Paramount drops BluRay, adopts HD-DVD
Aug 21, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #16 of 113
Both formats will NOT die. The HD consumers desire for HD content is too strong. And since I have HD-DVD right now, and HD-DVD keeps pricing better and better, any news for HD-DVD is good news.

BluRay is a bit silly in cost still, and the dedicated BluRay players are still mediocre at best. I was very close to buying BluRay myself, but the cheapest player at the time was a PS3 and I would get NO movies if I spent all my money on it. HD-DVD, half the price of the PS3 at the time, 5 free movies, and the extra cash went towards movies. Plus I don't have to use a loud and hot console to watch movies.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #17 of 113
HD DVD and Blu-Ray are both doomed, as many here have mentioned. DVD is ubiquitous and for most people, myself included, is good enough. The ridiculous rivalry between the two will kill them both just as the rivalry between DVD-A and SACD effectively killed both those formats off. I think on-demand video like Netflix and Comcast On-Demand are far more serious competitors to DVD than Blu-Ray or HD DVD can ever hope to be since they provide a truly revolutionary way to watch movies at home, rather than just an evolutionary way like the video quality increases in the HD movie discs.

Aug 21, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #18 of 113
I agree more with redo, no matter what one of these formats will survive, I dont know if both will and I dont know which one will either. While I understand the point of view that it just costs so much people dont want to bother with either one especially since they are competing, I think eventually costs are gonna come down to a point where they will embrace it, its just a matter of time especially as 1080p TVs become more common. I thought hd-dvd was slowly losing but I dont know well just have to see.

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #19 of 113
personally, i won't wait until it happens. ive only recently begun ripping my dvd to mpeg4 or something similar to watch on my computer. i think by the time i adopt an hd format, there will be the next new thing on the horizon. cheers to the winners (but i hope bd does come out on top)

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #20 of 113
I think comments that both formats are doomed is asute. However, this comment is right on the money:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both formats will NOT die. The HD consumers desire for HD content is too strong. And since I have HD-DVD right now, and HD-DVD keeps pricing better and better, any news for HD-DVD is good news.

Watching HD TV is great and I don't think my family or several of our friends will ever go back (they're old and like their HD golf). I was watching a couple of DVDs on my Dad's HDTV setup; there was friggn grain in the picture! Those sets are ruthless! As of right now there is massive global demand for HDTVs therefore I would expect one format to win. I wouldn't bet on which at this point.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 113
Can someone explain something to me? Admittedly I have not followed this thing very closely, but who stands to benefit from one standard beating the other? That is to say, who gains financially when HD-DVD becomes the format of choice or Blu-Ray does? It all sounds so silly ... are the rips on licensing fees really that insane? I wonder if anyone is truly making any money yet.

This really is starting to look like SACD v. DVD-A. Still no winner there, eh, and over 10 years in.

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #23 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This really is starting to look like SACD v. DVD-A. Still no winner there, eh, and over 10 years in.

SACD and DVD-A was the opposite trend. MP3's and portable was the audio trend. Hardly anybody sits around listening to music for enjoyment anymore. Especially not in a correctly setup environment with expensive equipment to make the SACD/DVD-A standards shine. With hundreds of CD's being able to fit on a small device, and with 95% of people listening to music on the go or through their computer speakers, SACD/DVD-A didn't stand a chance to hit the mainstream.

However, mobile video is a novel entertainment at best. People aren't getting smaller, more portable TV's. They have been sort of "neat, but what good is it?" for 2 decades now.

But big HDTV's are the future trend, and HD content is out-of-this world stunning. People love to watch football games in HD, movies in HD, girls in bikinis in HD, news in HD, everything must be in HD once you get a taste of the purity. Even a non-purist can see a 50" Plasma being feed a pristine HD signal and KNOW they have to have one! They save up, spring the extra dough, set it up, start to drool, then plug in their cable line and look at washed out SD signals.

What do they really want? HD content!!! Once HD players are as cheap as DVD players, the HD releases are going to be coming out in masses. Hell, nearly every new release can be found on a HD format. The long process of back cataloging all the old titles to HD is what the bottleneck will be for a few years.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #25 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope both formats aren't doomed.

Me too. I love watching HD-DVD's. The only reason I've been rooting for Blu-Ray (a format I don't own) is because it appeared to be in the best position to end the war and get to the real business of winning mass adoption. Then we would get more high rez audio discs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
What do they really want? HD content!!!

Heck yes I do! I hope you're right. But part of me thinks that "people" view DVD as high def. Really, outside of tech forums like this one, do you get a sense of either media gaining some public perception foothold?

I don't. When DVD dropped, I remember everyone talking about it. With these two latest, I don't get that buzz outside my tech buddies, and it's surprisingly lukewarm among them.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't. When DVD dropped, I remember everyone talking about it. With these two latest, I don't get that buzz outside my tech buddies, and it's surprisingly lukewarm among them.

Nobody understands until they come see my 60" SXRD in action
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 113
It would be better if one format wins in the end but for now I have no problem supporting both formats.

Also according to nytimes paramount/dreamworks are getting $150 million in incentives for going hd-dvd exclusive
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 113
When I worked in Walmart and HD was still very new we setup an HD LCD TV with the streaming Walmart HD channel. It actually got a few customers (not shopping for HD) to stop in their tracks and do a double head turn. For a split second they thought it was a window. HD is here to stay.

This format war is unlike any other. For the first time movie studios, stores, producers, etc. are influencing it. If this keeps up you might one day go to buy a movie only to find out that: the movie you want is only available on a certain format you don't own and only sold in a certain store you don't shop at and only available in a certain state you don't live in sold on a certain day of the week you work on.

Aug 21, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #29 of 113
if toshiba really knows that they are going to have their $99 players for x-mas paying $150mil for extra content for that extra push... would be a good investment for them

Aug 21, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #30 of 113
So the $150 million has been confirmed.

Quote:

But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but who asked not to be identified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back