Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #152,282 of 153,859
Goes double for cheap Pinot Grigio...

Amarone and Barolo are my preferences, wife likes sweet Kabinetts - we both like Sauternes and LBV Port - but the diet is crimping the frequency of enjoyment....
I do ports in the winter and I must say my wife and I used to drink a lot of Sauternes, did they fall out of favor? I just do not see them much anymore.

Here is what I found. “ AI Overview
Learn more

Sauternes, a sweet wine from Bordeaux, has seen decades of declining sales. The wine has also been affected by a decline in interest in sweet wines in general. However, some say that the public hasn't lost its sweet tooth.”

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #152,283 of 153,859
Yeah, so being rather committed to Vinyl at this point in life (my Jazz and Classical collection is NOT going anywhere, thank you!), I can either (as I did the other day) continue to try and keep scoring CD’s of great music well recorded…. Or, I can succumb to the convenience succubus of streaming… because now I’ve Yggy…

Seriously, I finally can ISTEN into a freaking symphony without CRINGING… or, to paraphrase Mike Moffat… about 99% less sound of AZZ…

So, for subscription fee, why not give it a go w/o buying yet more new hardware that’ll just piss off the missus because it clutters our space… I just had to replace my iPad Pro last month; my previous one literally wore out the USB-C socket, and I could no longer charge it, I’m keeping it, because I am sure I can find somewhere to repair that (it’s otherwise fine and only 3 years old). I figure it can become my new “streamer interface, etc.”…

I’ll pickup the proper iPad adapter so’s I can simultaneously charge and stream probably next week (it’s on the way whilst I move stuffs for my 82 year old mother in law who is getting married and moving households - yes, and she’s spry enough to kick pretty much any 70 year olds AZZ!).

I’m at least 2 years away from getting organized and de-cluttered (after 2 cross country house-hold moves in 4 years) enough to setup my (pales to your level) wood shop again. Alas, thanks to this nasty and aggressive hand-arthritis never again to the previous levels - hell, building the wine cellar in the basement this year stretched me worryingly).

Please report your results, as will I. I love that Yggy is so scalable.
You are such a temptress, as a Schiit salesman. Lol! The Yggy! Have been digital for a while now. No streaming as of yet. Ticks me off, monthly subscriptions. I hear the difference of a 16 bit CD and a 24 bit hi res track for sure, but I have never used a DAC to listen to anything....
PS. Is the Bowmoreman a scotch reference? My father in law loved it, if that what it refers to.

May 18, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #152,284 of 153,859
Also London and Rome, if you're looking for an excuse to travel.
RKW, my cousin is my financial advisor, and we have been talking about this for years. If he didn't play here 1 more time, we would have been going to Royal Albert Hall! Lol! Not sure why he is my financial advisor, but you only live once. He will be going with me to the Hollywood Bowl. Wonder what that saved me? I'll ask him.

May 18, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #152,285 of 153,859
I have never been a huge fan of Chardonnay myself. 😁
My wife loves sweet wines but me not so much. I am enjoying some Crusher merlot (California) right now. Not expensive, though a bit hard to find unless you order it online. Wonderful flavor and while definitely on the drier side, it's not so dry it makes the roof of your mouth itch. :laughing:

1716072125780.png

May 18, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #152,286 of 153,859
I do ports in the winter and I must say my wife and I used to drink a lot of Sauternes, did they fall out of favor? I just do not see them much anymore.

Here is what I found. “ AI Overview
Learn more

Sauternes, a sweet wine from Bordeaux, has seen decades of declining sales. The wine has also been affected by a decline in interest in sweet wines in general. However, some say that the public hasn't lost its sweet tooth.”
My father used to nurse Sauternes while listening to his Quad ESL's (classical & jazz only). 4-5 oz. is plenty. I used to drink Pinot Noir while listening to my panels until that damn movie drove the prices through the roof. Also Raffaneli Zin...

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #152,287 of 153,859
Did @bcowen give his view of the GE 5670 and I missed it? 🤪
It sounded like it needed some more break-in, so I'll be giving it some more time before proceeding and give it a fair chance. Meanwhile, enjoying a Lansdale Frankie. Ye olde battle of the cheap inexpensive tubes. :laughing:

Vali 3 Frankie.jpg

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #152,288 of 153,859
It sounded like it needed some more break-in, so I'll be giving it some more time before proceeding to give it a fair chance. Meanwhile, enjoying a Lansdale Frankie. Ye olde battle of the cheap inexpensive tubes. :laughing:

Nice stand 🤪🤪

May 18, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #152,289 of 153,859
May 18, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #152,291 of 153,859
See pic: I wonder if I could get Jason to move the volume knob or the headphone jack? And how am I going to mount this under the desk--I just bought the bracket!>:!>

Listening to Lisa Hannigan, Moon River

Moon River
.... crank-start the model "M" 🥵🤬🤣

May 18, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #152,292 of 153,859
iPad - USB-c port > Belkin (USB-c audio pass through with charger USB-c port) digital audio to Urd Unison > Urd Unison to Yggy+ OG Unison input.
IMG_9562.jpeg

Notes:

* Newer iPads with USB-c ports connect directly to USB2 devices. No such thing as a camera adapter.
* Apple does not have a USB pass-through with a charger port. They sell the Belkin accessory.
* Older iPads still with the Lightning port do need the USB3 camera adapter. Many offerings along with Apple’s labeled one.
*IPads, gen 9 and newer, preferred, given their higher performance.
*On newer iPadOS versions select Sounds off to silence system/notification sounds.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #152,293 of 153,859
My wife loves sweet wines but me not so much. I am enjoying some Crusher merlot (California) right now. Not expensive, though a bit hard to find unless you order it online. Wonderful flavor and while definitely on the drier side, it's not so dry it makes the roof of your mouth itch. :laughing:

I thought I hated red wines until I tried a Prisoner Wine Company 2018 'Cuttings' Cabernet. Turns out I just hate cheap red wines. :D

1716075384872.png

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #152,295 of 153,859
I thought I hated red wines until I tried a Prisoner Wine Company 2018 'Cuttings' Cabernet. Turns out I just hate cheap red wines. :D
Lol! I'm surprised that you know who hasn't yet commented that I have wine in a bottle instead of a box. He's probably taking his before-dinner nap. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back