Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #586 of 645
Mine does not hiss with any external amplifier that I've tried, oppositely - I think that when V3 is connected to an external amp, it helps to reveal its AKM DAC sweet sound and musicality even more, and sound become even higher quality/price ratio. One of the best daps that I've ever had according to price/sound quality. Very happy with my V3, enjoying music with my big headphones when connected to an external amp.
yep when paired with external amp this small dap sounds even better i tried it with my Topping L30II, FiiO K5 Pro AKM version as amp only and IFI Zen Can and i've never experienced any hiss it may be unit variant cause i've seen few others having this issue

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #587 of 645
Pretty much sold on getting the V3 now just waiting for amazon to carry it so I don't have to import from China. It shows up in a search on amazon.com but as of now they only have the V6. Hopefully that will change in the next few months.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #589 of 645
Definitely don't want to order direct from Tempotec!

I just took the time to read their product return policy and basically you buy it you keep it. If you buy it and you dont like it, tough cookies you are stuck with it unless you pay an arm and a leg to return it. Will definitely only buy it if I can get it from amazon at some point.

Given that you can't demo one before you buy it this return policy does not work for me!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #590 of 645
Pretty much sold on getting the V3 now just waiting for amazon to carry it so I don't have to import from China. It shows up in a search on amazon.com but as of now they only have the V6. Hopefully that will change in the next few months.

What do you like about the V3 compared to the R3 II or the Shanling M1S?

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #591 of 645
i have both v3 and R3 II and i can tell you they are almost identical R3 II is definitely much smaller with a smaller battery alot more portable and when it comes to sound they both sound amazing
i've seen some ppl say v3 sounds better and when i got R3 II at first i thought it sounded flat but after i used it some more they both sound almost identical v3 is more powerful then R3 II and it's better for headphones but if you use it for IEMs only it dosn't really make much difference no matter which one you get they both sound great with external amps too
i use R3 II when i want something more portable and v3 usually when i'm at my desk

Mar 15, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #592 of 645
I like the fact they went with AKM DAC's as all the latest DAP's I have considered are using ESS mostly 9219C. Also the fact it is a newer AKM DAC with their velvet sound vs the much older 9219C. Based on my research Tempotec is a real audiophile DAP company focusing on producing great hardware for the money with some very talented multinational audio engineers involved.

I have looked at the V6 as well but not really wanting android. It gets rave reviews for sound quality and the V3 is suppose to sound very close to it.

I was looking at the M1S but not thrilled by the sound signature and the R3-II is reviewed to sound a little anemic by some. The V3 I think would fit between them in terms of sound signature.

Based on the reviews I think the V3 would be the best non-android based DAP for sound quality in my price range. The biggest issue to buying it is having to order it from Tempotec directly with their restricted return policy. If it doesn't become available on amazon then the R3-II is the next best option. The M1S is for sale in Canada but not sure I will like the sound tuning based on reviews so far.

Edit: I also like that there is another non-android DAP option out there besides what Hiby and Shanling are offering. I am always looking for the best sounding non-android DAP I can find and love the Hiby RS2 in theory but it is priced to high for me. Hoping to still see a Shanling M1S pro for example with a larger screen and buttons back on the side and less aggressive tuning and where Hiby will go next with the R3 series.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #593 of 645
so i left my v3 for one week without using it completely turned off with 34% battery and now i can't even turn it on when i plugged it the battery was at 0% so something is using power which is strange never happened before when i had it turned off for few days so i suggest don't leave it for long time without checking it cause you may not be able to revive it later
mine is charging now

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #594 of 645
so i left my v3 for one week without using it completely turned off with 34% battery and now i can't even turn it on when i plugged it the battery was at 0% so something is using power which is strange never happened before when i had it turned off for few days so i suggest don't leave it for long time without checking it cause you may not be able to revive it later
mine is charging now

Try pressing and holding the power wheel for a long time and see what happens

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #595 of 645
I like the fact they went with AKM DAC's as all the latest DAP's I have considered are using ESS mostly 9219C. Also the fact it is a newer AKM DAC with their velvet sound vs the much older 9219C. Based on my research Tempotec is a real audiophile DAP company focusing on producing great hardware for the money with some very talented multinational audio engineers involved.

I have looked at the V6 as well but not really wanting android. It gets rave reviews for sound quality and the V3 is suppose to sound very close to it.

I was looking at the M1S but not thrilled by the sound signature and the R3-II is reviewed to sound a little anemic by some. The V3 I think would fit between them in terms of sound signature.

Based on the reviews I think the V3 would be the best non-android based DAP for sound quality in my price range. The biggest issue to buying it is having to order it from Tempotec directly with their restricted return policy. If it doesn't become available on amazon then the R3-II is the next best option. The M1S is for sale in Canada but not sure I will like the sound tuning based on reviews so far.

Edit: I also like that there is another non-android DAP option out there besides what Hiby and Shanling are offering. I am always looking for the best sounding non-android DAP I can find and love the Hiby RS2 in theory but it is priced to high for me. Hoping to still see a Shanling M1S pro for example with a larger screen and buttons back on the side and less aggressive tuning and where Hiby will go next with the R3 series.
What I've read is that M1S is more musical against the Hiby, and some audiophiles like "Vivir digital" has recommended me Hiby R3II over the M1S and the AP80 Pro X having the sponsorship of those three brands in his side. I think that R3II is dedicated to give a better sensation in frequencies, offering a better separation and a clear image.
Now, according to my experience, having an old Fiio M7 and a Fiio M11 PLUS LTD, I know how those "musical sensation" and a flat line are (also I've tried Fiio M15S and Tempotec V6).
I like the V3 because the same points I wrote for the R3II. It has a musical warm sound, but having emphasis on the middle range. So voices, guitars, claps, drums, etc., sound very detailed without tiring the ears. Image is good, not enormous like the Fiios or its big bro, but instruments are well positioned, even better than the M11 LTD. Against the M7, it is in the past already. Sound is clamsy and not enjoyable after hearing better things.
I still have the doubt about how it is against the R3II. I don't buy it because if V3 is better for my ears, I'll regret. The specs of the V3 are just better: better DACs, better amps, more power and all you can see on Tempotec webpage.
So, for what I speculate is that M1S is more expensive because it seems that has a better sensation and a more expensive process of fabrication. Shanling build well its things.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #596 of 645
What I've read is that M1S is more musical against the Hiby, and some audiophiles like "Vivir digital" has recommended me Hiby R3II over the M1S and the AP80 Pro X having the sponsorship of those three brands in his side. I think that R3II is dedicated to give a better sensation in frequencies, offering a better separation and a clear image.
Now, according to my experience, having an old Fiio M7 and a Fiio M11 PLUS LTD, I know how those "musical sensation" and a flat line are (also I've tried Fiio M15S and Tempotec V6).
I like the V3 because the same points I wrote for the R3II. It has a musical warm sound, but having emphasis on the middle range. So voices, guitars, claps, drums, etc., sound very detailed without tiring the ears. Image is good, not enormous like the Fiios or its big bro, but instruments are well positioned, even better than the M11 LTD. Against the M7, it is in the past already. Sound is clamsy and not enjoyable after hearing better things.
I still have the doubt about how it is against the R3II. I don't buy it because if V3 is better for my ears, I'll regret. The specs of the V3 are just better: better DACs, better amps, more power and all you can see on Tempotec webpage.
So, for what I speculate is that M1S is more expensive because it seems that has a better sensation and a more expensive process of fabrication. Shanling build well its things.
Yes in terms of hardware the M1S has a newer X2000 SOC and a higher end ESS DAC. My issue with it is that reviews say it isn't good with warm sounding headphones and the treble can be a little sharp with some types of music. I really love the warm detailed sound of my A55 with custom firmware with my NAD Viso HP50 and HP 30 headphones. By far the best sounding headphone/DAP combos I have ever had. The M1S sounds like a departure from that and the V3 and R3-II seem more inline with that tuning. Not mention MSEB for tweaking the sound if need be.

I often wish Shanling had stuck with the Hiby OS instead of doing their own thing. Having MSEB on the M1S would make it a much better option for me. Alot of Hiby and Shanling DAP's are going on sale on March 18 at 0300 EST on aliexpress (anniversary sale). I would be able to grab an R3-II for around $204 CDN and the V3 will be on sale as well though not sure yet what that price will be. I wasn't planning on buying a DAP until Black Friday but it might be hard to resist buying now. The long term reliability of the V3 is still an unknown being such a new DAP which is at least partly why I wanted to wait until Black Friday before deciding, that and to see if there are any new releases before then.

Another wildcard could be the Shanling M3X which will be on sale for around $336.00 CDN. I have looked at it so many times since its release but it was always priced a little to high for me. At that price it could be an interesting option. Yes it is android but I would only be using it for local storage and the SE single/Dual DAC option is nice. The battery life is great, and the larger screen would be great too not to mention 32 GB onboard storage. My 512 GB card is almost full and going with the R3-II or V3 would also require the purchase of a 1 TB card. The 32 GB with the M3X could push that purchase down the road to maybe Black Friday. Yes the M3X is a few years old now but at least it is a known entity and a low risk purchase vs the QC uncertainty still of the V3 which might only be $60 to $70 less than the M3X on sale.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #597 of 645
Yes in terms of hardware the M1S has a newer X2000 SOC and a higher end ESS DAC. My issue with it is that reviews say it isn't good with warm sounding headphones and the treble can be a little sharp with some types of music. I really love the warm detailed sound of my A55 with custom firmware with my NAD Viso HP50 and HP 30 headphones. By far the best sounding headphone/DAP combos I have ever had. The M1S sounds like a departure from that and the V3 and R3-II seem more inline with that tuning. Not mention MSEB for tweaking the sound if need be.

I often wish Shanling had stuck with the Hiby OS instead of doing their own thing. Having MSEB on the M1S would make it a much better option for me. Alot of Hiby and Shanling DAP's are going on sale on March 18 at 0300 EST on aliexpress (anniversary sale). I would be able to grab an R3-II for around $204 CDN and the V3 will be on sale as well though not sure yet what that price will be. I wasn't planning on buying a DAP until Black Friday but it might be hard to resist buying now. The long term reliability of the V3 is still an unknown being such a new DAP which is at least partly why I wanted to wait until Black Friday before deciding, that and to see if there are any new releases before then.

Another wildcard could be the Shanling M3X which will be on sale for around $336.00 CDN. I have looked at it so many times since its release but it was always priced a little to high for me. At that price it could be an interesting option. Yes it is android but I would only be using it for local storage and the SE single/Dual DAC option is nice. The battery life is great, and the larger screen would be great too not to mention 32 GB onboard storage. My 512 GB card is almost full and going with the R3-II or V3 would also require the purchase of a 1 TB card. The 32 GB with the M3X could push that purchase down the road to maybe Black Friday. Yes the M3X is a few years old now but at least it is a known entity and a low risk purchase vs the QC uncertainty still of the V3 which might only be $60 to $70 less than the M3X on sale.
It doesn't matter that M1S has a desktop DAC if its profile or frequencies to the ears are not enjoyable. Most of how music systems sound depends on other factors like filters, the amps, crystal oscillators, transistors and more things I don't have idea what they are.
For example, Surfans F35, Fiio M11 S and the Topping DX3 Pro Plus share the same DAC as the M1S and I bet that the Topping is much better than any of those.
So, may the M1S could offer a better performance, a better quality construction, but a better sound is hard to say it if people recommend the R3ii over the M1S.
Just hope all they be at the same level of music performance, because if not, it doesn't have any case that they still being on the market (chi-fi goes fast).
V3 feels solid in the hand. Not the best sensation, but still pretty well. At least for me I prefer it over having a volume wheel.
As you say, you can buy the R3ii for one of its best price of history these days. But also V3 was even a little cheaper when I got it.
Personally , I wouldn't buy the M3X 😬.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #598 of 645
In a world where the black knob Variations V6 exists, I just don't see the M3X as a competitive choice anymore. The only reason to get an M3X would be if you preferred the sleek form factor over the edgy sharp case of the V6.

The HiBy Player in the V6 is outstanding. Not only does the V6 have system-wide MSEB, but the HiBy player has parametric EQ. You can import text files in the APO format for any headphone that has been measured. This is a killer feature the non-Android DAPs can't match, unless we are talking about expensive DAPs that dual boot Android and MangoOS (e.g. iBasso and Lotoo).

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #599 of 645
Thank you. I have now contacted both the shop where I ordered the V3 ( in Shopee) and Tempotec CS email. I hope they respond as soon as possible. It's quite a bummer as I liked the sound but got a QC issue. To think that I didn't order an Zishan Z4 and instead ordered the Tempotec V3 to avoid QC issue, and get an QC issue on my Tempotec V3 is quite the irony isn't it? Such is life.
Update: Tempotec still hasn't replied to me lmao. Are their emails on their website the only way to reach them? Or is there an easier way to do so?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back