PS1000 vs Ultrasone 10 COMPARE
Nov 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #16 of 40
too much is relative.
for example to T1 its NOT worth the premium price.

Top 3 dynamic cans in the world : (no order)
LCD-3
PS1000
R10

cheapest from the three: PS1000
...so very good value

actually its a steal for the price
Grado Love 4ever

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #20 of 40
good joke
blink.gif

Quote:
too much is relative.
for example to T1 its worth the premium price.

LCD-3
PS1000
R10

...so very good value

Grado Love 4ever

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:
well, your opinion is as respected as mine
the ps-1000 cost too much money. have the same gimbals and the headband equal to the sr-60(for example).
and big problems

I agree that Grado's using the same headband and materials as their cheapest headphones is questionable, but what "big problems" are you referring to specifically? The only issues I'm aware of are variations in sound among the earliest models, as well as cosmetic issues with the earlier pre-chrome earcups.

The PS1000 is by no means the only "TOTL" headphone with problems. The Edition 10 for instance was released with a manufacturer's defect in the earpads that screwed up the sound signature even more than it already was. And if the PS1000 costs too much, where does that leave the Edition 10? Furthermore, I'd argue that the measurements for the Edition 10 qualify as a bigger problem than anything wrong with the PS1000.

The LCD-2 had its fair share of issues too. The blocks that labeled the channels developed cracks in a lot of units, including my own. I had to wait several months for new blocks to be sent, and then another month afterward because the correct sized screws weren't included. The sound also varied quite a bit in some rev. 1 LCD-2s, enough to where some people totally disliked one pair while liking another. 

Quote:
too much is relative.
for example to T1 its worth the premium price.

LCD-3
PS1000
R10

...so very good value

Grado Love 4ever

Interesting choices. Personally, as much as I like the PS1000, I don't think it belongs in a "top 3 dynamic cans" list. I think if any Grado belong on a list like that, it's Joe's HP1000.

Honestly, this thread is filled with extremes. It seems people want to either discredit the PS1000 entirely or call it one of the best headphones in the world. I don't think it deserves either. It's a good headphone, on par with current flagships from other big manufacturers like Beyer and Sennheiser. In terms of performance, it's not going to be able to keep up with the high end orthos or electrostatics, but then John Grado doesn't make headphones that way. They're designed to appeal to certain tastes and for fun over analytic listening.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 40

Quote:
I agree that Grado's using the same headband and materials as their cheapest headphones is questionable, but what "big problems" are you referring to specifically? The only issues I'm aware of are variations in sound among the earliest models, as well as cosmetic issues with the earlier pre-chrome earcups.

The PS1000 is by no means the only "TOTL" headphone with problems. The Edition 10 for instance was released with a manufacturer's defect in the earpads that screwed up the sound signature even more than it already was. And if the PS1000 costs too much, where does that leave the Edition 10? Furthermore, I'd argue that the measurements for the Edition 10 qualify as a bigger problem than anything wrong with the PS1000.

The LCD-2 had its fair share of issues too. The blocks that labeled the channels developed cracks in a lot of units, including my own. I had to wait several months for new blocks to be sent, and then another month afterward because the correct sized screws weren't included. The sound also varied quite a bit in some rev. 1 LCD-2s, enough to where some people totally disliked one pair while liking another. 

i agrre with you and i don´t like ed.10 for the same reason(and for the poor cable not balanced)
my ps-1000(and the ps-1000 of my friends) have great problems in the bass response.
same problem for all models8mine and my friends)
the lcd-2 cost half price compared to the grado and ultrasone.
i had rev.1 and i have rev.2: no problems and better sound
remember that audeze is a small and young company

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 40

Quote:

Strength of the PS1000 would be the very smooth upper bass to middle-midrange. The weaknesses were with the excessive bass (region just below mid-bass) and mid-treble. The bass could be toned down with an amp with solid grip and control. The treble would be mellowed out a bit with tubes. Still the treble was too much for me so I applied a single 2-ply layer of Kirkland Toilet Paper over the front of the drivers. I tried cloth, silk, and other materials, but the TP still worked best for attenuating the problem region.

Alas I do not have the PS1000 ToiletPants anymore, so I cannot provide measurements to prove my claims.

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #25 of 40
yes PS1000 is so much fun but in a serious way
its not a can to make fun of...
its music reporduction on a ultra high level without any flaws in SQ

maybe in USA the T1 and HD800 sounds an exotic deal directly ordered from overseas (Europe) and for the same reason Grado's don't get the same praise there...
...that makes me sad 

...I have to say its really picky about amps and source material and even if you find a nice amp -> the source will be very dependent in the final outcome
...but low level listening is something special here - its Grado miracle - senn and beyer are 2 classes behind this Grado
...and if you miss the soundstage against HD800 that means you paired it with a bad synergy amp

and we all know that if a can has too much soundstage does not mean that its a better can: think about AKG's unnaturally huge soundstage

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:
i agrre with you and i don´t like ed.10 for the same reason(and for the poor cable not balanced)
my ps-1000(and the ps-1000 of my friends) have great problems in the bass response.
same problem for all models8mine and my friends)
the lcd-2 cost half price compared to the grado and ultrasone.
i had rev.1 and i have rev.2: no problems and better sound
remember that audeze is a small and young company

The point of my post is that the PS1000 shouldn't be considered a pariah among current flagship headphones. This thread is filled with a lot of extremes, with people either calling it worthless or championing it as the greatest headphone since the R10.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
yes PS1000 is so much fun but in a serious way
its not a can to make fun of...
its music reporduction on a ultra high level without any flaws in SQ

maybe in USA the T1 and HD800 sounds an exotic deal directly ordered from overseas (Europe) and for the same reason Grado's don't get the same praise there...
...that makes me sad 

...I have to say its really picky about amps and source material and even if you find a nice amp -> the source will be very dependent in the final outcome
...but low level listening is something special here - its Grado miracle - senn and beyer are 2 classes behind this Grado
...and if you miss the soundstage against HD800 that means you paired it with a bad synergy amp

and we all know that if a can has too much soundstage does not mean that its a better can: think about AKG's unnaturally huge soundstage

Please don't be offended when I say this, but your posts aren't helping anyone take the PS1000 more seriously when they're filled with hyperbole like "ultra high level without any flaws in SQ." That may be your opinion, but objectively speaking, every headphone is going to reproduce music with some sort of flaw. Yes, it's good with low level listening. That's no miracle: it's because of the tipped up bass and treble response. As a colored headphone, its sound is going to appeal to some and not to others.

Also there are plenty of fans of Grado in the USA. Head-Fi is hardly representative of what people in the US as a whole are into. Especially when a lot of people on Head-Fi aren't even from the US.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #28 of 40
I wasn't saying that the PS1k isn't "hifi"  (although I don't think any John Grado comes very close to fidelity, it's not even the goal) I just think it's funny to see threads wanting to compare random expensive phones. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
Strength of the PS1000 would be the very smooth upper bass to middle-midrange. The weaknesses were with the excessive bass (region just below mid-bass) and mid-treble. The bass could be toned down with an amp with solid grip and control. The treble would be mellowed out a bit with tubes. Still the treble was too much for me so I applied a single 2-ply layer of Kirkland Toilet Paper over the front of the drivers. I tried cloth, silk, and other materials, but the TP still worked best for attenuating the problem region.

Alas I do not have the PS1000 ToiletPants anymore, so I cannot provide measurements to prove my claims.

thank you
i agree with you for the excessive bass.

Kirkland Toilet Paper rules!!!

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #30 of 40

Quote:
I wasn't saying that the PS1k isn't "hifi"  (although I don't think any John Grado comes very close to fidelity, it's not even the goal) I just think it's funny to see threads wanting to compare random expensive phones. 

Are you saying that you don't enjoy this thread as much as I do? 
biggrin.gif

I think the comparison makes a lot of sense since both of these headphones have the same unfortunate reputation of being over priced and crappy. There were a lot of good things said about the Edition10 in the early days just the PS1000 when it came out. We all know what happened to them later on. 
I have never heard the ED10 and would love to have a chance to do so. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back