Post your computer specs!~
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,031 of 3,098
You don't use XMP? I would try the XMP and run stability

You are missing out on the shorter CAS latency and the higher clock
Oh yeah tell me what I am missing out of :)

Spoiler I have been overclocking for fun as a sport just to break my own records for years. I think I would not try the XMP anymore(I know all the benefits from this experience). I want to use my computer as intended. Overclocking has been anounced on a death row since Nvidia introduced GPU boost and now AMD GPO.

Overclocking is just for the sport now days.

Oh I can get 4 fps more in 4K gaming?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,032 of 3,098
Oh yeah tell me what I am missing out of :)

Spoiler I have been overclocking for fun as a sport just to break my own records for years. I think I would not try the XMP anymore(I know all the benefits from this experience). I want to use my computer as intended. Overclocking has been anounced on a death row since Nvidia introduced GPU boost and now AMD GPO.

Overclocking is just for the sport now days.

Oh I can get 4 fps more in 4K gaming?
I'm just sayin, you paid for the ram, so might as will run it to it's capability for what you paid for. That's all I'm sayin sir. lol Also, sayin to run stability tests, if concerned about stability. Revert back if it's unstable. You'd get more fps, not sure by how much. Would have to run bench to know. It won't be huge like gettin a new vid card.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,033 of 3,098
I'm just sayin, you paid for the ram, so might as will run it to it's capability for what you paid for. That's all I'm sayin sir. lol Also, sayin to run stability tests, if concerned about stability. Revert back if it's unstable. You'd get more fps, not sure by how much. Would have to run bench to know. It won't be huge like gettin a new vid card.
No worries. I like my system cold fast and stable. I like 1.2V instead of 1.35V. Why increase the CPU 10degrees for worthles performance :sweat_smile: :beerchug:

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #3,034 of 3,098
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the ram, I tested all of them and all the sockets individually to make sure. I think the issue is the crappy bundled ram. The timings are already maxxed out from the factory. Being the same size, I read that using 4 dimms instead of 2 is faster so I wanted to test it out.

The ram speed makes a noticeable difference but its a pain to OC ram, kills the life, increases heat and becomes unstable.

I don't like messing with it because if you over do it and it wont boot, you have to remove the CMOS battery to reset the bios to default settings, not worth it imo.

I prefer stable and cool as well.

Ok its finally done, man I really hate these led fans. Decided to just get 6 of the lian li uni infinity fans to make it easier for myself.

i9-14900k
32gb DDR5 6000 ram
MSI Mag z790 tomahawk
arctic freezer 360mm
asus rtx 4070
maingear 1200w platinum ps
lian li 011 dynamic evo case

Capture.PNG

Dec 10, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #3,035 of 3,098
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the ram, I tested all of them and all the sockets individually to make sure. I think the issue is the crappy bundled ram. The timings are already maxxed out from the factory. Being the same size, I read that using 4 dimms instead of 2 is faster so I wanted to test it out.

The ram speed makes a noticeable difference but its a pain to OC ram, kills the life, increases heat and becomes unstable.

I don't like messing with it because if you over do it and it wont boot, you have to remove the CMOS battery to reset the bios to default settings, not worth it imo.

I prefer stable and cool as well.

Ok its finally done, man I really hate these led fans. Decided to just get 6 of the lian li uni infinity fans to make it easier for myself.

i9-14900k
32gb DDR5 6000 ram
MSI Mag z790 tomahawk
arctic freezer 360mm
asus rtx 4070
maingear 1200w platinum ps
lian li 011 dynamic evo case

Capture.PNG

Looks sweet! and I agree regarding ram. They are always the first thing I blame cause they are very close to the CPU. iLL logic but RAM are crucial.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #3,036 of 3,098
Looks sweet! and I agree regarding ram. They are always the first thing I blame cause they are very close to the CPU. iLL logic but RAM are crucial.
My god, the amount of heat this generates is insane.

Like a heat tornado coming out of it. Airflow is definitely really good on this case.

Dec 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #3,037 of 3,098
My god, the amount of heat this generates is insane.

Like a heat tornado coming out of it. Airflow is definitely really good on this case.
Exactly

Dec 10, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #3,038 of 3,098
Was running benchmarks on it, is it normal for these things to jump up to 100 degrees C?

It just jumps up there and stays there at 100% cpu load. idle is about 27-35.

CPU power draw is pretty insane, hit 301.95w.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #3,039 of 3,098
Its an i9-14900k, 4x 16gb ddr5 6000 ram.

Is there some kind of limitation with that speed ram?
OK, the AMD 7000-series CPUs have less efficient RAM capability than Intel's 12th-14th gen. It's the CPU RAM controllers this gen of CPUs are the issue. Maybe next-gen will handle it better, IDK.
Intel is more efficient, but if you want to use the super-fast RAM (ie 6800, or 7200), then only use two of them. All four will be much less likely to perform at its highest rated settings (when going above DDR5/6000). Also, the bigger the RAM stick in size, the more likely it will lose stability at higher speeds. 4x 8GB DDR5/6000 sticks usually have more chance of working compared to 4x 32GB @ 6000.
However, I think DDR5/6000 with four sticks in place on an Intel has a better chance at performing at, or near full speed. I would start with ONE DIMM, in bay A1 or B1. Make sure everything works.
Then, I would add the second DIMM. Ensure that everything works, with no overclocking (so it will likely be running at 3400MHz or so). Finally, put in the other 2 DIMMs and see if you boot. Check for stability.
Once that is going smoothly, I would remove 2 of the DIMMs. Next:
Go to XMP profile settings in the EUFI/BIOS, and enable XMP. If the DDR5 is XMP, not EXPO, it should automatically enable the profile of the RAM at its rated 6000MHz speed. Try profile XMP1, then if that's kinda unstable, try XMP2. Note: Even DDR5 with Expo can still work with XMP, but a little more tweaking might be required, it's a crap shoot. Check to see if those 2 sticks of RAM work with XMP enabled.
If it does work, then go BACK to regular/slow speed, add the other two sticks of RAM.
Try it with base clock speed. Then, enable XMP and see what happens.
If it breaks again:
Revert back to no XMP, and set the RAM to run at 5400MHz in the BIOS overclocking section, and see if it works. Incrementally increase or decrease RAM speed until you find the "sweet spot" where it's stable, running as well as that RAM can work for that PC.

For example, I have 4 sticks of DDR4/4000 RAM, but it runs stable only up to 3600MHz when it was in one of my computers. Runs fine at 4000 in the MSI 13700k.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #3,040 of 3,098
Was running benchmarks on it, is it normal for these things to jump up to 100 degrees C?

It just jumps up there and stays there at 100% cpu load. idle is about 27-35.

CPU power draw is pretty insane, hit 301.95w.
100C is the "normal" performance temp for the new Intel CPUs. They're overclocking the hell out of them to eke out as much performance as possible (to beat AMD by 1% or whatever). That's why they recommend mega-coolers. Once the temp hits 100C at whatever speed it's running at, then it throttles/maintains that speed. So a mega-cooler could have the cores running at 5.7GHz, vs a cheaper cooler throttling out at 5.2GHz (an example, not real world numbers).
CPU power draw at peak for the 14900k is 294-310W, IIRC, so seems like you're within spec.

Very very slight undervoltage will push that temp limit down to 85-90C, with a few hundred MHz less speed, and power draw can be reduced to 220W, with around 94% performance. I guess you could Google "reduce voltage 14900k settings" if you're really interested in more details.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #3,041 of 3,098
100C is the "normal" performance temp for the new Intel CPUs. They're overclocking the hell out of them to eke out as much performance as possible (to beat AMD by 1% or whatever). That's why they recommend mega-coolers. Once the temp hits 100C at whatever speed it's running at, then it throttles/maintains that speed. So a mega-cooler could have the cores running at 5.7GHz, vs a cheaper cooler throttling out at 5.2GHz (an example, not real world numbers).
CPU power draw at peak for the 14900k is 294-310W, IIRC, so seems like you're within spec.

Very very slight undervoltage will push that temp limit down to 85-90C, with a few hundred MHz less speed, and power draw can be reduced to 220W, with around 94% performance. I guess you could Google "reduce voltage 14900k settings" if you're really interested in more details.
That sucks, I should have done more research prior.

They're much less efficient than amds as well. Its fine most of the time like browsing the internet or watching videos but running a cpu intensitve game, it literally generates more heat than my tube amp and class A amp combined. I was shocked at how much heat it was venting.

I've had alot more experience with amd builds so I'm not used to how these intel chips run. I'll have to keep the undervolting thing in mind if theres issues later.

I gave up on the ram and just returned it additional 2 dimms I bought. Must be an intel thing. With amd the quad channel setup is supposed to yield better performance than 2.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #3,042 of 3,098
That sucks, I should have done more research prior.

They're much less efficient than amds as well. Its fine most of the time like browsing the internet or watching videos but running a cpu intensitve game, it literally generates more heat than my tube amp and class A amp combined. I was shocked at how much heat it was venting.

I've had alot more experience with amd builds so I'm not used to how these intel chips run. I'll have to keep the undervolting thing in mind if theres issues later.

I gave up on the ram and just returned it additional 2 dimms I bought. Must be an intel thing. With amd the quad channel setup is supposed to yield better performance than 2.
one reason Im still on 5000 series as AM5 likes being at 90degrees

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3,043 of 3,098
one reason Im still on 5000 series as AM5 likes being at 90degrees
The am5 doesn't heat up anywhere near as bad as 1700 platform. Temps never come close to 100 and its progressive, doesn't immediately shoot up to 100 like with intel.

I built quite a few of those as well. Theres alot of software glitches with the am5 platform though, slowly they're being fixed with each bios update.

I built a couple the first month it came out and there were some weird issues like the windows driver would override the on board graphics and disable multiple monitor output.

I guess its expected with any new platform like am5 / 1700, tech has been advancing quite fast within the past few years and manufactureres seem to have trouble keeping up in implementing the tech along with the new platforms as well as updated generational standards like pcie, ddr5, etc.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #3,044 of 3,098
This just goes to show how important the nm size process is.

Intel is behind and its showing, they're still on 10nm while amd is on 7nm. The smaller process, yields more efficiency, higher speed capability, reduced heat and power consumption.

Intel's roadmap in 2019 planned for a 3nm process by 2025, thats 1 year away and they're still on 10.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,045 of 3,098
Hello
Mine :
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, 8x 3.40GHz
RADEON RX 6950 XT NITRO+ GAMING OC 16 GB (Sapphire)
Deepcool Gammaxx C40
Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus WIFI II
32GB DDR4-RAM 3200MHz Kingston FURY Beast
1000GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD Kingston NV2
ATX Kolink Stronghold Midi-Tower
850 Watt BoostBoxx Power Boost
Soundcard PCIe Creative SoundBlasterAudigy FX

Playing the game of solitaire has never been so comfortable! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back