Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #138,407 of 151,483
Feb 3, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #138,408 of 151,483
Listening to Urd -> Yggy MiB tonight

Among other choices, I've cued up Depeche Mode's "Violator" and I'm listening to track 2, "Sweetest Perfection".

And I'm realizing how freaking fantastic this combo sounds. Clarity, staging, and most importantly - precision in timing. Just wow.

I also have the LP, but I'm not touching any tonearms at this point on a Friday night... maybe later?

p.s. - and now, "Personal Jesus"; again I'm floored by something that I can only describe as incredible timing. A solidity? A flow? I have no schiiting idea, but I'm loving the sound.

p.p.s. - streaming - as good as my streamer and Qobuz are - simply doesn't match Urd's sound, regardless of the resolution. Urd sounds like a turntable. No, really, it does. A turntable for CDs.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #138,409 of 151,483
Tonight as I was swapping out my Dual fully auto 'table for my Pro-Ject Beatles Singles (manual) player I decided I would put my Onkyo 6 disc CD player in. I cleaned everything up and connected it to my Emotiva XDA2 via coax input. The Emotiva has always been problematic with randomly not playing until I hard boot it. I hate that but I have long been thinking of an end game (for me) CD player such as the Marantz CD60 or their new CD 50n which also has a built in HEOS internet tuner. So...If I actually listen to CDs at least as much as I do records I may finally buy a new player.

This purchase would be based primarily on looks after affordability. I cannot hear any difference in CD players or DACs but I can see one. Shanlings new players look nice but I honestly do not think them as loverly as Marantz's 60 and 50n models. I prefer the silver/gold version of both players. I am not keen at all on buying a new XDA3 even though I think it looks very nice. If the XDA2 digital inputs died, then maybe or maybe I would just use the analog outs? I have a HEOS Link connected to the XDA2 via toslink for (I hate this term) "streaming" of music. It works just fine and if I am listening to Amazon Music UHD it alerts me that the song is frAudiophile approved by displaying the frequency.

I cannot hear any difference, dammit...:L3000:

Any way, most of my listening is via HEOS throughout the house including my garage gym. Records are primarily played in a small room right next to the couch I sit on and I use an Andover Audio Spinbase and subwoofer setup. I rotate my 8 turntables when the mood strikes me. This is more than fine for such as I. So there it is. I will see if I actually listen more via CDs now. If so, I will get a new player that looks cool. If not, the ones I currently own will do just fine.

I know this is the Schiit thread, but if you don't want the URD (personally it didn't meet my size or usage requirements) the Shanling ET3 or even EC Mini are excellent. They are completely different products than URD and I don't see them as direct competition. Shanling as a company is decent, but no where near Schiit level. 😁

My main system is ET3->Yggy OG->Freya N/Rekkr or Folkvangr. I can stream/play digital media/CDs with just a couple pushes of a button. I can then grab the ET3 and plug it in to my living room system.

Feb 3, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #138,410 of 151,483
Totally agree! Believe it or not, MiB is probably the most analog sound Yggdrasil version yet. You just need to feed it with quality source and you'll be rewarded with incredible sound that reminds you of Vinyl without the pops and crackles

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #138,411 of 151,483
A wonderful piece for weekend.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 15.11.26.png

Feb 3, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #138,412 of 151,483
I know this is the Schiit thread, but if you don't want the URD (personally it didn't meet my size or usage requirements) the Shanling ET3 or even EC Mini are excellent. They are completely different products than URD and I don't see them as direct competition. Shanling as a company is decent, but no where near Schiit level. 😁

My main system is ET3->Yggy OG->Freya N/Rekkr or Folkvangr. I can stream/play digital media/CDs with just a couple pushes of a button. I can then grab the ET3 and plug it in to my living room system.
Thank you!

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #138,413 of 151,483
It was an audiophile fave when released. Often used to demo gear, along with the Cowboy Junkies' Trinity Sessions. Couldn't avoid them in the Hi-Fi stores...
Thanks.
The recording quality on The Hunter is excellent, as is the musicianship, but I prefer ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #138,414 of 151,483
Listening to Urd -> Yggy MiB tonight

Among other choices, I've cued up Depeche Mode's "Violator" and I'm listening to track 2, "Sweetest Perfection".

And I'm realizing how freaking fantastic this combo sounds. Clarity, staging, and most importantly - precision in timing. Just wow.

I also have the LP, but I'm not touching any tonearms at this point on a Friday night... maybe later?

p.s. - and now, "Personal Jesus"; again I'm floored by something that I can only describe as incredible timing. A solidity? A flow? I have no schiiting idea, but I'm loving the sound.

p.p.s. - streaming - as good as my streamer and Qobuz are - simply doesn't match Urd's sound, regardless of the resolution. Urd sounds like a turntable. No, really, it does. A turntable for CDs.
Thanks for this @dstrimbu
I understand exactly what you mean.
Streaming can sound very good, but for me too, CDs are simply ‘better’, at least to these old ears! :beyersmile:

I am not even going to try to describe the difference as I’ll risk getting into Hi Fi reviewer language and I am definitely not using the word p******n!

As for vinyl, I continue to be amazed by how good it can sound.
The downside, in my experience, is that it costs a lot of money to match what a good CD transport and DAC can deliver.
In terms of ‘bang per buck’ for me, CD absolutely trounces vinyl.

However……

I have recently bought a few half-speed masters on vinyl.
Many were done by Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios.
The sound quality on some is fantastic!
A couple of examples are ‘Best of Roxy Music’ and ‘Avalon’.

Last week I tracked down a new, mint copy of ‘Tin Drum’ by Japan.
It is a Miles Showell half-speed master on two 45 rpm discs.

I was expecting it to sound good, but I wasn’t prepared for how good; it is simply stunning!

It has been quite a journey to arrive at a vinyl system which can match CD, but for me, it has been worth it.

If I could only have one music source, it would still be CDs, but there is something about vinyl which I love.

I am lucky that I can enjoy both.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #138,415 of 151,483
Any way to connect my 6th gen iPad with Lightning to a Modi 3 with s/pidf and digital coax inputs? Want to use as a streamer. I have looked around internet and can't see a solution. Any help mucho appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #138,416 of 151,483
Any way to connect my 6th gen iPad with Lightning to a Modi 3 with s/pidf and digital coax inputs? Want to use as a streamer. I have looked around internet and can't see a solution. Any help mucho appreciated. Thanks.
Apple Camera Connection Kit + any usb > s/pdif converter

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #138,417 of 151,483

I haven't tried it, but I do have both items: an Apple Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (it will adapt much more than cameras) and a SMSL PO100 Pro DDC. Chain them together with the USB-A (from the camera adapter) to C cable included with the DDC and it should work.

Edit: I may try it from my iPad to Gungnir Multibit a little later today. There's no reason why it won't work. Note that you can also keep your iPad charged with the lightning port beside the USB-A port on the Camera Adapter.

1706971247867.png

1706971298758.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #138,418 of 151,483
Found this on an interwebs search:

Apple USB 3.0 Camera connection kit converts Lightning to USB.
SMSL PO100 Pro converts USB to Toslink and Spdif.
Chain the two together and you get a Lightning to Toslink/Spdif converter.

EDIT
ninja'd by @AstronomerXI

I have had mixed results when procuring from Ali-Express, but these were also proposed as a potential solutions:

IKKO ZERDA DAC Lightning to Jack 3.5mm / mini-Toslink MFI adapter CS43198

Lusya USB /Type C/Micro/Lightning To Optical Fiber Cable Power Amplifier Wire Car DSP Audio Cable

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back