Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #13,351 of 23,494
I just got my Bifrost and Lyr2 setup. I can’t get over how much warmth tubes have added to my music. Currently using the stock tubes (which sound amazing so far). Can’t wait to try some new tubes in it. Any thoughts on what to try next? I have become very partial to Audeze headphones so I’ll be using either my LCD-3’s to listen with it. :o2smile:

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #13,353 of 23,494
Good question. So my sound tastes are across the board. Heavy Metal, Rock, Pop, Blues, & Classical. So what I look for really varies on what I'm listening to at that particular time, if that makes sense. I am, however, trying to break into listening to Jazz. So any recommendations on tubes for those genres (or on any good Jazz albums) will be much appreciated.

Aug 20, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #13,354 of 23,494
Looks like you have some fun ahead of you! Assuming you are putting these into a new Lyr2? If so, congrats, nice amp. : )

That's right! Lyr 2 should arrive tomorrow, then some new tubes later this week, I can't wait :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #13,355 of 23,494
That's right! Lyr 2 should arrive tomorrow, then some new tubes later this week, I can't wait :)

congrats

Im in kind of the same situation as you only I jumped up to the next schiit
I'm waiting on mjolnir 2 and gumby

if you are interested in a bifrost uber let me know
ill be listing my lyr 2 and bifrost sometime in the near future

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #13,356 of 23,494
Good question. So my sound tastes are across the board. Heavy Metal, Rock, Pop, Blues, & Classical. So what I look for really varies on what I'm listening to at that particular time, if that makes sense. I am, however, trying to break into listening to Jazz. So any recommendations on tubes for those genres (or on any good Jazz albums) will be much appreciated.

I know I've said this a bunch of times on this thread but if I had $150 or less to spend and I could only get one pair of tubes I'd go with a Holland-made (could be labeled Philips/Valvo/Amperex/Dario) E188CC. Heerlen, Holland tubes are identified by a delta (triangle) sign in the code etched near the bottom of the tube. The Holland E188CC is the first tube that struck me as 'special' after playing around with quite a few lower-priced attempts at improvement over the stock tubes. They are great all-purpose tubes which work very well with different types of music. Well-balanced and very musical with a touch of warmth...AND the greatest midrange you'll ever hear.
You can find them for $150 or under if you're patient. If that's too much $ you can find Holland-made E88CC pairs for $100 or under.
Happy sailing !!

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #13,357 of 23,494
I know I've said this a bunch of times on this thread but if I had $150 or less to spend and I could only get one pair of tubes I'd go with a Holland-made (could be labeled Philips/Valvo/Amperex/Dario) E188CC. Heerlen, Holland tubes are identified by a delta (triangle) sign in the code etched near the bottom of the tube. The Holland E188CC is the first tube that struck me as 'special' after playing around with quite a few lower-priced attempts at improvement over the stock tubes. They are great all-purpose tubes which work very well with different types of music. Well-balanced and very musical with a touch of warmth...AND the greatest midrange you'll ever hear.
You can find them for $150 or under if you're patient. If that's too much $ you can find Holland-made E88CC pairs for $100 or under.
Happy sailing !!
And ive agreed a bunch of times

As a secondary option around this price if you want to go a goid neutral sound then i vote for the amperex usa military (usn cep) 7308.

And If you want to splurge (about $600) the holland e88cc pinched waist tubes are magical!!!

Add: and the german siemens cca, probably about $300, get you a fantastically rich, dynamic but neutral woth great extension. May come across a bit too aggressive/bright (only) if your system is already teetering on being a tad bright

My tip for new tube rollers is dont go crazy on your purchasing, be selective with what you are after and you'll generally find quite a bit of concensus here from many that have tried tubes and that consensus usually holds true. Eg billerb1, tk16, kolkoo to name but three misfits here :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #13,358 of 23,494

For starters...Miles Davis. "Kind of Blue" 1959.

Enjoy. :)

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #13,359 of 23,494
For starters...Miles Davis. "Kind of Blue" 1959.

Enjoy. :)

Another perfect example of 'if you could only have one'...but not just 'if you could only have one JAZZ album'..."Kind of Blue" would be it if you could only have one album period. Timeless beauty.

EDIT: More jazz in no particular order:
John Coltrane - "Love Supreme", "Giant Steps"
Chick Corea - "The Vigil"
Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior", "Return to Forever"
Christian Scott - "Rewind That"
Manu Katche - "Neighbourhood"
Miles Davis - "Miles Ahead", "Sketches of Spain"
Herbie Hancock - "River - The Joni Letters"
Bill Evans - "You Must Believe in Spring", "Live at the Village Vanguard"
Keith Jarrett - "Koln Concert"

All of these would be time well-spent.
Enjoy !!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #13,360 of 23,494
Another perfect example of 'if you could only have one'...but not just 'if you could only have one JAZZ album'..."Kind of Blue" would be it if you could only have one album period. Timeless beauty.

Bill, as usual...you said it better than me. :)

Listening to it right now...thru some little squatty tubes with yellow writing on them. :wink:

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #13,361 of 23,494

I personally like just about everything done by the Bill Evan's Trio. The album Live At the Village Vanguard is considered a classic, as is Portrait in Jazz. Very chill and atmospheric music. If you want to get a little funky, check out some Herbie Hancock from the early 70's. The album Head Hunters is a landmark in jazz/funk fusion. Charles Mingus is another favorite. Love the albums Mingus Plays Piano (solo piano works, obviously), The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (written as a ballet, one continuous piece), and Mingus Ah Um. I'm no jazz aficionado, but those are a few big names that will at least give you some variety.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #13,362 of 23,494
Happy sailing !!
I just picked up a match pair. I’m looking forward to hearing these bad boys! Ill post an update once I receive them.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #13,364 of 23,494
Bill, as usual...you said it better than me. :)

Listening to it right now...thru some little squatty tubes with yellow writing on them. :wink:

I should be right with you by mid-week if all goes well. I'll probably start off with the Tung Sols cause they are obviously very burned in, lol. You and Sammy seem to really enjoy them so they're a good starting point. I'm guessing I'll tend toward the
JK WE396a's lushness and weight...but those bad boys will need some serious burn-in. Mine don't look like they've ever seen the light of day. Totally pristine. Also have the GE triple mica 5 stars with D Getters.
Bendix will arrive later this week. I just hope they're not expecting anything out of my tired ass at work this week...cause they're gonna get NOTHING !!!!!!!!!
Can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back