Tempotec V3 DAP - small, powerful, functional with Hiby OS
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #616 of 645
Just for reference (old references... :ksc75smile:), Tempotec did the same thing with their V1 (digital transport only) and V1A (digital transport + DAC/Amp) DAPs.
I have a V1A (AK4377 if I remember correctly), and last time I checked, it was still working perfectly fine!
I have read--unconfirmed source--that Tempotec has been an OEM for other brands for quite some time before launching their own products.
Their site says Tempotec has been making products since 2005. I like the fact that like Shanling, Sony and Cayin they had a background in making audio products before making DAP's. Unlike Fiio who started off making OEM smartphones and Hiby making software.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:44 AM Post #617 of 645
No joy unfortunately, the wife put a stop to my purchase. She reminded me I was planning on getting a new big screen tv on Black Friday so I had to choose between the DAP or the TV and I need the TV more. I argued I would take the cost of the DAP out of the TV budget but she wasn't persuaded by that agrument. I love my life but sometimes she can be a real buzz kill!!
It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:49 AM Post #618 of 645
It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
Not when you have been married as long as me and risk losing half your money in a divorce :scream:. My wife is frugal like no other but she is also the reason I am able to retire at 60, without her I would be living in a shack surrounded by tech gear and begging for scraps.

Losing out on this sale could be a blessing in disguise. I just finished going through the Cayin N3Ultra thread and this baby could be my tech budget for 2025!! I came so close to getting the N3Pro when it came out but my budget couldn't stretch that far at the time. This N3Ultra and to a lesser degree the Hiby RS2 really appeal to the audiophile in me. I figure by this time next year maybe during the aliexpress sale again it could be a possibility. Following the N3Ultra thread will likely become my next tech obsession depending of course on what other DAP's may drop this year.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #619 of 645
Not when you have been married as long as me and risk losing half your money in a divorce :scream:. My wife is frugal like no other but she is also the reason I am able to retire at 60, without her I would be living in a shack surrounded by tech gear and begging for scraps.

Losing out on this sale could be a blessing in disguise. I just finished going through the Cayin N3Ultra thread and this baby could be my tech budget for 2025!! I came so close to getting the N3Pro when it came out but my budget couldn't stretch that far at the time. This N3Ultra and to a lesser degree the Hiby RS2 really appeal to the audiophile in me. I figure by this time next year maybe during the aliexpress sale again it could be a possibility. Following the N3Ultra thread will likely become my next tech obsession depending of course on what other DAP's may drop this year.
I don't know how the Cayin N3 Pro or the Ultra are (may be warm warm warm because its tubes), but Tempotec V6 still sounds better than the RS2 for my ears. They are pretty close, but V6 has a bigger scenario and more details.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #620 of 645
I don't know how the Cayin N3 Pro or the Ultra are (may be warm warm warm because its tubes), but Tempotec V6 still sounds better than the RS2 for my ears. They are pretty close, but V6 has a bigger scenario and more details.
Yes they are but they are also the most natural sounding option. I actually sold home audio tube amps and they were they most amazing sounding amps I have ever heard.
The attraction of the RS2 (R2R) and N3Ultra (tubes) they are old school, before opamps became the norm. It is more about the natural purity of the sound vs any technical advantage.

These DAP's won't necessarily appeal to a younger generation especially since the don't have wifi or streaming. But for my generation they were what really high end audio gear used. It is harder to appreciate the appeal if you didn't grow up with it. Kind of making a comeback much like vinyl records have come back in style. My nieces and nephews are in their late 20's and early 30's and they all have turntables and building vinyl collections, mostly my influence but they really are getting into having physical media again vs just digital downloaded and streaming music. Whenever they visit they immediately go through my records and listen to my music on my high end turntable and audio system. As the saying goes, what is old is new again and I think music is better for it.

They wouldn't be making these types of DAP's if there wasn't a demand for them.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #621 of 645
I sent three bug reports (two by E-mail and one by form on the TempoTec's website). I didn't get any response, so I want to publish the report here.
I apologize for my very bad English.
"<...>
I have the latest 1.0 firmware and it generally works fine.
Unfortunately there are some annoying issues I had using this DAP with 1.0 firmware.
- If V3 is connected to smartphone as BT receiver (with any BT codec), the music is stopped, and I trying to power off the V3, so it cannot to power off but it goes to reboot cycle. If I tried to hold power off button until it powered off, the next boot starts from initial setup with language choosing menu and the system settings are resetted.
I also noticed a bug in working with the KZ AZ20 earhooks - if Bluetooth is turned on boot, then opening the case with the earhooks KZ AZ20, connecting the earhooks to the player does not occur correctly - the SBC icon is displayed, and an attempt to start playback does not lead to anything. But if I then turn off Bluetooth on the V3 and turn it on again, the re-connection occurs with the correct aptX codec, then an error occurs on the first track, and the next one plays without any problems. At the same time, there are no problems at all with the KZ AZ09Pro earhooks, they always connect immediately and under any conditions with aptX, and immediately begin playback without errors. With the HiBy WU1 Bluetooth neckband there is no any problems with choosing codecs.
- Sometimes after trying to play the music file with unsupported format, V3 stuck on COAX mode and cannot play next supported track then, until reboot.
- During playing Qobuz any song, and using the seek position to track (to forward on some position on track) the song goes to full volume on very short time then goes to normal volume. It dangerous for hearing and sensitive balanced armature IEM.
- The changing sound volume can stuck and continue goes itself to full volume sometimes.
- With using HiBy Link connection, V3 can spontaneously goes to reboot.
- The Tidal app cannot get the latest Tidal feature 'HiRes FLAC support' with MAX quality.
- The feature "maximum digital volume output" does not change volume to maximum but just blocks volume changing.
- (not important, just notice) With using HiBy FC6 USB DAC, V3 makes MQA unfold itself and not on FC6.

Can I also request a few new features for better experience and sound tuning?
It would be great to have the following features:
- add the ability to use two AK4493SEQ digital filter for DSD. With firmware 1.0 you have added only six PCM digital filters and I really thankful for that feature.
- it would be great if you add the ability to choose "Sound Quality Adjustment Function" in accordance page 59 on AK4493SEQ datasheet. It will allow to users to tune sound color like in Zishan DSD that has this feature.
- Can you add the battery percentage status for connected Bluetooth TWS modules like KZ AZ20 and HiBy WU1?
I previously tried to get the TWS battery charge status from console command line on HiBy R3Pro DAP with similar HiBy OS platform and it can be used on V3 also.
gatttool binary file is presented in firmware. I use the command:
Code:
gatttool -b <MAC_address_TWS> --char-read --uuid=0x2A19 | awk '{print $4}'
then convert value from HEX to DEC.
Then the value is also needs to show on top bar user interface but that requires to modify main application and I cannot do that without source codes.

I also noticed that V3 cannot support to play 32bit FLAC and 32bit WavPack Audio Format (*.wv).
It can shows 24bit *.wv files in file list though but cannot play them. I also tried these 32bit PCM test files from the resource <link>
But it can play usual WAV 32bit/32bit float though.

Another issue, V3 cannot play the specific SACD in ISO. I tried this SACD from <link> , V3 reads the track list from ISO but cannot play any track on the list and shows error messages.

Can you exclude the file /usr/resource/dac_out_more_than_384k_fail from firmware to support 705kHz and 786kHz output to external USB DAC?
Without that file, I can play 705kHz and 786kHz FLAC with output to USB DAC FoxLess DA1.
Can you also exclude the file /usr/resource/bt_more_than_192k_fail from the firmware to support to play >192kHz PCM with Bluetooth?
There is no issues to play the files without that limit.

Sincerely, <...>"

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #623 of 645
Hello, I've been charging it still using a standard 5V charger but the battery percentage is still 0%. If I try to disconnect it it'll say battery is exhausted and will turn off. Is this normal or should I contact CS now?
Did you manage to fix/figure things out?

Trickle charge it. Similar thing happened to my V6.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #625 of 645
V3 is my favourite small DAP, when connected to additional small amp Douk V3 (with Burson V7C opamp inside) it sounds far beyond its price. My favourite sound signature for HD650 👌

Attachments

• 20240402_164621.jpg
    20240402_164621.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240402_162909.jpg
    20240402_162909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #627 of 645
I have been checking in on this thread periodically and it was pretty dead. I am still unable to find any youtube reviews for it in english. For just a few bucks more the hiby R4 looks like a much better DAP and I can't justify considering the V3 with the R4 releasing soon.

The V3 really ticked alot of boxes for me but it simply can't compare to everything you get with the R4 unfortunately.

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #628 of 645
I have been checking in on this thread periodically and it was pretty dead. I am still unable to find any youtube reviews for it in english. For just a few bucks more the hiby R4 looks like a much better DAP and I can't justify considering the V3 with the R4 releasing soon.

The V3 really ticked alot of boxes for me but it simply can't compare to everything you get with the R4 unfortunately.
The unreleased / unavailable Hiby R4 is a better choice as there are no English Youtube reviews of the V3? Ok!
:ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2024 at 1:40 AM Post #630 of 645
The unreleased / unavailable Hiby R4 is a better choice as there are no English Youtube reviews of the V3? Ok!
:ksc75smile:
I just watched a youtube review in English on the R4 and it looks very promising. Yes I like to check out video reviews in English so I can see the DAP in operation and understand what the reviewer is saying about it. The V3 has been out for several months and I just did a search and still reviews are scarce including from the major review sites. I like to read alot of reviews before I buy like I will with the R4. I don't buy DAP's often like alot of you do on this forum and living in Canada most of them have to be imported as we don't have a seller/distributor like Musicteck in Canada I can source DAP's from and it is expensive to import from Musicteck to Canada.

If you were thinking of buying a DAP in the next few months (Black Friday) and you were considering the V3 or the R4. Which would you choose based on the hardware and specs to compare them at this point and what you know about both to this point? You guys know alot more about the V3 than I do and I know some of you have been looking at the R4 thread so you tell me at this point based on what we know about the R4. What makes the V3 a better choice than the R4 for around the same price? If I could buy the V3 from amazon.ca or .com to try I would but that isn't an option. Importing a DAP from China from a manufacturer I don't know much about is a factor for sure and makes me apprehensive.

All I am basing my decision on at this point, the known hardware and specs and yes the manufacturing history of both manufacturers. I am sure my posts drive people crazy with my jumping from DAP to DAP (it drives the wife crazy as well) but with the frequency DAP's are released it is hard not to. While I was waiting for Black Friday the R4 was announced out of the blue and it is in my price range along with the V3 and a few others. The discrete Class A amp in the R4 caught my attention of course much like the tube amp in the N3 Ultra and the R2R ladder DAC in the RS2. The discrete Class A amp, the tube amp, the R2R resistor ladder DAC, these are all old school tech I grew up with and sold so of course seeing it now appearing in DAP's has me excited and tips the scale to these DAP's over the others, and the R4 at $249 is affordable for me. But it does not mean I won't end up with one of the others if the price is right come Black Friday. The list is still changing and the order of the DAP's on the list keep changing and likely will right up until the final purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back