Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Mar 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #16,936 of 24,655
Just got my Blu-Ray copy of "Interstellar"!
Woo-Hoo!
biggrin.gif

Same here. FYI to anyone who's interested in Wal-Mart's "Interstellar" Neo-Pack (the most expensive version)..it's much nicer than what the retail display version looks like.
It was on sale for $22 from $29.

Target has a "Steelbook" version and Bestbuy has a version that has some exclusive bonus features.

Wal-Mart version looked best to me and it has a 48 page booklet with it.

Oh and the 70mm film piece I got was AWFUL. Just a black blob of something. Seriously is that the best they could do? Must be an automated process.

Make sure you listen to the movie with your best headphone setup! Whatever has the best low-bass. I'm going to use my Sennheiser HD-650 I think. I don't even think that will be good enough.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #16,940 of 24,655

The Usual Suspects by Bryan Singer (1995).

My dad recommended this one a long time ago, "you must watch The Usual Suspects, since you love those weird movies" :D

Sinopsis: A sole survivor tells of the twisty events leading up to a horrific gun battle on a boat, which begin when five criminals meet at a seemingly random police lineup.

Characters:

Verbal (Kevin Spacey): Verbal is the main character here, this guy is a cripple, they really enjoy remarking that fact, making him look weak and stupid. His personality is somewhat shy, he's very loyal in a way that someone could mislead him onto anything. He pities himself, talks too much, and such. But he is really, really clever. He knows this is the impression he is making of himself. It seems so easy to mess around with him. The character is developed really well throughout the story. His naive and submissive attitude is really important later on
since it isn't like that actually.

Keaton (Gabriel Byrne): Keaton is supposed to be someone with a past that sets him off as a big fish criminally-wise. He's a typical womanizer with a chill vibe. An ex-cop that knows all the layouts from the inside and now is a criminal. Keaton befriends Verbal and guides him along, hence why Verbal has such trust and loyalty toward him. He is apparently in love with an attorney named Edie who helps him out of jail and supposedly has connections for when Keaton is in legal trouble, so policemen can't catch him.

McManus (Stephen Baldwin): McManus is a schizoid if you want to put it that way. Devoted marksman, he's the kind that fools around but seems crazy and has the look in his eyes that shows he could twist your neck if you let him too close. And he still is very loyal to his partner, Fenster. Verbal refers to him as "crazy, but he's a good guy".

Fenster (Benicio Del Toro): Fenster reminded me of Tony Montana. A "show-off", he isn't impressed by anyone. He can't sit still, talks in a funny way, he's pretty smart with communication. I don't perceive him as an ass, though. As I said, he is McManus's partner.

Hockney (Kevin Pollack): Huckney is hilarious, angry humour at best here. When police interrogated him at the beginning it went this way:
Interrogation Cop: "I can put you in Queens on the night of the hijacking."
Hockney: "Really? I live in Queens. Did you put that together yourself, Einstein? What, do you got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?"
He's an angry, pissed off man. You will laugh with him.

Kujan (Chazz Palminteri): Kujan is the cop that interrogates Verbal as the movie passes on. He's really controlling and of course tries to make you spurt anything to screw you. He's over-confident and wants to be in control, this plays him a bad run later on in the movie.

I really enjoyed the movie all the way, I only checked the time-stamp once out of curiosity
when the Keyser Soze twist occurs
there were 15 minutes left maybe, I was shocked time had passed so quickly. Pace is perfect, never drops or rushes. I think it is an overall excellent job by Singer, one of the best movies I've seen.

Heartfelt rating: 10/10
Realistic rating: 9.5/10

I guess no movie is perfect so we have to be "realistic".

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #16,943 of 24,655
oh god, where to start.

The Brass Tea pot : 4/10.
A movie that started well..but I just couldn't finish it. The plot just wore so thing and it wore out its welcome SO fast. I was only an hour in and realized that it had a full FORTY FIVE minuets to go. The characters just kind of immediately change gears thought it's supposed to be over time...but we never see any of this process. I wanted someone to beat me senseless...and it would have been more exiting than the movie; also it felt like the director was trying to give it a Mean Girls meets Pulp Fiction feel just from some of the dialog and shots...its just very bizarre.

TL;DR an interesting movie at the start that's 45 minuets too long.

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #16,944 of 24,655
I was looking through up-coming movies produced by a Russian company Bazelevs ( owned by Timur Bekmambetov) and came across horror film Unfriended which will be widely released in the USA. It was co-produced with American company Blumhouse Productions.  

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #16,946 of 24,655
Saw The Imitation Game late Monday night/early Tues morning, and it was 100% worth the wait. What a fantastic film. I know there were some liberties taken with the story, which is to be expected, as it wasn't a documentary, but regardless, the story of Alan Turing is pretty damn interesting. Highly recommend this film...

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #16,947 of 24,655
Saw The Imitation Game late Monday night/early Tues morning, and it was 100% worth the wait. What a fantastic film. I know there were some liberties taken with the story, which is to be expected, as it wasn't a documentary, but regardless, the story of Alan Turing is pretty damn interesting. Highly recommend this film...

Really great movie. Cumberbatch nailed Turing.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #16,948 of 24,655
Just got my Blu-Ray copy of "Interstellar"!

Woo-Hoo!
:D

Same here. FYI to anyone who's interested in Wal-Mart's "Interstellar" Neo-Pack (the most expensive version)..it's much nicer than what the retail display version looks like.
It was on sale for $22 from $29.

Target has a "Steelbook" version and Bestbuy has a version that has some exclusive bonus features.

Wal-Mart version looked best to me and it has a 48 page booklet with it.

Oh and the 70mm film piece I got was AWFUL. Just a black blob of something. Seriously is that the best they could do? Must be an automated process.

Make sure you listen to the movie with your best headphone setup! Whatever has the best low-bass. I'm going to use my Sennheiser HD-650 I think. I don't even think that will be good enough.

I found the sound mixing to be quite awful by listening through a home theater system. Some parts of the soundtrack were too loud and deafening, they drowned dialogue. That must be unbearable with headphones.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #16,949 of 24,655
Really great movie. Cumberbatch nailed Turing.

He sure did...that dude is a fantastic actor. He's getting up there into Tom hardy land for me in terms of character acting. 

On a side note, all I kept thinking when he was narrating at the beginning was, "dang, that REALLY sounds like the voice in the Force Awakens trailer" lol  I dont know if there was ever any closure on that, but I think most of the reports/posts I saw said they thought it was Andy Serkis, not Cumberbatch. But I'm not so sure...did you (or anyone else) notice that at all? 

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #16,950 of 24,655
The Walking Dead - 9/10

I know this isn't a movie, but I wanted to post this anyway. All the stories are interconnected so it feels like one super long movie.
First TV show i've watched regularly since "Doc Martin", "Whale Wars" and "MacGyver". No kidding.
I watched all of these in the span of a few weeks. Oh and I generally hate gory movies and avoid ALL horror movies.

Season 1 - Very good
Season 2 - Zombie soap opera. Wanted to punch my TV multiple times or yell at it. This dragged on forever but I couldn't wait to see what happens.
Season 3 - Best season yet
Season 4 - Just as good
Season 5 - in the middle of it. Episode one was too disturbing and too gory. The neck slicing scene bothered me a lot.

Seriously I had no clue this kind of stuff could be on basic cable. In a way it's violent/excessively gory garbage, but I can't help but watch.
I'm wondering how the heck this originally got a TV-14 rating. That's insane! I'd say it's the goriest thing i've ever watched (other than "Brain Dead").
I really hate how the writers seemingly are obsessed with death. They not only kill off my favorite characters, but then make it look like they're still alive, but graphically finish them off. Oh and then have their zombie heads still laying around to be stabbed with a sword. It seems like only the good guys really die so graphically. Having a character die every episode gets kind of old. They're usually the ones I like too.

Hope they don't end the series and hope they don't keep making it more and more gory and try to push the limits of what's allowed on TV.

I watch hardly any TV, and indeed, stopped regularly watching The Walking Dead towards the end of season 2, catching only the first half of season 3 and the last few episodes of season 4. Season 5 I almost watched in its entirety, however. It's not that I think the show had gotten much smarter or the actors or the writers kicked their game up or anything that would normally matter to me, but I felt as if the directing and pacing improved by a great deal for the bulk of the fifth season, and in the last handful of episodes the writers finally began to really examine again what is most compelling to me about post-apocalyptic fiction: the good guy vs. good guy conflict, where neither side is 'evil' or even wrong, but both have learned different, almost polar-opposite ways to survive. It really made for some great popcorn TV (maybe two or three really bad episodes aside), I thought. It's a shame that I don't think it's a trend that will continue into the future. Nonetheless, I thought that season 5 was by far the best season of the series, and was more along the lines of what I wish the show had been doing much earlier. Almost makes me think I should give other highly praised American television dramas a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back