Spirit Torino Valkyria
May 2, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #601 of 1,101
May 2, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #603 of 1,101
Having read the posts above discussing the ability of Pulsar an Valkyria to reproduce sub-bass and their not being, in the opinion of many, the best match for EDM/synthesized music and the like, I would like to observe that most Spirit Torino headphones, and especially their top of the line models, have been designed with one main objective in mind: to reproduce live music and studio recordings of analog sound, as faithfully as possible. Synthesized/EDM being by definition not live, and the product of digital sound, does not lend itself to be best reproduced by such highly detailed and natural sounding headphones.

May 2, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #604 of 1,101
For another type of piano/instrumental rendition, I have a few recommendations

1683023603978.jpeg

shareables

6988-1207066480.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

May 2, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #605 of 1,101
May 5, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #606 of 1,101
20230505_123004.jpg

New fodder for the Pulsar.
Now in conjunction with the Envy

The goodness continues:
20230505_195558.jpg

20230505_201620.jpg
20230505_201735.jpg
20230505_201813.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #607 of 1,101
Thanks to my good friend @msq123 he kindly lent me the valkyria to listen to at home with my own systems. I will report back next week my findings after I've spent more time with them.

May 7, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #608 of 1,101
Speaking about magnificent piano recordings, of various genres, here are a few of my favorites, especially in terms of their techincal ability to capture piano sound and dynamics. As I have mentioned too many times here, the Valkyria are the piano lover's best friends :)

1683455344579.png

Cover_1000.webp

NS0yMTkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

054536872228-cover-zoom.jpg

OC00Njc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

May 7, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #609 of 1,101
Wonderful @simorag !
Adding to the above, I can recommended the Delos recording of Carol Rosenberger, with the wonderful sounding Bosendorfer imperial grand piano:
DE3460.jpg

May 9, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #610 of 1,101
Pulsar has finally arrived! For various reasons, the wait was around 2 months for me. Got them yesterday and have been listening off and on since then. First impressions were.... not expected. As I continue to listen, it seems like I'm about to throw a big rock into everyone's blissful pond here because I thoroughly am not hearing the appeal of the Pulsar. For starters, everyone is right regarding these not being ideal headphones for any bass heavy music. There is essentially no sub bass to speak of, and bass is rendered as more punchy than deep. Aside from that, my confusion lies in the overall tonality of these. I'm hearing highs that sound slightly tinny and mids and bass that can be a bit muddy, boomy and even boxy. As I also have the Super Leggera on hand, I can hear the family resemblance, as that headphone also has those qualities. But I assumed that going from their entry level to one below flagship, things would dramatically improve in all areas, including realism. I'm not hearing it. I've purposely veered away from all the electronica I like and am strictly listening to low-fi acoustic with female and male vocals, mostly in the folk and indie genres. Also throwing in a little jazz. I don't generally listen to classical. So far, these have been a mystery. My 1000se and ES-R10 are much more convincing and involving. I can't get away from the general boxiness of the sound. Since I've never heard anyone mention any of what I'm describing, my first thought is a synergy issue with Spirit headphones and my amp. I've got more time for evaluation and I'll continue to listen. I can't imagine break in will change things significantly however. I know @ThanatosVI had his initial reservations, but seems like he's come around to appreciation. I'm not sure I'll get there. I wish I had another amp to try, but alas not the case.

May 10, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #611 of 1,101
Pulsar has finally arrived! For various reasons, the wait was around 2 months for me. Got them yesterday and have been listening off and on since then. First impressions were.... not expected. As I continue to listen, it seems like I'm about to throw a big rock into everyone's blissful pond here because I thoroughly am not hearing the appeal of the Pulsar. For starters, everyone is right regarding these not being ideal headphones for any bass heavy music. There is essentially no sub bass to speak of, and bass is rendered as more punchy than deep. Aside from that, my confusion lies in the overall tonality of these. I'm hearing highs that sound slightly tinny and mids and bass that can be a bit muddy, boomy and even boxy. As I also have the Super Leggera on hand, I can hear the family resemblance, as that headphone also has those qualities. But I assumed that going from their entry level to one below flagship, things would dramatically improve in all areas, including realism. I'm not hearing it. I've purposely veered away from all the electronica I like and am strictly listening to low-fi acoustic with female and male vocals, mostly in the folk and indie genres. Also throwing in a little jazz. I don't generally listen to classical. So far, these have been a mystery. My 1000se and ES-R10 are much more convincing and involving. I can't get away from the general boxiness of the sound. Since I've never heard anyone mention any of what I'm describing, my first thought is a synergy issue with Spirit headphones and my amp. I've got more time for evaluation and I'll continue to listen. I can't imagine break in will change things significantly however. I know @ThanatosVI had his initial reservations, but seems like he's come around to appreciation. I'm not sure I'll get there. I wish I had another amp to try, but alas not the case.
Thanks for sharing your Impressions.
Sorry to hear you had to wait that long. (I know the feeling from the Corina - still waiting)

I didn't as much come around tho, I just restrict myself to using them only for music they do well, like piano Soundtracks.
Even after burn in they are horrible for Bass driven music. I'm not sure what "low-fi acoustic" is but still expect some noteable bass content in that Genre - which makes the Pulsar unsuited for this as well.
Can you post an example track

If I wouldn't have a collection able to cover everything, I'd have instantly returned the Pulsar. Now my return Window is nearly over and I keep them, at least for a while.

When money gets tight for New releases, the Pulsar would be the First to go again.
Just like the Solitaire P, mainly due to comfort, which is just "ok" and the resale value being so high compared to all the rest of my inventory.

May 10, 2023 at 5:19 AM Post #612 of 1,101
I really appreciate the honest opinion. Pulsar new or Valkyrie used have been on my radar for some time and too often when people acquire new gear they are over the top with praise (I’m often guilty of new toy syndrome myself). Most of the negative views on products are from people’s impressions at shows or completely uninformed and not really that useful. Not to say that these headphones may still be great for certain genres and tastes but it’s so useful to get a counter view. Especially as I live at the bottom of the world with extremely limited ability to audition gear before buying (and it’s even harder for me to sell gear that I don’t like). Hope they improve for you overtime nonetheless.

May 11, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #613 of 1,101
Thanks to my good friend @msq123 he kindly lent me the valkyria to listen to at home with my own systems. I will report back next week my findings after I've spent more time with them.

Hello my friend, do you already have some initial Listening impressions to share with us ? :wink: many thanks in advance.

May 11, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #614 of 1,101
I'm not sure what "low-fi acoustic" is but still expect some noteable bass content in that Genre - which makes the Pulsar unsuited for this as well.
Can you post an example track

Sorry, when I said 'low-fi" acoustic I meant more sparse arrangements and uncomplicated recording, not necessarily low quality if that makes sense. For example tracks, I played a variety of things. In Roon I chose genres like indie folk, folk, vocal etc. Pick any album by the ubiquitous Melody Gardot or Norah Jones for instance. Honestly, anything in the vocal genre is better served with my other headphones. Comparatively, these sound boxed in and a bit compressed. I guess I'm the only one? I thought I might get more opinions. The only thing I can think is a lot more burn in is needed (which is the only thing I can do), or a mismatch with my amp, but I've never heard something so initially off like this from my current rig.

May 13, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #615 of 1,101
Goosebump listen of the day.

Shostakovich had a really troubled life, and his controversial, stoic, movingly heroic relationship with tyranny reached a sublime, terrible culmination with his tenth symphony, premiered just a few months after the Stalin's death in 1953.

This recording is dark, oppressive, cavernous. It grabs you into a whirlwind of raging emotions, portrayed within a immense, enveloping mass of sound. Hefty cellos and double bass obsessive poundings, blaring horns, violent percussions alternate with ominous, mysterious, syncopated string paint brushed motifs.

All colors and powers of the orchestra are masterfully called to tell a story of human rebellion against the force of organized evil, yelled at, derided and ultimately overpowered triumphantly.

What an exhausting and exhilarating musical journey of the soul!

1683997638182.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back