Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #9,046 of 9,648
To my ears, my MDR-Z1R sound perfect, via CU Axios #11284.

Apr 13, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #9,048 of 9,648
My Z1R arrived. Initial impressions were mixed. I definitely hear a tad of 10k, but it is definitely nothing too bothersome. I initially paired it with my iFi iDSD Black Label. I was finding the bass a bit too boomy at first on this setup, so I tried it out balanced on my iFi Go Blu. The bass was tamed a bit there, and it was a pretty enjoyable listen.

I guess I was not too blown away, but I decided to just sit back and listen to a couple full albums. At the end of this, feeling rather relaxed, I decided to pop on my IE600s and wow, while they have great bass, they sounded...empty.

At the end of the day I had enjoyed the Z1Rs, but was having a bit of buyer's remorse on the pricetag. Enter day 2.

Now I approached them with a bit less of an analytical mindset - I just wanted to listen to tunes after work. Back to the Black Label, that boomy bass was gone...I had adjusted with a little brain burn-in, I suppose. Here is where they started to shine.

On some tracks it was the best experience I have ever had on a headphone. There is a certain way they render mids that is just so appealing. The bass is enveloping and warm, but still tight - it reminds me of my towers. The highs are there, but never in your face other than some minor sibilance on certain recordings. The highs do a wonderful job creating subtle spacial cues...these things are really wide, and the soundstage is realistic. On soundstage, I used to own the Focal Clears OG - great headphones but the soundstage was just so odd to me, voices floated above my head for instance, it was distracting.

The Z1R's are not like any headphone I have owned (or tried). You have got to get into their vibe a bit...give your ears a bit of time to get it. Do that and you will be greatly rewarded. I see why some of you guys sold off your collections, these are the music lover's dream headphone. I came in skeptical...now I am just sitting back with a stupid grin on my face.

Apr 13, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #9,049 of 9,648
You need to change your cable and your 10K peak will magically disappear..:)
I have the Kimber Axios and Lavricable silver that everyone raved about. In addition I also have the Final Audio silver plated OFC upgrade cable. They all mask (smooth out) the peak to various degrees but none of them can completely make that zingy character completely disappear. A cable can not completely change the sound character of any headphones. Of course everyone hears differently. Some people are more sensitive than others. Some people may never have heard it. I understand all that. I am not complaining. I actually likes the Z1R with the Final Audio cable very much. I just don't care about the rumor being brought up over and over in this thread. The 10K peak do exist on some recent copies. I bought mine less than 6 months ago.

In reply to @MasterHead, there are definitely individual copies variations exist. Just look at the measurement from Crinacle, only one channel has that prominent 10K peak, the prove is right there. And I believe all headphones/earphones have individual copies variations to some degree. These are analog devices. It's not possible to make "exact" copies technically. I am not disliking the "Sony stlye". I have the IER-Z1R as well, and the TA-ZH1ES. Both Z1Rs sound good to me with the right pairing and right music.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #9,051 of 9,648
Anyway I don't know how much I can trust my hearing... 2 years ago the HD800S were bright for me and stung me with treble. Now they seem great to me and I consider them to be some of the best in my collection.

For sure my attitude also has changed and I'm looking for other aspects in music now. I don't go deep in critical listening anymore. Too much analysis hides the fact of what the headphones are actually for. It's easy to fall into the trap of looking for the best headphones and forget that we were all about listening to music in the first place... Of course I like good sound to enjoy more into music. That's why I like to have several pairs of headphones and change them from time to time. This gives the "headphone game" an added advantage. Because it is fun, after all. Fun in discovering new things, different sounds, different interpretations of favorite songs. And Z1R are some of the best headphones in this regard. Pure fun.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #9,053 of 9,648
I absolutely love my Z1R and i just got the perfect upgrade for them. Im not sure where to talk about this but I just acquired the Pure Silver Kimber Kable Axios (Axios Ag). It is a beautiful cable and because it is made of silver, it is more conductive and sounds better than the stock cable. It has a quite noticeable jump in the speed of the sound and the quality of the timbre. The stock cable doesn’t sound bad, but i can never go back to it.
20DB446F-39CD-486D-AA84-FF88E3B5190B.jpeg

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #9,054 of 9,648
And how does it affect the bass?

I have very good silver cable from Lavricables Grand, but headphone connectors are mini-XLR and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them to 3.5mm to fit the Z1R. I used it with Empyrean before and it was a great matching. Everything was clearer and a bit more resolving. Bass was better controlled, but there was a little less of it.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #9,055 of 9,648
And how does it affect the bass?

I have very good silver cable from Lavricables Grand, but headphone connectors are mini-XLR and I'm wondering if it's worth changing them to 3.5mm to fit the Z1R. I used it with Empyrean before and it was a great matching. Everything was clearer and a bit more resolving. Bass was better controlled, but there was a little less of it.
Bass has better control and there is no loss of bass at all. I’ve tried all three types of Axios and they all have the same amount of bass, some people prefer the copper or hybrid Axios because of the apparent “warmth” of Copper, but with the full silver i haven’t noticed any loss of bass.

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #9,056 of 9,648
i am thinking to buy (again :)) the z1r but this time with an upgrade cable. if i buy a used one, i would like to buy a new pair of the original ear pads (A-2166-862-A and A-2166-863-A). Do you know where i can get them (ideally from Germany)? Otherwise, there is an option to buy it from Rakuten Japan over Buyee for 160 Euro in total.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #9,059 of 9,648
Some one mentioned here that his/her Z1R disnt exhibit the 10kHz peak. I am usinf a modded stock cable reterminat d in 3.5 TRRS on my DMP-Z1 single ended, while thw peak is still there, it is greatly reduced to a bearable level

May 11, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #9,060 of 9,648
I just finished watching an episode of a TV series, looks like my Z1R will be spending the night elsewhere.

20230511_232947.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back