb BR disks to backup just the video array... not very useful...

50 GB may be laughable to you, but 15 GB is even more laughable. Removable storage is always an order of magnitude smaller than hard disk storage, but Blu-ray is significantly better in that respect. And Blu-ray is available now. The 20 GB capacity of HD DVD-RAM is going to look even more antiquated when the standard is finished and the first drives start coming out in a year or so.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #38 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
rs1smile.gif

Sad thing is, I was laughing when I posted it. Ahh, the memories...

I really hope that BluRay wins for one reason, capacity. This in spite of the fact that I LOATHE Sony. Both will have crazy DRM. Both will feature 1920x1080. I care about capacity, because there will be more chances to have hi-def soundtracks and less video compression. I hope it is a quick fight, because I am waiting to see who wins... and I bet a lot of people are like me. I do not have money to waste because the movie studios are taking kickbacks to release on one or the other format. They are really shooting themselves in the foot; taking what would be a great advance in home theater and music fidelity and totally crapping on it.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

I have a nice LG LCD HDTV... my marantz SR-7001 does an awesome job of upconverting
wink.gif

You can upconvert all day long until the cows come home, there's no substitute for a 1920x1080 native source.

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #40 of 113
This is another obvious reason why Blu-Ray should win the battle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #41 of 113
Quote:

You can upconvert all day long until the cows come home, there's no substitute for a 1920x1080 native source.

Absolutely right!

Aug 21, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #42 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the movie studios are taking kickbacks to release on one or the other format. They are really shooting themselves in the foot; taking what would be a great advance in home theater and music fidelity and totally crapping on it.

Boy that sure is true. The problem is that even though the studio and JVC couldn't care less about the welfare of the consumer, this bribery action probably will not create any negative consequences for the studio or JVC.
Sony isn't any better, so I'm not just throwing rocks at Paramount and JVC.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #43 of 113
Strangely it seems like it's only a short term solution -- it's like they get a big check waved in front of them and are gambling that it will make up for lost sales/investment into the format.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #44 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strangely it seems like it's only a short term solution -- it's like they get a big check waved in front of them and are gambling that it will make up for lost sales/investment into the format.

Not only that, but it's probably penny-wise, pound-foolish. Continued uncertainty over the format war slows consumer adoption and purchases of both formats. Grab the kickback, lose broader sales for both formats.

The studios would be making money hand over fist right now selling titles if they had only agreed on a single format years ago instead of this ridiculous format war.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #45 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is another obvious reason why Blu-Ray should win the battle.

I don't own any formats, yet. But I like the way Toshiba's handling things over cheaper production costs and acquiring competitive movie titles. Their only weakness is the storage and that's the only thing BR fans go after HD-DVD, but just because BR has more capacity doesn't mean it should win. On dual-layerd HD-DVD, you can store up to 8 hours of all high-def contents. Now, that's more than enough for any studios to put their stuffs in. If they run out of 30G, they can simply throw in an extra disc. Now, that's too much. So, the storage theory doesn't make it disputable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back