Post your computer specs!~
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #3,046 of 3,094
The am5 doesn't heat up anywhere near as bad as 1700 platform. Temps never come close to 100 and its progressive, doesn't immediately shoot up to 100 like with intel.
Depends on the CPU.
For example, the 7950X, and the 7900X when released were 280W with a 100C temp limit, which was likely due to trying to stay on top of the charts against Intel.
However, the 7800X, 7700X, 7800X3D, 7900X3D, and 7950X3D are spec'd to operate at much much lower wattage, and will peak at 90C or less. It's essentially an undervolted version of the first releases, but at stock.
The 7700X and 7800X have always had a lower wattage output compared to the 7900X and 7950X.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #3,047 of 3,094
5700X is so efficient even the smallest noctua keeps it cool. Li9

Dec 17, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #3,048 of 3,094
I'm just waiting for that 32" 4k OLED 240 hz panel coming out next year, I probably won't be able to afford it until it goes on sale a year later but that's the one main thing I'm focused on - I'm pretty satisfied with my keyboard and audio setup now, and although my IPS panel is great OLED is always something else.

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #3,049 of 3,094
Depends on the CPU.
For example, the 7950X, and the 7900X when released were 280W with a 100C temp limit, which was likely due to trying to stay on top of the charts against Intel.
However, the 7800X, 7700X, 7800X3D, 7900X3D, and 7950X3D are spec'd to operate at much much lower wattage, and will peak at 90C or less. It's essentially an undervolted version of the first releases, but at stock.
The 7700X and 7800X have always had a lower wattage output compared to the 7900X and 7950X.
Well it seems like once the paste settles in, the temps drop a little bit.

Takes a few days and some run time but operating temps at 100% cpu usage did drop about 10-15 degrees.

Dec 21, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #3,050 of 3,094
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #3,051 of 3,094
https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...en-process-nodes-could-cost-dollar400-million

Looks like Intel gets the first one off the line.

These new high na euv lithography systems will bring in the new era of sub 2nm process nodes.

Intel is probably gonna take back their crown in the next few years.
We will see CPUs at 10Ghz 750watts? 🤣 🤣
1703195538584.png

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #3,052 of 3,094
We will see CPUs at 10Ghz 750watts? 🤣 🤣
1703195538584.png
Lol we may see 10ghz clock speeds but they will be more efficient with the smaller the process. Won't use nearly as much power.

With everything else being the same, the smaller process will yield better power efficiency and less heat.

Dec 21, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #3,053 of 3,094
Lol we may see 10ghz clock speeds but they will be more efficient with the smaller the process. Won't use nearly as much power.

With everything else being the same, the smaller process will yield better power efficiency and less heat.
Who ever takes the cake, they should make sure to eat the PCH part real good and add some room for other useful technologies.

North bridge was a thing. It dissapeared into the CPU. We need the south bridge to go. I don´t need more speed.

It is an interesting time to experience. Coming from and old Intel 486 I feel too spoiled to say all this.

Dec 21, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #3,054 of 3,094
Who ever takes the cake, they should make sure to eat the PCH part real good and add some room for other useful technologies.

North bridge was a thing. It dissapeared into the CPU. We need the south bridge to go. I don´t need more speed.

It is an interesting time to experience. Coming from and old Intel 486 I feel too spoiled to say all this.
My first pc was a 486dx @50megahertz, 120mb hdd, 4mb of ram. It cost me $2k in the early 90s.

South bridge controls most of the slower speed stuff like older pci slots, usb, audio, bios and legacy devices. Unfortunately, I dont think they'll ever be able to completely get rid of it.

I know that within the past 10 years they've been putting in alot of research into precision time protocol though the Time Senstive Networking standards, its now called audio video bridging because the time protocols are directly related to audio and video performance.

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #3,055 of 3,094
9E577A4D-A699-43F7-84F4-1A6B08F74A4C.jpeg

These card are awaiting to come back in. They have a specific purpose. I have a build in mind, I just need a couple of things to complete it next year.

Dec 24, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #3,056 of 3,094
Any of yall had a system fan go bad? I have an exhaust fan that randomly slows spinning (probably not spinning and the cpu fan air is making it spin a little) and makes whining sound, probably the bearing. It's likely the fan is bad right? Nothing else it could be? God I hate this pre-build, running into all kinds of issues.

Since it's powered through Mobo, I'm starting think my mobo has issues. I still get random shut down, black screens, etc..

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #3,058 of 3,094
Any of yall had a system fan go bad? I have an exhaust fan that randomly slows spinning (probably not spinning and the cpu fan air is making it spin a little) and makes whining sound, probably the bearing. It's likely the fan is bad right? Nothing else it could be? God I hate this pre-build, running into all kinds of issues.

Since it's powered through Mobo, I'm starting think my mobo has issues. I still get random shut down, black screens, etc..
An update:

I believe the bad exhaust fan replacement fixed my issue. Holy crap, this random blackscreen issue was a real rollercoaster ride ever since I got my MSI prebuilt.

Lesson learned is that, whatever the event viewer in Windows tells you isn't exactly the issue, but something underlying that is causing the error messages in the event viewer. Or maybe the error message is not even related to any issues at all.

I've clean re-installed Nvidia gpu drivers, replaced the thermal past and cpu cooler, and that didn't get rid of the issue.

At some point I found out that at random times, my exhaust fan wasn't spinning when I started up my PC, and my symptoms earlier on was that the pc would go random blackscreen mainly at the point right after pc has started.

So, it does make sense that if the exhaust fan isn't pulling out hot air, the gpu would eventually overheat, especially given it's next to the cpu fan that exhausts heat. This is an obvious issue if you use fan instead of AIO on the cpu. I use a cpu fan so the hot air needs to be exhausted.

I get a feeling this time it is fixed because newest GPU driver would cause frequent blackscreens, and after this exhaust fan replacement, the newest gpu driver doesn't cause black screen. PCs.. I tell ya... lol

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #3,059 of 3,094
An update:

I believe the bad exhaust fan replacement fixed my issue. Holy crap, this random blackscreen issue was a real rollercoaster ride ever since I got my MSI prebuilt.

Lesson learned is that, whatever the event viewer in Windows tells you isn't exactly the issue, but something underlying that is causing the error messages in the event viewer. Or maybe the error message is not even related to any issues at all.

I've clean re-installed Nvidia gpu drivers, replace the thermal past and cpu cooler, and that didn't get rid of the issue.

At some point I found out my exhaust from wasn't spinning when I started up my PC, and my symptoms earlier on was that the pc would go random blackscreen mainly at the point right after pc has started.

So, it does make sense that if the exhaust fan isn't pulling out hot air, the gpu would eventually overheat, especially given it's next to the cpu fan that exhausts heat. This is an obvious issue if you use fan instead of AIO on the cpu. I use a cpu fan so the hot air needs to be exhausted.

I get a feeling this time it is fixed because newest GPU driver would cause frequent blackscreens, and after this exhaust fan replacement, the newest gpu driver doesn't cause black screen. PCs.. I tell ya... lol
You dont monitor the temps at all?

Jan 10, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #3,060 of 3,094
You dont monitor the temps at all?
I do, and I didn't see high temps with GPU and CPU at low load, but oddly with exhaust fan replacement, it's fixed. such a crazy situation. I'm not entirely sure what happened here. But, it's related to the exhaust fan I think. Because it's not happening now with the fan replacement.

Also, at low load, CPU doesn't release a lot of heat, so it didn't make sense why it would random blackscreen during those those times.

What was really odd is that, at low load, I would get random blackscreens. Like I said, it mainly happened a bit after fresh boots, after PC was shut off over night. But there were random times it happened while gaming at higher loads (this occurred with later drivers, so when I rolled back, it wouldn't happen). Now with the fan replacement, doensn't matter what driver I use, I haven't had blackscreen on low load or high load while gaming. crossing my fingers it will never happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back