Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 31, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #4,276 of 6,472
The only real shortcoming of the Jot is the lack of staging. But I find that it actually has better synergy than the Rag when it comes to the 650. Jot has some of the best price to performance ratio ever for solid state. So if you want solid state and balanced then you really can't go wrong with this amp.

Jotenheim moderate lack of staging matches well with original HEK excessive laid back staging to make great pairing.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,277 of 6,472
My Jotunheim w/dac has just shipped! For future upgrades I will be pairing it with a multibit dac....

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #4,278 of 6,472
  I was  wondering you use 1/4" trs or XLR when you comparing jot's internal dac and mojo?

I tried both when I comparing Grace M9xx(as dac) 、Pioneer XDP-300R(as single-end and balanced dac) and jot internal dac.

SE phone output

M9xx>300R(both SE and BA) >>>> jot DAC

Balanced  phone output 

300R BA>M9xx>300R SE>jot DAC

I guess that using amp's SE out will eliminate most of benefit from balanced source
Jot's internal dac is "acceptable" when use XLR out put to me for this price.

i used 1/4 because at this moment i have just one headphone.
honestly, i don´t know. the dac has 2 4490 so where is the problem? i have no response
probably is better in balanced mode but i don´t think that the sound signature changes from day to the night
i chose the mojo(sold and now hugo) because is another type of sound
i repeat one more time: for the price the jot is awesome

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4,280 of 6,472
there are no op-amps in jotunheim. it's a discrete design. if there are op-amps in the circuit somewhere, they are not part of the gain stage.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #4,282 of 6,472
  i used 1/4 because at this moment i have just one headphone.
honestly, i don´t know. the dac has 2 4490 so where is the problem? i have no response
probably is better in balanced mode but i don´t think that the sound signature changes from day to the night
i chose the mojo(sold and now hugo) because is another type of sound
i repeat one more time: for the price the jot is awesome

I see.
I totally agree with what u wrote.

Going from balanced to SE is a big downgrade to me.So i was confused why u do that.
Now I know  it's sound signature cause.

Jot Amp has no strong sound signature.The sound can be changed  by changing DAC.
But Jot w/ DAC has fixed sound signature.Unless you keep the $100 unused there.

Besides the sound signature,Jot Amp and DAC part is really a different classed stuff.
I felt Jot's DAC part is under $300 level and Amp is $1000 (japan and us brand which i familiar pricing
 not comparing to china brand)

I am updating from Jot's internal DAC now.
When I hesitating to sold Jot w/ DAC and buy a new Jot or Keep the DAC unused there.
I realized that Jot w/ DAC is a trap from schiit.
Schiit use this irresistible product to tell people how inconvenient a DAC/Amp combo is.

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #4,284 of 6,472
If I were to buy a Modi 2 Multibit to pair with the Jotunheim, would I still be able to use the balanced output with my headphones? What is the point of the Jotunheim's DAC module having 2 DAC chips instead of the Multibit's 1? I'm guessing I just have to plug the Multibit into the Jotunheim's SE in with RCA, then I can just use my headphones with balanced XLR, correct? 

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #4,285 of 6,472
  If I were to buy a Modi 2 Multibit to pair with the Jotunheim, would I still be able to use the balanced output with my headphones? What is the point of the Jotunheim's DAC module having 2 DAC chips instead of the Multibit's 1? I'm guessing I just have to plug the Multibit into the Jotunheim's SE in with RCA, then I can just use my headphones with balanced XLR, correct? 

Yes that is correct, balanced output will work even when a single ended DAC is used

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #4,287 of 6,472
It does work great and makes perfect sense if you want a Multibit DAC for under $250.00...

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #4,288 of 6,472
It works because of Jason's proprietary Pivot Point topology, which we don't know much about because it's different than traditional amp designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back