Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #601 of 645
In a world where the black knob Variations V6 exists, I just don't see the M3X as a competitive choice anymore. The only reason to get an M3X would be if you preferred the sleek form factor over the edgy sharp case of the V6.

The HiBy Player in the V6 is outstanding. Not only does the V6 have system-wide MSEB, but the HiBy player has parametric EQ. You can import text files in the APO format for any headphone that has been measured. This is a killer feature the non-Android DAPs can't match, unless we are talking about expensive DAPs that dual boot Android and MangoOS (e.g. iBasso and Lotoo).
I never used an equalizer on my DAP's so not really something I am looking for. MSEB is interesting but again my preference is to not use and sound altering features if possible.

I am looking for the best DAP's in my price range and the M3X will be just outside it on sale. Not sure how much the V6 will be but again I am looking for the best DAP I can afford so it may not be the best DAP option if the price is to high. The ratings for the V6 on amazon.com are pretty low and the price all in would be almost $600 CDN from amazon which is the safest purchasing option. I would likely then take the V3 over the V6 based on my needs and price alone if I chose not to get the M3X. The V6 isn't that much newer than the M3X.

The DAP market has really dried up in Toronto and it is almost impossible to demo DAP's anymore. So I am stuck going off of reviews and user feedback on these forums.

The big issue with Tempotec is the non-existent customer support combined with unknown QC of their DAP's. Not sure I want to roll the dice and spend my budget on a DAP only to be stuck with it if it is a lemon. I have owned Shanling DAP's and have not had any QC issues with any of them. Another reason to trust an M3X based on my previous experience. I have no experience with Hiby or Tempotec DAP's and Shanling has been in the audio gear business since 1988 vs just a few years for Hiby and even less for Tempotec. Android would be something I would live with having vs actually wanting it on a DAP. Also the M3X has Prime Mode which is likely what I would use 99% of the time to avoid android as much as possible.

I might still hold fire on a new DAP until Black Friday and hopefully more feedback on the V3 as reviews are still pretty scarce for it. The only ones I can find on youtube are not in english. If the V6 price comes down by then it may be an option but at its current price it is just to expensive for me.

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #603 of 645
I never used an equalizer on my DAP's so not really something I am looking for. MSEB is interesting but again my preference is to not use and sound altering features if possible.

I am looking for the best DAP's in my price range and the M3X will be just outside it on sale. Not sure how much the V6 will be but again I am looking for the best DAP I can afford so it may not be the best DAP option if the price is to high. The ratings for the V6 on amazon.com are pretty low and the price all in would be almost $600 CDN from amazon which is the safest purchasing option. I would likely then take the V3 over the V6 based on my needs and price alone if I chose not to get the M3X. The V6 isn't that much newer than the M3X.

The DAP market has really dried up in Toronto and it is almost impossible to demo DAP's anymore. So I am stuck going off of reviews and user feedback on these forums.

The big issue with Tempotec is the non-existent customer support combined with unknown QC of their DAP's. Not sure I want to roll the dice and spend my budget on a DAP only to be stuck with it if it is a lemon. I have owned Shanling DAP's and have not had any QC issues with any of them. Another reason to trust an M3X based on my previous experience. I have no experience with Hiby or Tempotec DAP's and Shanling has been in the audio gear business since 1988 vs just a few years for Hiby and even less for Tempotec. Android would be something I would live with having vs actually wanting it on a DAP. Also the M3X has Prime Mode which is likely what I would use 99% of the time to avoid android as much as possible.

I might still hold fire on a new DAP until Black Friday and hopefully more feedback on the V3 as reviews are still pretty scarce for it. The only ones I can find on youtube are not in english. If the V6 price comes down by then it may be an option but at its current price it is just to expensive for me.
I have Shanling DAPs, too. I agree, my two are quite nice. Aside from a disfunctional volume dial on my M5S, they’ve been rock solid.

Why didn’t you pull the trigger and purchase the M1S, if you don’t mind me asking?

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #604 of 645

Equalize is useless if you use files in format DSD or MQA. Having PEQ is good if you want to play with you music. MSEB is the same.

M3X is not good right now, or at least I don't think so. Range DAPs of 400 bucks are equally as external DACs of 150USD in quality sound. In that case, the Fiio M11S or the Shanling M3U if you apply coupons could be better for you. The Fiio has the music mode, which only use the music app as main UI, but still is Android. You cannot avoid it, is the OS.

The V6 is gonna be 246 USD. I'm gonna buy it to compare it against the V3. A guy from south America has a blog where he already wrote a review. He says V6 is still better. But according with some other opinions is inevitable not thinking in some problems like the volume wheel stop working or the heat of the device. V6 is a cheap device, but much better than the M3X if sound is your priority. May be the V6 is not for first timers...

I think you are looking for something portable as your options are little pocket DAPs. V3 is the best option in my opinion, but Shanling M1S is prettier and the Hiby R3II is more portable.

I think you won't regret if you buy any of those three. They are made to sound better than any smartphone or laptop.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #605 of 645
I have Shanling DAPs, too. I agree, my two are quite nice. Aside from a disfunctional volume dial on my M5S, they’ve been rock solid.

Why didn’t you pull the trigger and purchase the M1S, if you don’t mind me asking?
Believe me the M1S was my first option when I thought about another DAP, the major delay for the release softened my interest for sure. But based on reviews the treble can be a little hot and unforgiving and even sharp at times. Generally DAP's with this kind of tuning don't pair well with warm sounding headphones. So it would not pair well with my current NAD Viso HP50's and 30's which sound amazing with my Sony A55 and custom firmare with Sony's signature warm sound. The price is also a little high compared to the R3-II and even the V3. It also has a smaller screen and I have never been a huge fan of the MTouch OS. I have also found the font size they use is simply to large for the small screens and love the adjustable font size for the Hiby OS based DAP's.

I have alot of experience selling audio gear and for the last 25+ years in computer networking. So I have dealt with alot of startup's like Tempotec and from my experience they go through alot of growing pains. First developing the products and then figuring out the manufacturing process. QC is always the biggest hurdle for these companies to overcome and nailing down a solid manufacturing process, some even use OEM manufacturers at least initially to make the units. Shanling, Sony and even Cayin have this stuff nailed having been manufacturing audio gear for decades. Hiby and Tempotec not so much. Hiby has made great strides for sure but I think Tempotec is still in the embryonic stage. They still give me the most apprehension when purchasing their products and I therefore want to take the safest route to buying their products. That means amazon is the best option if I can import from the US vs China.

The V3 is not yet for sale on amazon so not a safe option to purchase right now. I really like the V6 and I have been skimming that thread quite a bit. Interestingly the posts I have found comparing it to the M3X seem to indicate it holds own against the V6 and yes is a more portable option than the V6. Right now I would be looking at $336 CDN for the M3X and roughly $575 CDN for the V6 from amazon. I can't imagine the V6 is worth $240 more, and mainly because I am less worried about importing the M3X from China vs the V6 right now so aliexpress even on sale gives me pause.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #606 of 645

if you are concerned about QC Hiby R3 II is very well build dap it's not as powerful as v3 but still amazing little dap i find myself using it more and more over v3 and honestly i can't tell the difference between the two i think R3 II is much better then M1s

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #607 of 645
Equalize is useless if you use files in format DSD or MQA. Having PEQ is good if you want to play with you music. MSEB is the same.

M3X is not good right now, or at least I don't think so. Range DAPs of 400 bucks are equally as external DACs of 150USD in quality sound. In that case, the Fiio M11S or the Shanling M3U if you apply coupons could be better for you. The Fiio has the music mode, which only use the music app as main UI, but still is Android. You cannot avoid it, is the OS.

The V6 is gonna be 246 USD. I'm gonna buy it to compare it against the V3. A guy from south America has a blog where he already wrote a review. He says V6 is still better. But according with some other opinions is inevitable not thinking in some problems like the volume wheel stop working or the heat of the device. V6 is a cheap device, but much better than the M3X if sound is your priority. May be the V6 is not for first timers...

I think you are looking for something portable as your options are little pocket DAPs. V3 is the best option in my opinion, but Shanling M1S is prettier and the Hiby R3II is more portable.

I think you won't regret if you buy any of those three. They are made to sound better than any smartphone or laptop.
Tempotec reminds me a bit of Fiio when they first started making DAP's. I bought the X1 and returned it and then the X3 and returned it due to so many bugs and issues. I didn't try another Fiio DAP for years until I bought an M7 which wasn't great and then a somewhat better M9. I am now wary of buying first run DAP's from Chinese companies so maybe I am not giving Tempotec a fair shot.

The V6 will be on sale for $321 CDN and I thought about it but then I read the V6 thread and only 16 pages in 1.5 years and complaints about headphone jacks and sound cutting out and thought better of it. I keep looking at the R3-II but I like the hardware design of the V3 and I am tempted to wait a little longer (Black Friday) to see if it is worth buying. I like the idea of supporting new DAP makers to keep the options available and I think Tempotec could be a really good DAP maker given the time. I am also wondering about the reported V3-D and that being a second version of the V3 might be worth grabbing having the kinks worked out of the V3.

Still debating a purchase from aliexpress sale on the R3-II or whether to just wait until Black Friday and see what else is out there.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #608 of 645
Tempotec reminds me a bit of Fiio when they first started making DAP's. I bought the X1 and returned it and then the X3 and returned it due to so many bugs and issues. I didn't try another Fiio DAP for years until I bought an M7 which wasn't great and then a somewhat better M9. I am now wary of buying first run DAP's from Chinese companies so maybe I am not giving Tempotec a fair shot.

The V6 will be on sale for $321 CDN and I thought about it but then I read the V6 thread and only 16 pages in 1.5 years and complaints about headphone jacks and sound cutting out and thought better of it. I keep looking at the R3-II but I like the hardware design of the V3 and I am tempted to wait a little longer (Black Friday) to see if it is worth buying. I like the idea of supporting new DAP makers to keep the options available and I think Tempotec could be a really good DAP maker given the time. I am also wondering about the reported V3-D and that being a second version of the V3 might be worth grabbing having the kinks worked out of the V3.

Still debating a purchase from aliexpress sale on the R3-II or whether to just wait until Black Friday and see what else is out there.
I know what you're saying. I have the Fiio M7 too. It is a good DAP in terms of performance and sound for its year, but if you want something "better", why don't you buy a Walkman A306?

I was thinking on buying the V6 in a couple of hours, but as you say it has reported a lot of problems, so may be I'm buying some IEMs instead. I'm trying to get something better than my Fiio M11 Plus LTD for a reasonable price. The last time V6 was in my hands, I didn't like the sensation. But V3 has my heart. So, may be V6 deserves a chance.

It has been three months since I got the V3 and there were minor bugs like UI frozen and not stable volume with the 0.X versions. The 1.0 fix all of that (at least I haven't experimented again any). Hope next update increase battery life. V3-D is not a DAP itself, is just a complement for external DACs.

Personally, I'd avoid volume wheels in budget and middle range DAPs, they tend to fail... Just like my old M7.

Update: you can buy the V6 for 224 USD and V3 for 162USD

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #609 of 645
I know what you're saying. I have the Fiio M7 too. It is a good DAP in terms of performance and sound for its year, but if you want something "better", why don't you buy a Walkman A306?

I was thinking on buying the V6 in a couple of hours, but as you say it has reported a lot of problems, so may be I'm buying some IEMs instead. I'm trying to get something better than my Fiio M11 Plus LTD for a reasonable price. The last time V6 was in my hands, I didn't like the sensation. But V3 has my heart. So, may be V6 deserves a chance.

It has been three months since I got the V3 and there were minor bugs like UI frozen and not stable volume with the 0.X versions. The 1.0 fix all of that (at least I haven't experimented again any). Hope next update increase battery life. V3-D is not a DAP itself, is just a complement for external DACs.

Personally, I'd avoid volume wheels in budget and middle range DAPs, they tend to fail... Just like my old M7.
Thanks for the feeback on the V3 just went on sale for $230.15 CDN. I am at a clients site right now doing a server install, I think I will pull the trigger on the V3 in the morning when I get home based on your recommendation, if it is it still available that is :beyersmile:

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #610 of 645
Thanks for the feeback on the V3 just went on sale for $230.15 CDN. I am at a clients site right now doing a server install, I think I will pull the trigger on the V3 in the morning when I get home based on your recommendation, if it is it still available that is :beyersmile:
Remember to apply coupons to decrease the price! It doesn't matter if you go for the V3 or the R3II, both are on sale :)

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #611 of 645
Remember to apply coupons to decrease the price! It doesn't matter if you go for the V3 or the R3II, both are on sale :)
Way ahead of you there is a $15 CDN coupon I can apply and I get another discount when I login through my rakuten.ca account. Yeah I saw the R3-II on sale but for the extra $35 for the V3 with the larger battery and better DAC chips (prefer AKM DAC's) makes the price difference worth it.

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #612 of 645
Way ahead of you there is a $15 CDN coupon I can apply and I get another discount when I login through my rakuten.ca account. Yeah I saw the R3-II on sale but for the extra $35 for the V3 with the larger battery and better DAC chips (prefer AKM DAC's) makes the price difference worth it.
Destiny smiles you with good prices. Enjoy the V3 as all we do!

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #613 of 645
I am also wondering about the reported V3-D and that being a second version of the V3 might be worth grabbing having the kinks worked out of the V3.

It's not really going to be a second version. The V3-D is only a digital transport, without a built-in DAC/Amp. Think of it as being similar to the xDuoo X10T II. It will have USB and S/PDIF coax outputs at a minimum. So don't wait on the V3-D.

Mar 18, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #614 of 645
It's not really going to be a second version. The V3-D is only a digital transport, without a built-in DAC/Amp. Think of it as being similar to the xDuoo X10T II. It will have USB and S/PDIF coax outputs at a minimum. So don't wait on the V3-D.
Just for reference (old references... :ksc75smile:), Tempotec did the same thing with their V1 (digital transport only) and V1A (digital transport + DAC/Amp) DAPs.
I have a V1A (AK4377 if I remember correctly), and last time I checked, it was still working perfectly fine!
I have read--unconfirmed source--that Tempotec has been an OEM for other brands for quite some time before launching their own products.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #615 of 645
Destiny smiles you with good prices. Enjoy the V3 as all we do!
No joy unfortunately, the wife put a stop to my purchase. She reminded me I was planning on getting a new big screen tv on Black Friday so I had to choose between the DAP or the TV and I need the TV more. I argued I would take the cost of the DAP out of the TV budget but she wasn't persuaded by that agrument. I love my life but sometimes she can be a real buzz kill!!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back