Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 24, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #122,206 of 152,351
Because the board won’t fit into the case. It’s about a millimeter or two too deep. I think.
I've tried fanagling a Pi board into a magni chassis in CAD, but it doesn't quite work. You would be better off using the compute board and adding the other connections. But Jason has said multiple times that they won't do that as they don't bring anything new to the table and they don't want to get involved in software development. It's a shame, because I think a Pi with a Unison USB output would be cool. However, having seen the issues that iFi had with the Zen Stream and their fork of Volumio, and I own one that works, I would agree with their decision.

Jul 24, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #122,207 of 152,351
In ref to Pi and all the rest…

I have been using a WiiM Pro as my audio streamer for about 6 months. Drive out SPDIF to a Schiit DAC. It can be configured to output up to 192kHz 24 bit - a perfect fit.

It comes with a competent phone app. It is able to cast streams to the Pro using Chromecast and even better AlexaCast that at the full 192kHz. Of course it has Airplay. It supports DLNA to interface to a computer running music players such as Audirvana.

The phone app has native apps for a variety of music services - Quobuz, Tidal, Amazon, Pandora, Spotify, etc. Also TuneIn, iHeart, vTuner, and an app to enter your favorite online radio station link.

It has constant updates. Roon was just added.

It costs $149, often less.

What’s not to like?

IMG_8664.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #122,208 of 152,351
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #122,212 of 152,351
Question about the Schiit DCA combo jot2 and noire: does it come with the xlr cable or does the combo just come with the quarter inch cable termination? Because I’d like to have the best experience from the amp and the headphones which is the xlr connection.
Not sure the answer to this, But, that never stopped me before! For what it's worth, when I reached out to Dan Clark a while ago about purchasing a balanced cable he responded to me saying it was his experience that as long as you aren't far away from your system, the balanced cable made no difference to the headphone listening experience......(for his headphones)

Leo

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #122,213 of 152,351
Question about the Schiit DCA combo jot2 and noire: does it come with the xlr cable or does the combo just come with the quarter inch cable termination? Because I’d like to have the best experience from the amp and the headphones which is the xlr connection.
If you order the combo from the Dan Clark Audio website it will give you the option to choose your preferred cable.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #122,214 of 152,351
The Schiit website doesn't explicitly answer that question. But the picture for the combo package shows the Noir plugged into the Jot's 4-pin XLR connection.

The order confirmation likewise is silent on the issue.

Jul 24, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #122,215 of 152,351
XLR, of course.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 24, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #122,216 of 152,351
Enjoyed on Urd...
20230723_210628[1].jpg

Sky of Honey is the second CD from Kate Bush's 2005 Aerial set (2018 Remaster.)

It's one of those discs which benefit from Urd's ability to present details without turning them into sonic icepicks aimed straight at the eardrums. Even moreso for The Ninth Wave song cycle from Kate's 1985 magnum opus Hounds of Love. That album opens with Running Up That Hill, which has been streamed more than a billion times since being featured on Stranger Things. I can only imagine the reaction of some teen who streams the whole album and gets through the first half of reasonably conventional pop, then encounters the dense and occasionally harrowing sound journey which is The Ninth Wave. But I digress (which I could do as a profession, except there's no money in it.)

On the subject of Urd drawer fronts, pleased to say mine is nicely aligned. But there is an issue - the brushing. On the Urd's face, the brushing is vertical. But on the drawer cover, the finer brushing is horizontal. Throws off the aesthetic feng shui, once noticed can't be unseen.

Kidding! But you knew that, right?

My Legacy dealer visited to do the final (hopefully) set-up of the Aeris/Wavelet. He professed to be most impressed with my Schiit stack, and based on how long he stayed to listen I believe him. When I played Traction in the Rain from David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, he seemed to have a real emotional reaction. He judged to sound to be "analog," a compliment to the Urd/Ygg combo.

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #122,217 of 152,351
URD IMPRESSION

After listening to Urd today is want to share my impressions with you as I experience them .
Qobuz or CD? No difference that my ears with the Quads can detect (in case it is the same master)
SP/DIF or Unison USB? Unison USB without the slightest doubt. To me an overwhelming difference in natural sound, attack and detail.

Some of the track I listened to that I'm very familiar with over the years.
A case of you - Joni Mitchell / Wayne Shorter (Album: Both sides now)
Come to find - Doug MacLeod (Album: Come to find)
Samba de uma nota so - Stan Getz & Charlie Bird (Album: Jazz samba)
Fever - Elvis Presley (Album: Elvis is back)
In my room - The Beach boys (Album: Surfer girl)
A taste of honey - Lizz Wright (Album: Dreaming wide awake)
And many more

Well let me start with saying that I thought I had no digital glare in the highs with the Yggy A2. As it appears now I was totally wrong!
Now that Urd is in between PC and DAC, the sound is way more natural and at first I thought it was a little dull until I realised what was going on.
The depth and reverb of the studio ambiance is stunning. The timbre in the human voice that is revealed gives me goose bumps.
More separation, more air around the artist and the instruments, more soundstage depth, more stable placement of voice and instruments in the total image.
Am I satisfied? It has been worth every day of waiting, every Euro spend.

It is almost embarrassing to me that it took the Schiit team so much time, trouble, sweat, headaches and I can just order, pay and play. 1, 2, 3.
A big big thank you to the whole Schitt team who made this little marvel of technique possible. I'm very grateful.

My stack is complete!

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #122,218 of 152,351
Just finished putting together my wonderful B-Day gift a set of Seas (Dynaco) A26 speakers.
Old School. 2 Way
Simple X-Over. 1 cap. 1 resistor.

1690029315064.png

Trip back to 1969!
Easy Kit to build...
Listening on my third day and experimenting with many dacs...

My favorite out of all my high $$$ dacs is the (drumroll)...
Schiit Modi Multibit 2.
Uncanny wonderful sound.
Selling one of my high dollar dacs....
Great little package at a wonderful price!
Superb.
1690029460305.png
There was a point where Dynaco sold more speakers than any company in the US as I recall, many got their audio start with Dynakits. :ksc75smile:

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #122,219 of 152,351
There was a point where Dynaco sold more speakers than any company in the US as I recall, many got their audio start with Dynakits. :ksc75smile:
Exactly the simple little systems that I love and loved demoing - when put together with a bit of care and attn to the details - ie decent ( not necessarily expensive ) cables , speaker stands and the like were so utterly engaging and musical

Jul 24, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #122,220 of 152,351
Thanks to @mystaiced for the recommendation of the matched 1976 Japanese-made Raytheon 6FQ7/6GC7 tubes for my Freya N. I ordered my set this morning, the last ones the vendor had in stock. They're shipping today from the USA. The Reflectors I ordered yesterday from Ukraine have an ETA of sometime between August and October.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back