Sennheiser IE900 Review, Measurements, & Harman Target Talk
Oct 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,476 of 4,854
The problems with stocking the IE900 is really just that they can only produce 60 a day (limited by the cnc milling machines used) and that they are a crazy success. The demand is a lot higher then anticipated and all that while Sonova wants to move the production to ireland.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,477 of 4,854
I guess I should have sold them for a higher price lol...

Oct 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #2,479 of 4,854
Phoned my dealer on Friday as I'm still waiting for my replacement unit to arrive, been topd its due to arrive next year, shocking news from them. Don't think I can wait for that long, probably have to sell my brise bsep here soon, only used it for 2 hours maybe? Please pm me if anyone is interested in it.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #2,480 of 4,854
Man, who knew these would become a collector's item so soon, lol. Have never gotten burned by not early adopting :sweat_smile:

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2,481 of 4,854
If you didn’t earn money on a set of IE900 you did something wrong.. :ksc75smile:
Lost almost 100 euros for a two day audition... But I don't mind being generous to fellow audiophiles... Up to a point! :)

Oct 3, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #2,482 of 4,854
The problems with stocking the IE900 is really just that they can only produce 60 a day (limited by the cnc milling machines used) and that they are a crazy success. The demand is a lot higher then anticipated and all that while Sonova wants to move the production to ireland.
Uhhh, I didn‘t really follow the Sonova deal story after the original announcement. But what you say sounds a lot different from what I remember - keeping the Wedemark factory intact, realizing synergies there, etc.

Too bad, are we led to think that the Sennheiser consumer audio is getting killed by cost cutting dictatorship? Consider this:
- Problems to just get an IE 900 these days
- Problems to even get a replacement for those units that failed early on
- No hope for a reworking of the IE 900, following the HD 800 to 800 S path - remember that the frequency response of the IE 900 is sort of wrong in several places

But well, I’m still loving my 800 S, and now hope it won‘t ever break …

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #2,483 of 4,854
I really can't see a move of production to Ireland as being a means to reduce costs. Ireland isn't cheap labour and average annual salary actually quite a bit higher than Germany. That coupled with the fact they have an existing production facility here I suspect points to a more strategic reason, which could indeed incorporate a reduction in cost by some other means but I doubt in detriment to the production quality. If they announced a shift to a completely new facility in a cheap labour market, I'd raise an eyebrow but I don't see cause for concern here.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #2,484 of 4,854
Phoned my dealer on Friday as I'm still waiting for my replacement unit to arrive, been topd its due to arrive next year, shocking news from them. Don't think I can wait for that long, probably have to sell my brise bsep here soon, only used it for 2 hours maybe? Please pm me if anyone is interested in it.
Tempting :wink:

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #2,485 of 4,854
I really can't see a move of production to Ireland as being a means to reduce costs. Ireland isn't cheap labour and average annual salary actually quite a bit higher than Germany. That coupled with the fact they have an existing production facility here I suspect points to a more strategic reason, which could indeed incorporate a reduction in cost by some other means but I doubt in detriment to the production quality. If they announced a shift to a completely new facility in a cheap labour market, I'd raise an eyebrow but I don't see cause for concern here.
This sounds a bit more reassuring as compared to my previous interpretation - thanks. I just revisited the original announcements of the Senn/Sonova deal - blue sky feelings all over … I also revisited the CEOs interview here, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-future-of-sennheiser.958354/.

As I lived through times of corporate restructurings and all sorts of cost cuttings as well as all sorts of consultants’ involvement myself, there invariably is one consequence, both for the employees and the customers: Times of unrest, maybe even upheaval, physical and mental adjustments, learning curves, and all sorts of efforts to master any challenges are ahead.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,486 of 4,854
Hey folks can anyone tell me how the ie900 would compare to the sony ier z1, campfire audio solaris 2020/original, u12t and u6t, I want to just buy one as a daiily driver , plus as I live down under the prices here are 20 to 25 percent more that most places for the ie99 costs 2100 bucks, so I really only want to get one so comfort and sound both need to be good, I cannot afford iems such as empire ears odin or legend x which are almost double my budget

Oct 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,487 of 4,854
I know someone who works at the Wedemark facility. He said the plan is moving the whole production to Ireland. The Facility itself stays but no idea what they gonna use it for. HD800s and HDV820 production are already over in the Wedemark. Also there were Ireland workers to learn the production process.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #2,489 of 4,854
So uhhh what's the premium people are paying for them??? Cause i have a line on some but wasn't planning to purchase....
I can just picture you in a dark alley going "hey buddy, can I score you some IE 900?" 😅

Oct 4, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #2,490 of 4,854
Ok just few words on the IE 900 and amp pairing after a month of daily use. I have night and days soundstage presentation skipping from a config to another.

With DAP a SE 200 and a FIIO DX 200 (Not mine) I get a very good result but the soundstage depth is average (tough better in single end termination- with small trade off in width and resolution).

As already mentioned it's soundstage depth performance improve considerably (I insist) with some gear association :

- AUDIRVANA and audio quest COBALT : More body more headroom without details lost
- AUDIRVANA and LUXMAN DA 150 : the most beautiful timbre and texture but loosing a bit of that depth. Totally magical yet for musicality.
- AUDIRVANA with L 509 X headphone jack : not really the best pairing for détails but still better : dismiss
- AUDIRVANA and Cobalt and BURSON HA 160 (as an amp only) : too dark and bassy : dismiss
- AUDIRVANA with a pro sound card with headphone AMP : ARTURIA FUSE : incredibly depth soundstage with perfect layering - it's not far of very good open headphones on that level. Yes I say that.

There is no question a good dedicated amp generate substantials result on the HEADROOM compared to the few DAP I tried (OWN the SE 200) and it is true for every IEM and notably for DD drivers (seems like the LEGEND X or the VE EXT reviewers confirm that).

It is really a personal statement and I haven't heard the TOTL DAP from other brands, but never been crushed with the results considering the price.

I'm trying to deduct some "rules" but not sure. Could impedance matching explains that??

AUDIRVANA offers a significant upgrade to sound quality in every configuration but for soundstage depth arena feelings it is not all the explanation (LUXMAN DA 150)

For exemple the COBALT is better on that level and I doubt it is more powerful than a desktop gear.

Then you have ARTURIA FUSE (600 €) that best them all : the stage is taken back a bit but the imaging on Z axis is just fantastic. Can't stop listening. It is almost like an HD 800 with bass.

So the IE 900 can do that and it seems it is not only a matter of power as I don't assume the COBALT is more powerful than a SE 200. I recently read the HEADPHONIA review wHICH tends to make the same constat. Pairing can go from good to exceptional.

I'm not saying it is not good with DAP it is very good but as with every iem it is a trade off for nomadism goals.. OK for me.

So what is the Hell with such difference in headroom? cause it make the IE 900 a serious open back contender in some case or bring it down to a very good iem but with it's inners flaws in term of soundstage (depth essentially which is more important to me)

Thanks for technicals feedbacks on the topic

Off topic but I've never used the ARTURIA for headphone listening but what a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back