PS1000 vs Ultrasone 10 COMPARE
Nov 26, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #31 of 40

Quote:
I think the comparison makes a lot of sense since both of these headphones have the same unfortunate reputation of being over priced and crappy. There were a lot of good things said about the Edition10 in the early days just the PS1000 when it came out. We all know what happened to them later on. 
I have never heard the ED10 and would love to have a chance to do so. 

Hmmm I think I agree with you on all counts!  Except I'm not sure how unfortunate it is...

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #32 of 40
thats what i'm talk about too...
why has ps1000 bad reputation ?
that's not fair

for me its better than HD800.
but the reputation of HD800 is better most of the time here (not always)
i dont understand why...

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
thank you
i agree with you for the excessive bass.

Kirkland Toilet Paper rules!!!

And I agree with him when he says the bass can be toned down with the right amplifier.

Quote:
Are you saying that you don't enjoy this thread as much as I do? 
biggrin.gif

I think the comparison makes a lot of sense since both of these headphones have the same unfortunate reputation of being over priced and crappy. There were a lot of good things said about the Edition10 in the early days just the PS1000 when it came out. We all know what happened to them later on. 
I have never heard the ED10 and would love to have a chance to do so. 

Plenty of bad things were said about the Edition 10 in the early days. In fact, it was ridiculed and despised by head-fiers since before it was even released just based on the price, appearance, and Ultrasone's dubious reputation.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 40
it seems of interest how many people insult the ps1k.....and how many times it has been mentioned in the high end forum! feel free to come out of the closet with your ps1k's on now......

the ed10 on the other hand, not the best ultrasone. the ps1k i will say is representative of a grado flagship. whether one likes the sound is up to them. i do maintain however that is is a totl headphone. not just in name or price either. you will need the right amp. perhaps therein lies many peoples issues with them. they did not have the right amp. unfortunately the amp i found jived the best with them is no longer made. i will also add i have not treated them all that nice and they still work as intended years later. mine now have so many thousands of hours i have lost track. that leads me to another issue. if one rushes the break in on these they are likely to well, break. with new ones it will be a long and slow process before they reach their final sound signature. i do agree out of the box they can suck. even after 500 hours perhaps. so if that is not for you then look elsewhere. if you are thinking of buying used, think again. the way they hold their value may very well be a testament to their demand after all. of course grado has been making headphones a long time. ultrasone and audeze have not. if that matters. on the other hand sennheiser and stax have been at it a long time as well. in closing, if one wishes for a stellar expensive headphone i can recommend the sr009. that will easily outdo the ps1k. the others my ears are not so sure about. to me that cements the foundation of the ps1k as a totl headphone. that's just my ears though. ymmv. a lot.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #37 of 40

Quote:

And I agree with him when he says the bass can be toned down with the right amplifier.

yes, but what is?
one that attenuates low frequencies?
big deal
the ps-1000 is the only one headphone that not sound good with my beta

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #39 of 40

Quote:

Plenty of bad things were said about the Edition 10 in the early days. In fact, it was ridiculed and despised by head-fiers since before it was even released just based on the price, appearance, and Ultrasone's dubious reputation.

And this is perhaps why the ED 10 got such bad reviews?  I was at a meet with ED10s and before they were even tried on, there were people there spouting about how terrible they are, and I'd rather wear garbage cans, etc.

I tried them briefly, but couldn't get a proper impression.

Dec 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
And this is perhaps why the ED 10 got such bad reviews?  I was at a meet with ED10s and before they were even tried on, there were people there spouting about how terrible they are, and I'd rather wear garbage cans, etc.

I tried them briefly, but couldn't get a proper impression.

Here's my opinion on the matter, for what it's worth (admittedly not much).

The Edition 10 isn't as awful as people like to make it out to be. It does certain things well: midrange, imaging, soundstage and overall presentation. On certain recordings it does a good job conveying a "being there" sort of sensation, what I suppose you could call holographic. I also happen to find the design attractive.

Then there are things it does quite poorly. The low end can become amorphous. The high end is strident with certain instruments and there's noticeable sibilance. On more complex passages it can get muddled and sound confused. To top if off, S-Logic doesn't work for some people, so a lot of the positive aspects of the sound I described above become a moot point in such a case.

Now if we were talking about a sub-$1000 pair of headphones, I honestly think they'd be given more of a chance. Given that the price is so astronomically high however, any faults will be magnified. Magnified significantly. Coupled with an air of pomp and circumstance that it exudes, along with a general dislike of Ultrasone as a company around these parts, and these issues start to snowball out of control.

I think the Edition 10 is rightfully considered a failure. I just happen to find it a rather interesting---and occasionally enjoyable--- failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back