Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 19, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #148,621 of 150,258
To all my forum-mates who enjoy Bowie, I would recommend Seu Jorge's covers of Bowie. He is a Brazilian acoustic guitarist who did a few Bowie covers for the Bill Murray movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou", then did a whole album. It is really enjoyable. I have seen him live too, its a good show.

P.S. Only listen if you are in the mood to chill, because his vibe is super-chill. Happy listening.

Seu Jorge is a man of many parts. Good original music too, and a fab voice!

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #148,622 of 150,258
That a coaxial speaker? Utah Speaker Company hadn't the sophistication of KEF® and TANNOY®, but it was not needed in the mid-20th Century; my Celeste™ cabs (destined for the 会議室 Conference Room, 胡桃河町日系油童教會 Japanese Christian Church of Walnut Creek (CA, USA), a member Congregation o' the 東宣北米神聖教會 OMS (viz., Oriental Missionary Society) Holiness Church of North America) each pack a ø10" woofer and ø5" whizzer cone, plus a dedicated ø4" tweeter.

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #148,623 of 150,258
• I believe that @bcowen has Tekton loudspeakers in his 'big rig' system.
• How that system is installed is beyond me 🤔😳:IMG_7853.jpeg
That's not my house -- that's the right speaker. You have to do a panoramic shot to get the left one in the same photo. You've obviously never seen a Tekton speaker. 🤣

Apr 19, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #148,624 of 150,258
The only cables I have that do have directional markings are the World's Best Cables.
Thoughts on these cables? I have been looking at a few of them to try and tidy up the mess I have. The seem reasonably priced (for Australia) and they are available on Amazon AU, which is a plus for me.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #148,627 of 150,258
Apr 19, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #148,628 of 150,258
To all my forum-mates who enjoy Bowie, I would recommend Seu Jorge's covers of Bowie. He is a Brazilian acoustic guitarist who did a few Bowie covers for the Bill Murray movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou", then did a whole album. It is really enjoyable. I have seen him live too, its a good show.

P.S. Only listen if you are in the mood to chill, because his vibe is super-chill. Happy listening.
His renditions are AMAZING!

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #148,629 of 150,258
I grabbed a couple pairs of PYST 6" cables to form up a permanent connection for my suddenly burgeoning Schiit stack of a Heckuvadeal Magni+ (a moment of silence as it has been announced that fine model has now gone on to that great stack in the sky 😔) and a Loki+ I acquired from @Paladin79 (thanks ever so much, Tom!) and my old but still rockin' Topping D50S.

Question about them: Some RCAs have directional markings on them... does that matter, and do the PYST have them? I don't see any, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to confirm. :)
I have seen a couple responses about directional cables and I hope I can clarify some of this. RCA cables can be made with coaxial cable and direction does not matter, there is a center conductor and ground (shield). Some manufacturers claim the copper crystals align better in one direction over another so they mark what they believe is the best direction. Then you have microphone cable or similar with two conductors and a shield. The two center wires , usually twisted pair, have a signal line and ground. If you then attach the shield on both ends to said ground you have created a ground loop. What you do is connect the shield to the source end, and leave the shield off of the destination end. The arrow indicates signal flow from source to destination. That is the way I generally build interconnect cables. Another way to build with that cable is just like coaxial, you attach the two center conductors for signal and use the shield for ground, then no need to mark direction. PYST may do that.😁 Also stranded wire is more flexible than solid center conductor so PYST probably uses that as well.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #148,630 of 150,258
6922 Recommendations?

I have a piece of tube gear that came with a pair of current production JJ 6922s. They are fine, but I'm in the mood to roll...

Are there any "special" 6922s out there that don't cost an arm, leg and kidney? I was looking at the Mullards, but they are close to $200 each. Yikes.

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #148,631 of 150,258
Ain't the geographical situation also a big part of the difference?
Not really. Even in the low-density North Sonoma County, new custom construction has to go through many steps, especially if close to the coast. We own a lot adjacent to a house we own there, but just thinking about how long it would take to get a small house for visitors approved there...

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #148,632 of 150,258
I have seen a couple responses about directional cables and I hope I can clarify some of this. RCA cables can be made with coaxial cable and direction does not matter, there is a center conductor and ground (shield). Some manufacturers claim the copper crystals align better in one direction over another so they mark what they believe is the best direction. Then you have microphone cable or similar with two conductors and a shield. The two center wires , usually twisted pair, have a signal line and ground. If you then attach the shield on both ends to said ground you have created a ground loop. What you do is connect the shield to the source end, and leave the shield off of the destination end. The arrow indicates signal flow from source to destination. That is the way I generally build interconnect cables. Another way to build with that cable is just like coaxial, you attach the two center conductors for signal and use the shield for ground, then no need to mark direction. PYST may do that.😁 Also stranded wire is more flexible than solid center conductor so PYST probably uses that as well.
Great info!

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #148,633 of 150,258
Thoughts on these cables? I have been looking at a few of them to try and tidy up the mess I have. The seem reasonably priced (for Australia) and they are available on Amazon AU, which is a plus for me.
They seem like good cables. They are well built. But I honestly haven't had much time with the WBC cables yet. I ordered them on March 8th and just received them yesterday. But so far so good

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #148,634 of 150,258
6922 Recommendations?

I have a piece of tube gear that came with a pair of current production JJ 6922s. They are fine, but I'm in the mood to roll...

Are there any "special" 6922s out there that don't cost an arm, leg and kidney? I was looking at the Mullards, but they are close to $200 each. Yikes.
If looking for non-NOS, the Genalex Gold Lions are great sounding tubes to my ears.

Otherwise, get a 6922 to 5670 adapter and roll some Bendix tubes into it. $25 each with $8 shipping to the US. From vacuum tubes.net.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back