Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #13,291 of 23,494
Wow, thanks guys that's great to hear! A tube noob made a good first purchase :) multiple hours of information binging went to good use I guess. I'll let you know whether or not they are noise-free when they arrive.
Ive never heard about any problems with that seller.
You should be good

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #13,292 of 23,494
Cool! Looking forward to testing them out.

I jumped on those Brimar's as well. I think I am starting to get tube fever :L3000: better be careful. The seller tested them on a Hickok. Do you guys think the imbalance in tube 2 going to be an issue? I know the micromhos measurement doesn't tell the whole story, just curious what peoples' real-world experiences have shown.

Tube 1:
Triode 1 - 4600 micromhos
Triode 2 - 4850 micromhos

Tube 2:
Triode 1 - 4600 micromhos
Triode 2 - 5400 micromhos

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #13,293 of 23,494
Doubt you would hear a difference, also take testing with a grain of salt if you do not have a tester. Sellers could be telling the truth or some possibly making numbers up. The only problem tubes I had were Reflektor tubes being noisy. Bought from Russia and Ukraine. Everything else was fine.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #13,296 of 23,494
I'm gonna give the adapter and tubes a chance. Got 3 pairs on the way as well as the adapters . What the heck. Lyr has been collecting dust

Aug 16, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #13,297 of 23,494
Damn took out Siemens CCa in my MJ2 and threw in a pair of `57 Heerlen PW. Talk about different sound sigs.

I've found that the PW's are always a powerful revelation...especially when you've been away from them for awhile.
The TONE. So visceral !!!

Edit: Still waiting on those 396a to 6922 adapters...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #13,298 of 23,494
I've found that the PW's are always a powerful revelation...especially when you've been away from them for awhile.
The TONE. So visceral !!!
Spot on!!

And with my wa2 Bill, the gec 6as7g and PW holland tubes have become easily my standard set up - except if i get the urge for a touch of german precision in there.

There's a tot of tube buying activity that goes on here that some may think is way over the top and crazy. And that buying of tubes is what the gear is all about.

As a hypothetical does one really need four different type of holland tubes with vatious getters and years???We can all be guilty of that with gear. But geez it does get crazy in this kitchen.

(Ive been throwing my money at cables now but that's another story)

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #13,300 of 23,494
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #13,301 of 23,494
Just a heads up tubemuseum has a pair of Tesla E88CC for a low price of $700. Need to sell my PW sets first.
My bad its 3 tubes and a pair of bugle boys, how is this not sold yet???
At it is sold!!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #13,302 of 23,494
So, my Lyr 2 is in the mail, as are my new tubes :)

As of right now, I will have a pair of Valvo E188CC's (Holland, which from what I've read is airy, slightly warm, great bass), a pair of Brimar CV2492's (Britiain, which falls into the "British warmth" category), and the stock GE 6BZ7's (which seems to fall in the category of "stock crap that I can compare all of my expensive tubes to and feel great about my purchases").

Is there a sub $100 set of tubes that fall under the German airy/neutral/accurate label? That is something I'd love to have, but these Telefunken and Siemans tubes are a little out of my budget.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #13,303 of 23,494
They are by far the best Mullards I've ever heard. Congrats.

that is good to hear

they should give me a nice change from the telefunkin e88cc 6922
and I think they're going straight into the new mjolnir 2 and gumby I have on the way

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #13,305 of 23,494
Spot on!!

And with my wa2 Bill, the gec 6as7g and PW holland tubes have become easily my standard set up - except if i get the urge for a touch of german precision in there.

There's a tot of tube buying activity that goes on here that some may think is way over the top and crazy. And that buying of tubes is what the gear is all about.

As a hypothetical does one really need four different type of holland tubes with vatious getters and years???We can all be guilty of that with gear. But geez it does get crazy in this kitchen.

(Ive been throwing my money at cables now but that's another story)

You know how this game goes, Peter. We're all looking for that last little piece of the audio puzzle that delivers us to musical nirvana. Could be that magic pair of Hollands...or Germans...or that $1000 coax cable. Or just maybe that $2500 DAC. You just never know. It could even be a tube you didn't know your amp or DAC even TOOK !!! What was obscenely ridiculous even a couple months (days?) ago is suddenly just a common sense decision. Lmao, you gotta love this schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back