The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jan 18, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #4,756 of 21,761
Quote:
I really wanna play JoJo's Bizarre Adventure For Matching Service on my old Dreamcast now.
biggrin.gif

I loved the Dreamcast game... it was off the hook (as is the matching service now probably...).

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #4,757 of 21,761
I've only read the manga up to the end of Stardust Crusaders a while back. I sort of got distracted after that and lost track of it all. Funny Valentine just struck me as a particularly wonderful character, so I read about him.

I plan on watching the anime soon based on your recommendation. I've only seen the OVAs.

And they are planning to do the adaptation up until that part. Considering that it's kind of tedious to read the manga; and this is coming from a fanboy of it; the anime serves as a better vehicle for the saga. The adaptation doesn't miss a beat of the manga so far; the action is better conveyed in animation anyway, and I would assume that would help very much when they start to get into Stardust Crusader later on; then augmented by stunning visual style and direction, lastly and most importantly brilliant sound effects and sound cues.

One thing pf worry though. Since this isn't officially translated, and so far there's no news of it going to be this early on AFAIK, there's some contention between which fansubbers are best. Some believed that being true to the translation, while still maintaining English coherency and sounding like contemporary speech*, is best, instead of interpretation based on the discretion of the subbing group**. I'd agree most of the time, but not for this, since the saga itself covers various human era, and along with that, speech norm. One group, IMO, has been doing a bloody stellar job at doing the latter[**] than the former[*]. For example, the starting saga Phantom Blood is in 189X or something, in England. While others would just do the former[*] kind of subbing, one group went beyond and made it match as much like it is from England during that time period. /fanboyramble

Just a heads up though, and I'd be happy to point the way when you want to dive into it.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #4,758 of 21,761
http://box-designs.com/main.php?prod=cdboxds&cat=source&lang=en

That's just cute as it gets. I've been looking for a cool little desktop CD transport. Slick.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #4,759 of 21,761
Quote:
So this be your first Custom IEM :). Hope it works out for you. The Custom TF10 sure left a lot to be desired in my case. To be honest I felt the TF10s sounded better stock.... Although for video games the sound staging/positioning was phenomenal and that is one thing I really liked about them. But for music, a big "hell no!" lol Then I had major fit/comfort issues, so that didn't help things. But I'm hoping that experience helped me to get my ear impressions done the proper way (in my case) where I won't have to suffer through refits :p. Although I heard we can have Kaysen of Fischer audio do the refits as part of an agreement between Heir? I forgot where I heard this but that seems much more promising than sending them back to China again....

I do too, I've always wondered about customs but never had the balls to give them a shot due to all the stories I've read of people having refit issues. The only reason I decided to finally give it a try was due to ardgedee's prompting and positive experience with Heir. The Fischer Audio doing refits for Heir is news to me. I've never heard anything about Fischer doing work for Heir.

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #4,760 of 21,761
Quote:
I do too, I've always wondered about customs but never had the balls to give them a shot due to all the stories I've read of people having refit issues. The only reason I decided to finally give it a try was due to ardgedee's prompting and positive experience with Heir. The Fischer Audio doing refits for Heir is news to me. I've never heard anything about Fischer doing work for Heir.

I know I heard it from somewhere before. I think even Dr. Moulton mentioned it in a post if I remember correctly.... It was some time ago that I read about it and that also set me at ease about making this purchase :wink:.

Still you are gonna be in for a very big surprise with the 1Pluse2s :wink:. They just seem to be getting better and better.... The Studio V 3rd ANV is an amazing pairing with them. I've never had the Studio V pair so well with any of my gear like this before....

Jan 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #4,761 of 21,761
Quote:
I know I heard it from somewhere before. I think even Dr. Moulton mentioned it in a post if I remember correctly.... Was some time ago that I read about it and that also set me at ease about making this purchase :wink:.

Fischer will do adjustments on Heir IEMs -- basically, if the fit can be improved by adding or shaving slight amounts of acrylic. Refits have to be done at Heir's lab since that's effectively making a new custom from scratch (smashing open your old IEM to recover the electronics for the new IEM).

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #4,762 of 21,761
Quote:

Fischer will do adjustments on Heir IEMs -- basically, if the fit can be improved by adding or shaving slight amounts of acrylic. Refits have to be done at Heir's lab since that's effectively making a new custom from scratch (smashing open your old IEM to recover the electronics for the new IEM).

Ahh ok. I thought refits were the same thing :). Ok well hopefully I won't have to go through either....
rolleyes.gif

Did you have fit issues with your 4As?

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4,763 of 21,761
Quote:
Linux Mint really is something. I just installed Mint 14 (Nadia) Cinnamon 32 bit on my Fujitsu UH900 and I swear its breathed new life into my little netbook!

The instalation was incredibly easy, with the installer doing everything for you from partitioning to searching and downloading drivers (although I created the /boot, /, swap, and /home partitions myself)

Cinnamon was a stretch -its way to heavy for a single core 1.6GHz intel Atom- but running in Gnome is just wonderful. Windows 7 was never this responsive, even after a fresh install. Head-fi is now an absolute joy to use with none of the crashing or hangups in the Reply box that I had before, and live google searches are instant, and actually work. Everything seems faster and more reliable, and all of my ports work.

I'm loving all of the tools and features involved, and yet again, this fluidity is incredible. I never thought you could get this kind of performance with such weak hardware. At this rate I'll probably buy a cheap 13.3" Core-i3 ultrabook for school and keep the Fujitsu for relaxing at a coffee or tea shop.

Yeah, Mint is pretty good. However, for some reason, my installation of Mint turned out really buggy. I tried with both Cinnamon and Mate, yet they shared the same kind of bugs. Interestingly, I'm 99% certain that these bugs has to do with Ubuntu code, since trying Ubuntu 12.10 gave me the same annoying bugs. Instead of trying to fix it myself, I downloaded Xubuntu 12.04, because really, my only gripe with Ubuntu has been Unity and going with XFCE instead of their bastardized version of the already crippled Gnome 3 (oh, it isn't really crippled, but I don't like it as much as I liked Gnome 2) has been a good experience all along. No bugs, no nothing. Just pure linux love.

Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, Mint Nadia made me look like this:

Xubuntu 12.04 makes me look more like this:

If I find my USB stick (I'm pretty damn sure that my kids have played with it and put it somewhere) I'd like to try Debian Squeeze, but it's really no hurry. Xubuntu works just as well for now. Also, I did add some mint repositories so I don't have to deal with the crippled nautilus, but can use Nemo instead.

I'm sure Mint 13 would be a great rather bug-free experience, but tbh, I kind of look like this right now anyway:

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4,764 of 21,761
Quote:
Ahh ok. I thought refits were the same thing :). Ok well hopefully I won't have to go through either....
rolleyes.gif

Did you have fit issues with your 4As?

They're a little looser-fitting than I prefer (it's easy to pop them by moving my jaw), but for how I use them they're fine. I actually like how easily I can put them in and take them out while getting a complete seal. Only real problem I've had was when the tips of some universal IEMs were causing irritation at the entry of my ear canals, and the scars prevented sealing. That led to a sad week of no IEMs so that I could heal up.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,765 of 21,761
Quote:

They're a little looser-fitting than I prefer (it's easy to pop them by moving my jaw), but for how I use them they're fine. I actually like how easily I can put them in and take them out while getting a complete seal. Only real problem I've had was when the tips of some universal IEMs were causing irritation at the entry of my ear canals, and the scars prevented sealing. That led to a sad week of no IEMs so that I could heal up.

Well I guess a looser fit is better than one that literally cuts the insides of your ears when wearing them for long periods of time lol. That was my issue with the Custom TF10s. I think that is the best fit you could probably get in terms of isolation and acrylic :p. Since my jaw is very large (lots of room for the wisdom teeth to grow in lol) when I open my jaw wide it really expands my ear canals quite a bit. In fact if I do so with my large single flange tips I'll completely break the seal. So this time when doing my impressions I just used my index finger held sideways at the base of my jaw and relaxed my jaw in that position. Last time I opened my mouth about 2+ inches :p. I also decided to go to an audiologist instead of DIY.... Crossing my fingers....
popcorn.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,766 of 21,761
The HD800's came in. ColorWare for-the-win! Tonight they will be connected to the Zana. Hopefully, good things will follow.

I'm gearing-up for Crysis 3 and Bioshock: Infinite, got an HP 30" monitor coming in next week. Ebay has some good deals on 30-inchers right now.

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,770 of 21,761
Quote:
Yeah, Mint is pretty good. However, for some reason, my installation of Mint turned out really buggy. I tried with both Cinnamon and Mate, yet they shared the same kind of bugs. Interestingly, I'm 99% certain that these bugs has to do with Ubuntu code, since trying Ubuntu 12.10 gave me the same annoying bugs. Instead of trying to fix it myself, I downloaded Xubuntu 12.04, because really, my only gripe with Ubuntu has been Unity and going with XFCE instead of their bastardized version of the already crippled Gnome 3 (oh, it isn't really crippled, but I don't like it as much as I liked Gnome 2) has been a good experience all along. No bugs, no nothing. Just pure linux love.

Ubuntu 12.04, 12.10, Mint Nadia made me look like this:

Xubuntu 12.04 makes me look more like this:

If I find my USB stick (I'm pretty damn sure that my kids have played with it and put it somewhere) I'd like to try Debian Squeeze, but it's really no hurry. Xubuntu works just as well for now. Also, I did add some mint repositories so I don't have to deal with the crippled nautilus, but can use Nemo instead.

I'm sure Mint 13 would be a great rather bug-free experience, but tbh, I kind of look like this right now anyway:

lol...My install isn't bug free either. There is a constant beeping at all times, and when I try enter back in from suspend and hibernate I get the loveliest, most colorful error screen. Some icon's (like the home and computer icon) become unable to be highlighted/clicked too.

admittedly, this is the first time I've used linux, which is why I chose one of the more plug n play distros. I'm definitely sold on Linux for regular computing, but will have to see if I can install this properly on my netbook. If not, I'll just drop down to Maya and add the backports for 14, which should yield a little higher performance than 14 itself anyways.

Seriously though, it would be a lot more interesting if error screens were this colorful in windows. 8 does seem to be a bit of an improvement in that regard 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back