The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 17, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #3,796 of 21,761
Okay, the FXD80's are borked. (Trying to let them rest in alcohol didn't help.)

That article was pretty interesting Kiteki, but I kind of feel like that's a problem that takes care of itself in time; ie: if Jakarta is so awful won't people move and start conducting business elsewhere anyway?

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #3,798 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm getting a Zana Deux soon, and was wondering if it's powerful enough for ortho's?

Quote:
I own the HE-500's, LCD-2's and LCD-3's and I can tell you that claims as to what you need to drive any of those are greatly exaggerated.  I'd imagine the ZD is just fine for everything but the HE-6's.  Don't let anyone tell you you need an inferior sounding amp (compared to the ZD) like a Lyr or something for moar power.

Orthodynamics are no more or less efficient than an average high-quality dynamic headphone. The reputation they have for being power-hungry is overstated.

The HE-6 is the only exception, and to be honest even that reputation is overstated. It sounds nicer with a lot of power, but it doesn't need it.

It's as if everybody had assumed any given dynamic headphone needs to be attached to a speaker amp because, man, those K1000s...

I'm a little curious why you would buy an amp before knowing whether it'll work with your current equipment.

Quote:

Pricing for this little beauty is only 1895.00 bones

Better-looking than many skeleton watches I've seen lately, but it kind of looks like an oversized movie prop.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3,800 of 21,761
Quote:
I'm getting a Zana Deux soon, and was wondering if it's powerful enough for ortho's?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I think the power requirements of orthos get exaggerated quite a bit. Really, the single-digit HiFiMen are the only "tough" loads, and it's not not exactly from a raw volume standpoint (the headphone out of my MacBook drives the HE-6) but from a dynamics and headroom standpoint. The more power you put behind the HE-6 for instance, the punchier and more well-defined the bass, the better the sense of presence, etc. Underamping tends to make headphones sound flat and lifeless.

That being said, the Zana Deux SE drives the HE-6 pretty well. It wouldn't be my first choice: I'd prefer the Super 7 or 2A3 from Eddie Current, or the Status from DNA, or even the B22. However it works pretty well. The bit about the HE-6s needing an aircraft engine-level of power behind them is silly.

If it's an Audez'e ortho then it'll be no problem. Orthos in general aren't exactly demanding loads.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #3,804 of 21,761
Quote:
Now that my birthday present is decided, I wonder what to get for Christmas? Any idea for shallow sub $100 IEMs to use in bed while lying on my side?
EDIT: the cheaper the better.

The new apple earbuds are actually pretty good as a sleeping earbud...

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #3,807 of 21,761
Now that my birthday present is decided, I wonder what to get for Christmas? Any idea for shallow sub $100 IEMs to use in bed while lying on my side?

The new apple earbuds are actually pretty good as a sleeping earbud...

Oh yeah. I tried my friend's once when he just got an iPhone 5. Bafflement followed by big, resigned grin. They are kind of hella good. I guess I'm getting that.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #3,808 of 21,761

UE700 

x2 - I think maverickronin asked this question once, and his profile indicates he went for the KSC75 for sleeping in I think (?)

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #3,810 of 21,761
Vsonics are pretty good for sleeping in too since they're flat.

I really don't get why no one on head-fi has heard the R04 flagship edition (discontinued, still in stock).

p.s. Another headphone brand seemingly actually really popular recently in Japan / Asia and non-existant on h-f

kalistaadenis-1757932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back